Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 1221 Another Public land Bill

ElkHunter

Life Member
SSB 1221

We now have an anti-public land bill in the senate to fight. It is much more subtly written but prevents public land acquisition. It even specifically mentions water control structures for flood and water quality purposes.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=%24selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=ssb1221

There's a senate subcommittee meeting this Monday at 12:30.

The Senators on the subcommittee are:

SENATE SUB-COMMITTEE (SSB1221):
Sen. Dan Zumbach (Delaware) dan.zumbach@legis.iowa.gov District 48 Buchanan, Delaware,Jones, linn Counties

Sen. Jerry Behn (Boone) jerry.behn@legis.iowa.gov District 24 Boone, Greene, Hamilton, Story, Webster Counties

Sen. Nate Boulton (Polk) nate.boulton@legis.iowa.gov District 16 Polk County

Capitol phone 515- 281-3371 – Ask to speak to Senators or leave message.

Below are all members of Senate Natural Resources Committee

Senate Members

Ken Rozenboom (R, District 40), Chair

Tom Shipley (R, District 11), Vice Chair

Robert Hogg (D, District 33), Ranking Member

Jerry Behn (R, District 24)

Nate Boulton (D, District 16)

Claire Celsi (D, District 21)

Chris Cournoyer (R, District 49)

Tim L. Kapucian (R, District 38)

Jim Lykam (D, District 45)

Mark Segebart (R, District 6)

Jackie Smith (D, District 7)

Annette Sweeney (R, District 25)

Dan Zumbach (R, District 48)

That is quite a list of lobbiests, with only 2 groups for it - FB and Iowa Cattleman's.

Cookie cutter response from several who support the bill. Somehow they feel these public projects are taking opportunities away from first-time farmers.

I asked if they had any supporting statistics showing the amount of property the state purchased away from farming operations. I'd imagine those statistics (if they exist) drop drastically when you focus purely on first-time farmers.

I full support farmers & especially first-time farmers but this doesn't add up.

Thanks. I don't do Facebook but could still see the video. The Iowa BHA chapter smashed the weekend record for most new members. Glad to see it getting some support

To answer your earlier question I wasn't in attendance but I've heard there were 700 or so folks who were there to voice their opinions against this bill, I'm sure a few of them were sporting BHA logos.

The House Sub didn't even vote on the House version of the bill (HF 542) they saw the opposition and said no thanks. The Senate, on the other hand, did and it passed out of sub committee.

It is a good bet that the House version will resurface as an Appropriations bill meaning it wouldn't need to get past any of the funnel dates except for the final gavel closing the session. It can be reintroduced at any time.

The Senate bill has legs. By the virtue of the senate having only 50 members entities who support this kind of legislation only have to convince 26 senators to move it instead of 51 of the 100 members of the house. It's easier (and cheaper) to persuade the votes in the face of overwhelming opposition when they only need to garner 26 votes.

We cannot let down. Keep hammering away. 700 people showed up to say NO, 2 entities showed up to say YES. The House got it right, the Senate, not so much.

To comment on the BHA smashing records I was at the BHA booth a few times during the Classic. It was jammed with members and folks wanting to become members. I signed up and went to their Pint Night at Confluence Brewery Saturday evening. What a bunch of great folks. It is so good to see a new group that is willing to take a political stand and fight for what they believe in. They aren't about the biggest rack, the correct camo, the best boat or the correct way to rig a plastic worm. They are all about making sure their kids have a place to hunt, fish, hike or float.

To answer your earlier question I wasn't in attendance but I've heard there were 700 or so folks who were there to voice their opinions against this bill, I'm sure a few of them were sporting BHA logos.

The House Sub didn't even vote on the House version of the bill (HF 542) they saw the opposition and said no thanks. The Senate, on the other hand, did and it passed out of sub committee.

It is a good bet that the House version will resurface as an Appropriations bill meaning it wouldn't need to get past any of the funnel dates except for the final gavel closing the session. It can be reintroduced at any time.

The Senate bill has legs. By the virtue of the senate having only 50 members entities who support this kind of legislation only have to convince 26 senators to move it instead of 51 of the 100 members of the house. It's easier (and cheaper) to persuade the votes in the face of overwhelming opposition when they only need to garner 26 votes.

We cannot let down. Keep hammering away. 700 people showed up to say NO, 2 entities showed up to say YES. The House got it right, the Senate, not so much.

To comment on the BHA smashing records I was at the BHA booth a few times during the Classic. It was jammed with members and folks wanting to become members. I signed up and went to their Pint Night at Confluence Brewery Saturday evening. What a bunch of great folks. It is so good to see a new group that is willing to take a political stand and fight for what they believe in. They aren't about the biggest rack, the correct camo, the best boat or the correct way to rig a plastic worm. They are all about making sure their kids have a place to hunt, fish, hike or float.
Thanks for the update Bonker. Hopefully your persuaded a few of them to also align themselves with the IBA

Thanks for the update Bonker. Hopefully your persuaded a few of them to also align themselves with the IBA

We did get some crossover. Some are already members.

I am a little upset though. My phone hasn't beeped yet with a message that I won a raffle prize. I was hoping that I had finally joined an organization that I had some hope of changing my raffle prize luck. The writing was on the wall though, I didn't win a door prize at pint night either.

Another fun little story, I was in the elevator at the hotel and a guy got on. His hat had FILSON embroidered on it. Based on Muddy's post on hunting pants from months ago (someone recommended Filson) I engaged the gentleman in a conversation about Filson. I went to the BHA booth to get info on Pint Night and was introduced to the CEO for BHA. It was the guy wearing the Filson hat. Who knew?

As soon as you said the Filson hat I figured it was Land. Seems like a good guy. Sorry to let you down but I watched the live raffle and I don't think either one of us won anything

It was awesome to see so much support in opposition of the bill. One of my favorite points made in this specific committee was that SRF money spent on conservation easements in grasslands devalues that land substantially, to the point that were that land to be sold, a beginning farmer could purchase it for pennies on the dollar. All while still keeping it in production.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was awesome to see so much support in opposition of the bill. One of my favorite points made in this specific committee was that SRF money spent on conservation easements in grasslands devalues that land substantially, to the point that were that land to be sold, a beginning farmer could purchase it for pennies on the dollar. All while still keeping it in production.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can you explain? If there is an easement, how can they keep it in production?

Just a random FYI...my insurance rep called me today to try to upsell me on some investment product that they have. (I already have people for that. :)) And since the name of the insurance company includes the "Farm Bureau" namesake...I firmly, but politely told her that I am very displeased with the Farm Bureau at this time and even if I was interested in their additional products that I would not be buying anything more from the Farm Bureau...in fact, I am now considering switching insurance companies over this.

Just a random FYI...my insurance rep called me today to try to upsell me on some investment product that they have. (I already have people for that. :)) And since the name of the insurance company includes the "Farm Bureau" namesake...I firmly, but politely told her that I am very displeased with the Farm Bureau at this time and even if I was interested in their additional products that I would not be buying anything more from the Farm Bureau...in fact, I am now considering switching insurance companies over this.

Years ago, I WAS a Farm Bureau member until their lobbying efforts did not parallel my views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom