Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land owner tags

I think that the FWTF funding excuse is a stretch. I would guess that there is minimal revenue from a land owner tag (especially after you have to print it out :)). I would be willing to pay the full amount of a normal tag for the land owner tag. Heck, even put a rule in that you have to purchase a normal tag before the land owner tag. The land owner tag is more about meeting conservation goals on private properties that are not open to the public.

The electronic licenses have worked very well in Wisconsin and have eliminated the need for special printers and paper/stickers. The "computer programming" can likely be duplicated and have minimal investment for the Iowa DNR to implement. it will save a lot of money and headache in the end if implemented correctly.
The data would be pretty easy to look at and tell if they were accurate. you can figure out what tags were bought in what order and decifer which ones wouldn't have been purchased.

So would I, but would you support that option for the general public? I bet there are a lot of hunters who would willingly pay $60 or more for a floating tag.

No, I don’t know how the general public would qualify for a landowner tag. They are not landowners they would have to rewrite the bill anyway.

I can already hunt every season besides early muzzleloader season on my farm now as it stands. Statewide Archery any sex, Landowner for both shotgun seasons and Late Season Muzzleloader any sex tags. Landowner antlerless tags do NOT go by the County quota system. I also get an additional any sex tag for my Urban hunt and have since 2005. As I get older (48 now) I would love to just be able to hunt when the weather and hunting conditions are good and the Landowner tag that is good for any season would be awesome.

I get what you are saying, but you kind of laid out how good us landowners already have it. How much more can we get before the general public starts screaming for there fair share? There are a lot of non land owning hunters who are 48 and older who would also love to able to hunt when the conditions are good. I find it really hard to oppose a floating tag for them but support it for myself.

I think that the FWTF funding excuse is a stretch. I would guess that there is minimal revenue from a land owner tag (especially after you have to print it out :)). I would be willing to pay the full amount of a normal tag for the land owner tag. Heck, even put a rule in that you have to purchase a normal tag before the land owner tag. The land owner tag is more about meeting conservation goals on private properties that are not open to the public.

The electronic licenses have worked very well in Wisconsin and have eliminated the need for special printers and paper/stickers. The "computer programming" can likely be duplicated and have minimal investment for the Iowa DNR to implement. it will save a lot of money and headache in the end if implemented correctly.

I purchased a land owners tag and 2 statewide tags this year and never killed a buck. With a floating tag, I would have had no reason to buy the statewide tags.

I purchased a land owners tag and 2 statewide tags this year and never killed a buck. With a floating tag, I would have had no reason to buy the statewide tags.

Fair argument but in my situation I hunt other properties as well so I would buy them all anyway. So right here you have two opposite situations, it would be tough to calculate lost revenue but there would be some. In the big picture I think the delta would be relatively small- but data would be nice to see before a conclusion is made.

There were over 32,000 either sex landowner tags purchased last year. It this keeps 1 extra $28 tag from being purchased for each, that is almost $900,000 not spent. That is obviously a high end, but gives you an idea of what we could be talking about.

I personally love the idea of a floating landowner tag, but think it is a bad idea for the overall good of deer hunting in Iowa.

Separating what is good for me and what is good for us, is often tough. My first reaction was "I love it". After some thinking about it, I am now against it.

Last edited:
I'm way behind on this bill, Passed the Senate on 2/20, was assigned to the House Natural Resources Committee on 2/21 and assigned to a subcommittee on 3/20 and a sub committee hearing on 4/1 at 3pm in the House Lounge.

Subcommittee members:

Representative Terry Baxter House District 8, Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties. Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

Representative Anne Osmundson, House District 56, Allamakee and parts of Clayton County Anne.Osmundson@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page:https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27029

Representative Mark Smith, District 71, the northeast part of Marshall County including Marshalltown. Email: mark.smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=64

I'm a bit confused on what became of this bill. I have heard it didn't make the funnel, I have heard that it was tabled/unfinished business, I heard that a "poison pill" amendment that would allow any NR with 350 acres to get full family tags was threatened to be offered.

I'm still trying to track this down. I can't find it on the list of bills that were sent to the unfinished business calendar.

Anybody else know where this is?

I'm a bit confused on what became of this bill. I have heard it didn't make the funnel, I have heard that it was tabled/unfinished business, I heard that a "poison pill" amendment that would allow any NR with 350 acres to get full family tags was threatened to be offered.

I'm still trying to track this down. I can't find it on the list of bills that were sent to the unfinished business calendar.

That poison pill would be terrible. Thunk ground is expensive now.... just wait.

Huh??
Does it have to be 350 acres in one chunk??☺️

Keep us updated Bonk this bill is on the same line as HF716..... very bad for the residents of Iowa

If NR's can get archery tag every year, only Professional sports players and tv personalities will own high quality hunting land in Iowa.

Keep us updated Bonk this bill is on the same line as HF716..... very bad for the residents of Iowa

Remember, a "poison pill" amendment is something that is threated to be added to a bill to try and kill the bill. The pill is designed to make the bill so unpalatable to both sides of an issue that the bill goes away. I don't think the legislator that threatened the amendment would ever really want this proposal to actually happen. It kinda ranks up there with big boy/big girl politics.

Having said that, I'm still trying to track down where the bill is in the legislative process. Lets not get wound up just yet.

Top Bottom