Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR DEER LICENSE - INCREASE $

Colorado just changed. Now you have to buy an $80 small game license to apply for a preference point.

Some good points made here. Ultimately hunting out of state is a luxury item. Not everyone is going to be able to afford it. If you want to hunt the best unit in the best state it is going to be expensive. Just wait until the point creep starts kicking in. units that take 4 points now will take 8-10 points in 5-10 years.

Wish demand for our state would slow a bit. I believe the million-time re-hashed governor tag program to promote our state is still going on to this day too!!! :confused::cool::rolleyes:o_O
I would have to think you are right. Several TV hunters that I know do not fit the resident criteria get to hunt IA every year. Cool....

Is there a down vote button on here, LOL!!!! There were NR Landowner tags when I bought in MO. Fees went from $75 for a bow tag to $225 when they shitcanned the NR tag and rifle went up the same. And most laughable is turkey went to $190.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Its $225 for TWO archery any deer tags... stupid cheap

I love this topic. The NR is an easy target for sure. The DNR is worried about me shooting one deer every four years but completely ignore my amish neighbors who shot 13 deer last year from their makeshift blind attached to their "phone booth" 10 feet off the road with no license! Whatever. I'll keep doing it right.

I love this topic. The NR is an easy target for sure. The DNR is worried about me shooting one deer every four years but completely ignore my amish neighbors who shot 13 deer last year from their makeshift blind attached to their "phone booth" 10 feet off the road with no license! Whatever. I'll keep doing it right.
That TIP reward would cover your next license probably

Good call!!! I’d be nailing those guys!!!!
I think most are pretty “mild at most” on NR’s. ;). I sure don’t mind em. :). If we opened flood gates - that’d be a bad situation. One thing I’ll side with NR’s on.... I do feel bad.... u came here with rules & expectations “I buy land here - I can draw every other year”. Because of all that’s gone on in short time, now it’s 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 years.

Do you have proof or is this hear-say, rumors??
I’ve never known a DNR officer that doesn’t love busting offenders!

You'd be better off buying OTC tags in MO for 2-3 years instead of hunting Iowa for one year at that price. Just my 2 cents. Sure Iowa has quality deer, but unless you have private ground, the public land route requires A LOT of luck along with a TON of work to be successful.

The price is where it's at because the demand is there. If the NR tag price was cheaper, then the applicants would sky rocket and your wait would turn into 10+ years to draw a tag. It sucks, but it's only gonna get worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To above^^^^. I don’t get why more folks don’t buy in Ks?!?! I personally think it rivals Iowa in many parts of that state. I’m 2 hours from ks border. If I was a NR & I could drive 2 more hours & hunt comparable quality, EVERY YEAR - that would be no Brainer for me. I couldn’t do MO. But ks!!!! Oh ya!

To above^^^^. I don’t get why more folks don’t buy in Ks?!?! I personally think it rivals Iowa in many parts of that state. I’m 2 hours from ks border. If I was a NR & I could drive 2 more hours & hunt comparable quality, EVERY YEAR - that would be no Brainer for me. I couldn’t do MO. But ks!!!! Oh ya!
Shhh....don’t tell everyone. Yeah i don’t know if it’s just the media pumping up iowa or what, but for a public land hunter I think you would have a much better hunt in Kansas. I live in kansas now but have hunted Iowa my whole life. Both are good. Iowa is better for me because I have access to lots of private, but I hunt public in kansas and it’s dang good. took me a few years to figure out some good spots though.

I own land and am a NR. I’ve been hunting Iowa long enough to have seen the archery doe tag disappear, the points needed go from 2 to 4 years, the buy a point system and cost soar. I’m getting old enough to only have 3 or 4 more archery hunts before I’m too old at best. On the years I don’t draw an archery tag I get a doe only shotgun tag. I shoot a muzzleloader when i’m restricted to a gun. It will be bittersweet when I sell my property but with the cost and work to keep it going and some pressure from my wife to free up that money, along with the long wait I think this will be my last archery hunt next time I draw. It’s been a bumpy ride at times but I’m happy I went!

At nearly $900 to hunt a whitetail buck and doe (adding in the points) it is getting to the point of no return. It is definitely a good system for Iowa residents! I understand the logic, the best way to combat it is to become a resident, but probably not in the cards for many NR.

Sounds like a good deal to me for the state. One of perks of being a resident. If a small increase is going to prevent someone from applying and can't afford the small increase, then they probably should not be traveling to different states to begin with financially. Other thing is, if the price were to be lowered, then the wait to draw a tag as a NR would go up even more. Increase the nonresident tags at a lower price, then the quality of the hunting goes down, and then Iowa is no different that any other state.

Iowa is on top of it's game as far as making NR hunting limited. Look at Pike County Illinois, they had a cap on NR hunters that made it hard for every NR to get a tag every year in 2000. Then they raised the allotment a couple years later to meet the demand, not for deer management but for good ole cash, so now anyone can get a tag. The end result, the quality of mature buck that flourished for many years making that county the top destination for a NR to have a chance at a mature PIG of a buck. Since then the quality and numbers of mature buck have diminished considerably since the invasion of NR hunters. It was common to see several buck a day that were 150's to 180's or better at times but now you'd be lucky to see one 150 class hunting 10 days in November. Kudos to the Iowa DNR, just wished I lived there!

If other states would adapt Iowas regs many of the midwestern states would be the same or better than IA. Most of MO, WI, IL has more ideal whitetail habitat, along with portions of MN, NE, KS. If they would put the regs that IA has in place I think they would become better none states for big deer than IA.

If other states would adapt Iowas regs many of the midwestern states would be the same or better than IA. Most of MO, WI, IL has more ideal whitetail habitat, along with portions of MN, NE, KS. If they would put the regs that IA has in place I think they would become better none states for big deer than IA.
Absolutely no doubt!!!!! Going back in my head.... I think MO probably has 5 times the amount of habitat that Iowa does. MN & WI for sure do!!!! Those 3 states would be lights out, game over, blow iowa out of water IF they moved rifles to Dec 1!!!!

Absolutely no doubt!!!!! Going back in my head.... I think MO probably has 5 times the amount of habitat that Iowa does. MN & WI for sure do!!!! Those 3 states would be lights out, game over, blow iowa out of water IF they moved rifles to Dec 1!!!!

I would say MN would be very good if they moved the season to Dec 1, some areas would be crazy awesome. The northern part of the state still deals with tough winters and wolves, that would knock it back some. A draw for buck tags would be a dream come true, but that will probably not happen

Top Bottom