Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using a light source to hunt coyotes SF374

Looks like it kills regular spotlights and only allows Infrared Emitters mounted on a night Vision Scope

Can someone explain the reasoning for that change?
Everyone was worried that making regular spotlights legal for coyote hunting would substantially increase poaching of deer.
Even those who did not intend to go poach might just give in to temptation when a big buck shows up in their spotlight and they have a high-powered rifle already in their hands.

Maybe there should be an amendment to suspend the proposed law from August through April. In other words when bucks have antlers.

Passed Senate with an amendment that would prohibit the use of IR scopes using IR illuminators during established shotgun and ML seasons.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=SF537

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean no IR coyote hunting during youth, early ML, gun 1, gun 2 and late ML? Seems to cut out some prime coyote killing time. My first reaction is this is a pretty fair compromise. As always though, open to suggestions.

Refresher on this bill, Passed the Senate 47-1, sent to the House, assigned to the Natural Resources Committee who assigned a sub-committee.

The sub-committee met at 1230 today and did not pass the bill.

I am quite surprised. Just goes to show that you never know what can happen in the legislature. This does not mean the bill is 100% dead, no bill ever is but it gives me hope on some other legislation that is in the que.

Don't forget to thank the legislators you emailed about this bill.

Top Bottom