Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

I received my seedling order from MDC yesterday and good weather today to get some planting done after work. 250 cedar and 100 persimmons. I remember someone saying that they dipped the roots in water with some solition before putting in the ground. What was that?
I will be planting with a a hand planting bar.

I received my seedling order from MDC yesterday and good weather today to get some planting done after work. 250 cedar and 100 persimmons. I remember someone saying that they dipped the roots in water with some solition before putting in the ground. What was that?
I will be planting with a a hand planting bar.

Trying plugs this year. Nursery noted the plug diameter is about 1.4"
Seems the smallest drill bit auger I can find is 2". Maybe a 1.75". Will either work or will they be too big?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just got a few Miracle Tubes from Mike Hamilton in Robins, IA. (319)573-0615. Talked to him for quite a while on the phone about the tubes. Just thought I'd give him a shout out as he had some great customer service, my tubes showed up quick and he gave me an awesome price! I'll be getting more for sure as I love how you don't have to assemble them and I'm not planting a million trees so that should work.

Got 720 red cedar plugs from Chief River Nursery in today. I was expecting a much larger box but they pack them in there well. Looking forward to planting these tmrw and likely thinning them in 30yrs! Haha

5fcaac3929e7af081429189cdcf1c7bf.jpg

38b19a259c288020952ff490a4147728.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna agree with that! My old go-to time lapse of just under 10 years....

de15bf0a31486b465883db4c01353b9f.jpg
7f0a4bcd16c84354354ff9cec357be1c.jpg

Got 720 red cedar plugs from Chief River Nursery in today. I was expecting a much larger box but they pack them in there well. Looking forward to planting these tmrw and likely thinning them in 30yrs! Haha

5fcaac3929e7af081429189cdcf1c7bf.jpg

38b19a259c288020952ff490a4147728.jpg

Got 500 cedar plugs in today from Itasca, really slick

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mine Norway's didnt fare so well over the winter. Oretty sure I lost 80ish out of my 100 I planted last year
89756bac0c46d94fe5c1935f625cde25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Holy mother. Planted 45 white oaks today with tubes and 50 white pine seedlings yesterday. I’m worn out! No idea how you guys plant the numbers that you do. Feels great getting them in though.
6add5b00a9fea900cd0441d53aa80d31.jpg

1f6ecc9dcab540007446475697af6f95.jpg

Doesn’t look too good. :(. Still see a little green. Wonder if tiny chance some bounce back? How did they look going into winter?

Looking good on oaks and tubes though- well done!!!

All the Norway's looked great goin into winter. I'm gonna call the nursery tommorow and try and order some more. Want to add some red ovals also

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Holy mother. Planted 45 white oaks today with tubes and 50 white pine seedlings yesterday. I’m worn out! No idea how you guys plant the numbers that you do. Feels great getting them in though.

One thing I've learned about tree planting, larger trees aren't better if you want to plant a lot of them! Larger trees = larger roots = lots more time required to plant and seat the roots properly. That was the benefit of those plugs, they were 4-8" cedars but man you could put a lot in quickly and I suspect the survival rate will be higher with them. Roots just looked healthier and don't J-hook on ya.

One thing I've learned about tree planting, larger trees aren't better if you want to plant a lot of them! Larger trees = larger roots = lots more time required to plant and seat the roots properly. That was the benefit of those plugs, they were 4-8" cedars but man you could put a lot in quickly and I suspect the survival rate will be higher with them. Roots just looked healthier and don't J-hook on ya.

Totally agree. My pines and oaks were all bare root and small. Still took me a while. Dibble bar was awesome to have though.

Pretty sure 99% of the trees i planted died. Yesterday was first rain of month for me. Simply just dried out. Bad luck planting trees in driest April I can remember.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom