Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF716/necked cartridge update

What is with you all. The sport is dying in Iowa. With each year, less and less of you bow hunters are in the field and the license counts are going down, and less people like us exist. We are a dieing breed. And when a bill comes out to expand the opportunities to get more people engaged and open up more options, you decry it....with false facts. This bill does not legalize straighwalls. Would you guys look up from your protected "bow hunter kingdom" for a moment and realize whats happening to our sport and our industry. The DNR has numbers to prove it. Each year, less and less of us get out in the field. Instead of beating up Pro 2A legislators why don't you work with us to get more people in the field.

I am the one that pushed and authored alot of this legislation. You want to ask questions, ask them here. There is an army of us hunters that are asking for this, we asked the legislators to do this. HUNTERS just like you. So here is your chance. Beat me up, beet a fellow hunter up. Ask me the tuff questions. We just want to get more youth and more people in the field. In 20 years, the DNR won't have any money to perserve any wildlife because you all have died off, and didn't do your job to encourage new people to get out in the field.

Is that the legacy you want to hand down?

You want youth out in the field? Then take a kid hunting! It doesn't even have to be your kid! Volunteer your time, teach him to hunt with the weapons that are currently legal in the state of Iowa that have made this state the Whitetail Hunting Leader that it is. I have a son that is 13, he wants to bow hunt more than anything but currently he doesn't pull enough weight in my opinion to ethically take a deer so until he does, he will have to wait to bow hunt, he still goes with me and he understands that and doesn't love it any less. Now he has taken two bucks and several does the last two years with a muzzleloader and is perfectly happy with that. He isn't out there asking why can't I use a rifle to shoot one like Grandpa who lives out west. No, he loves the sport for what it is the hunt not the kill. He doesn't need or want a high power rifle, he is happy to hunt within the rules of the state and is fine in doing so. That attitude doesn't come from being raised needing what everyone else has in other states. That comes with being raised to work or hunt within the rules that are given to him and he has never complained once. I am guessing most kids with quality adults in their lives are the same way and the future will be just fine in their hands as long as they have land opportunities to hunt on, not gun caliber opportunities.

They are learning that things aren't easy and that you shouldn't be given everything in your life. Things earned are much better than things given. That is the biggest problem with this world right now and it starts at the top with our Government (give them everything, don't make them work for it) but that is a different argument so when you say you want to get more youth in the field, then take youth to the field and rather than add weapons for them, add opportunities at more public land to go hunting on not less. Keep opportunities at keeping land in CRP so they have pheasants and other small game to chase. That is the real restriction right now, they aren't making any more land and when you put handcuffs on the DNR to purchase land to go into public hunting, you reduce opportunities for not only youth but all hunters to take the field. Think about that.

I'm proud of the legacy I am handing down to my son and his friends that we take hunting!

Anyways, Im sorry to be a troll on yall's forum. Ill duck out now and never come back. I just got fired up on this topic and thought you just might have misunderstood the bill. Ive been fighting for 2A, hunting, and other rights, with my kids, for years. Sometimes at the expense of my own health and sanity. Its just disheartening and frustrating with other sportsmen come out against legislation, with the sole intent of making hunting more accessible to others, and limiting government overreaching.

You may have legit reasons in your mind, but I just don't get it. At the end of the day, I appreciate that you are fellow sportsmen, and I will always tip my hat to you and nod if we see each other in the field.

But on this topic, we are on opposite end of the debate, and we all will continue to fight for what we think is right.

Is there a portion of this new law that limits case length or calibers?
Yes

The law clarifies the minimum length of barrel (four inches), caliber range (.350-.500 diameter) and the minimum muzzle energy (500 foot pounds or higher) necessary that can be used for the taking of deer with a pistol or revolver.

You want youth out in the field? Then take a kid hunting! It doesn't even have to be your kid! Volunteer your time, teach him to hunt with the weapons that are currently legal in the state of Iowa that have made this state the Whitetail Hunting Leader that it is. I have a son that is 13, he wants to bow hunt more than anything but currently he doesn't pull enough weight in my opinion to ethically take a deer so until he does, he will have to wait to bow hunt, he still goes with me and he understands that and doesn't love it any less. Now he has taken two bucks and several does the last two years with a muzzleloader and is perfectly happy with that. He isn't out there asking why can't I use a rifle to shoot one like Grandpa who lives out west. No, he loves the sport for what it is the hunt not the kill. He doesn't need or want a high power rifle, he is happy to hunt within the rules of the state and is fine in doing so. That attitude doesn't come from being raised needing what everyone else has in other states. That comes with being raised to work or hunt within the rules that are given to him and he has never complained once. I am guessing most kids with quality adults in their lives are the same way and the future will be just fine in their hands as long as they have land opportunities to hunt on, not gun caliber opportunities.

They are learning that things aren't easy and that you shouldn't be given everything in your life. Things earned are much better than things given. That is the biggest problem with this world right now and it starts at the top with our Government (give them everything, don't make them work for it) but that is a different argument so when you say you want to get more youth in the field, then take youth to the field and rather than add weapons for them, add opportunities at more public land to go hunting on not less. Keep opportunities at keeping land in CRP so they have pheasants and other small game to chase. That is the real restriction right now, they aren't making any more land and when you put handcuffs on the DNR to purchase land to go into public hunting, you reduce opportunities for not only youth but all hunters to take the field. Think about that.

I'm proud of the legacy I am handing down to my son and his friends that we take hunting!

I do, I volunteer for trap team, I've started trap teams, I teach hunters education. I take vetrans, youth, other people out to the field every year, for tons of different types of hunts.

Yes

The law clarifies the minimum length of barrel (four inches), caliber range (.350-.500 diameter) and the minimum muzzle energy (500 foot pounds or higher) necessary that can be used for the taking of deer with a pistol or revolver.
Case length.... that is his question.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have no affiliation with the NRA or Gun manufacturers. Other than, I am a life member of the NRA, and I spend an insane amount of money each month to support my kids in trap and other shooting sports?

Your turn, why do you believe anyone that hunts with something other than a bow is a bad guy and its negative?
I hunt with a bow and guns. Why do you assume this is a bow hunter only debate? This isn't even a weapons debate for me. It's a conservation issue. I love guns. I own dozens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks to straight walls last year I can finally get my kids out in the field. The stupid restrictions on shotgun only killed new participation and women/female participation in the sport. a 450 with a proper comp or a 77/44 is WAY better than a 20G for youth.

Please stop disguising that this entire thread is ANYTHING other than a bunch aging bow hunters that want to keep their monopoly on big game in Iowa. Please start thinking about other sportsman other than yourself, and the coming generations.

Other sportsmen in Iowa? Then let's talk the Pheasant and Quail hunting opportunities out there. I live in Southern Iowa, a prime area for Pheasants and Quail but unless you can find CRP, you can't find a bird. If the Iowa Government is concerned with getting more sportsmen in the field, then why don't they come up with some way for farmers to keep waterways, CRP, etc. rather than farm roadside to roadside. There are other ways to get sportsmen in the field. Yes Iowa is arguably the best whitetail state in the US for a reason. It is also prime country for other hunting opportunities but that doesn't seem to be what your interested in when talking about getting more sportsmen in the field.

Thanks to straight walls last year I can finally get my kids out in the field. The stupid restrictions on shotgun only killed new participation and women/female participation in the sport. a 450 with a proper comp or a 77/44 is WAY better than a 20G for youth.

Please stop disguising that this entire thread is ANYTHING other than a bunch aging bow hunters that want to keep their monopoly on big game in Iowa. Please start thinking about other sportsman other than yourself, and the coming generations.

As a 25 year old hunter (bow and gun) with a baby boy due in less than a week, you are full of crap. Because you want your kids to hunt at 5 years old and shoot a deer is not a reason to ruin Iowa's hunting. I also have a degree in Biology and Environmental studies and have been hunting since I was 5 years old. Shot a squirrel when I was that young and thanks to my dad, I shot my first deer when I was 9 years old. 50cal muzzleloader with 70 grains of powder and 180 grain bullet does the trick on a 250 lb buck and guess what, I was small for my age. This type of legislation is what I fear for my kids and yet here it is. It will absolutely cause more people to leave the sport than add due to the lack of permission ground.

Not only will it hurt Iowa's deer hunting but I guarantee you see more deaths due to hunting accidents. Not only will hunters be killed but farmers, kids out playing in their yards on acreages, and even people driving cars. Stray rifle bullets go a heck of a lot further than shotgun bullets. So if you're all about your kids and their opportunities, I'd quickly think twice about this one...

I am fighting to make sure my kids have the same opportunities to hunt that I did - and be able to do it safely.
I do not believe that this bill makes either one of those goals more obtainable - but rather much the opposite.
In my opinion it will decrease the age structure of our deer and open up too many over-powered guns in the state and put them in the hands of untrained people who "spray and pray"
- people have already died because of the straight wall addition and more will die if more powerful rounds are added to the mix.

Yes

What about the maximum for the new rifle rounds it will add?

Nathan I’m not going to argue cause that would be a waste of time. A few observations with this bill and weasel politicians.

1. Cowards use kids as shields to get there agendas passed. This bill has many hidden agendas all in the name of kids. You already stated you want center fire rifles allowed and if this passes I give it a couple years to get introduced.

2. There is a bigger issue why hunters are dwindling and this bill won’t solve the problem long term.. you know.. I know it ... and others know it. I don’t have the answer why but access is a major player for this state and access will get worse.
3. I’m thinking you won’t be on this forum for the long haul but just long enough to stir the pot. I’m that aging bow hunter you were talking about and proud of it. I’ve seen the good years and I want future generations to see even better years.

Members on this forum are here because hunting Whitetails is a way of life and not just during deer season we live and breathe it year around.
So yes we are very protective of our way of life and we see through this bill and the hidden agendas.

You are so wrong about the other states mentioned yes they probably kill more deer but quality in general sucks.

In Iowa we say
0b3b8c11486df077c5672b09be536a56.jpg

and this bill is just that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed in support of the bill.

I like the idea of teaching our youth to hunt and encouraging it with handguns.

I like the idea of making the language adaptive to future calibers that fit the size.

I like forcing the NRC/DNR to use the federal definition of a pistol that isn't being hurled by fudd's against AR pistols.

I like the idea of expanding the caliber list and promoting hunting.

Thought it was interesting that Ted Miller was in some photos with your daughter after a deer harvest. Talk about a legendary hunter. As a bow hunter AND gun hunter I think he’d represent a huge majority of our opinions.

Curious what his opinion is on this topic. Any feedback?

I emailed in support of the bill.

I like the idea of teaching our youth to hunt and encouraging it with handguns.

I like the idea of making the language adaptive to future calibers that fit the size.

I like forcing the NRC/DNR to use the federal definition of a pistol that isn't being hurled by fudd's against AR pistols.

I like the idea of expanding the caliber list and promoting hunting.
Thanks for your opinion but just don’t call Ishi a old bowhunter:)

Top Bottom