Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Awesome Letemgrow
Happy Memorial Day all!
Heres a couple DCO acorns i put into containers last fall. Unfortunately mice ravaged most of them.
Should I go ahead and stick these in the ground?
IMG_0201.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When choosing a tree to plant, pick one that you like but make sure it will thrive in your local environment. Native species will be easier to care for since they are already well adapted to your region, climate, and other conditions.

Awesome Letemgrow
Happy Memorial Day all!
Heres a couple DCO acorns i put into containers last fall. Unfortunately mice ravaged most of them.
Should I go ahead and stick these in the ground?
View attachment 118173

I’d avoid really hot days for transplanting and keep the rootball intact when you move it. That can be tricky to do sometimes with pots like that.

Have any of you harvested naturally occuring seedlings, potted them and then planted in a designated spot a few years later?
I was thinking about doing this but wanted to get some guidance first....

Have any of you harvested naturally occuring seedlings, potted them and then planted in a designated spot a few years later?
I was thinking about doing this but wanted to get some guidance first....

I collect the acorns (from the same spot) and plant them instead of digging up seedlings. I’ll pack in 10-12 tubes and plant on the way to a hunt, so I’m not disturbing the area anymore than necessary.

How big of a tree can be dug up and moved with just a shovel and bucket? I have a bunch of knee high white oaks that I would like to transplant into a new area.

I collect the acorns (from the same spot) and plant them instead of digging up seedlings. I’ll pack in 10-12 tubes and plant on the way to a hunt, so I’m not disturbing the area anymore than necessary.

Phil is the expert at growing trees from seed. I’ve had decent luck growing trees from acorns, but when looking to plant more than a couple dozen I just get bareroot seedlings. Nice part about acorns is the variety it allows you to get. Here’s a gobble sawtooth oak I started from an acorn given to me by Goatman on IW. Looking forward to getting some more acorns off it soon!

6637b342a72eba48f99ee44a19f56f86.jpg

How big of a tree can be dug up and moved with just a shovel and bucket? I have a bunch of knee high white oaks that I would like to transplant into a new area.

I've always heard that for the amount of growth you see above ground there's at least that much or 2x below ground in the root system. The tap root on an oak tree that size would be very long, you'd never get it all. If you've got the time to dig them up and baby them afterwards then I'd bet you have a 50/50 shot at them surviving. They'll just need some TLC the first couple years I'd guess after getting their tap root cut off when moving them.

The coons were not easy on my downy serviceberry when they had ripe fruit. They snapped several limbs on this one tree. I call these plantings the shrub cocktail: Downy Serviceberry, chokeberry and hazelnuts.

Snapped serviceberry limb and hazelnuts.

2eaa075eef762cb05781d651bc92d907.jpg

Chokeberry (Aronia berry) are ripe now in the mix.

8f71f97b7397154a885bdb0bd492d436.jpg

Do you guys mulch around any trees with tubes or just spray . I mulched around some cages apple trees last year and worked great . I have also used stone from the creek around trees.. ?

Do you guys mulch around any trees with tubes or just spray . I mulched around some cages apple trees last year and worked great . I have also used stone from the creek around trees.. ?

I’d mulch with stone around apple trees. The rest I just spray for a few years. Then they’re on their own.

Ozark Chinquapin:

First winter down! These were planted as seeds this past spring. I’m hoping for some seed production in the next 3-5 years.

45f8d469fc5c75f616cec0647af4eab0.jpg

Got a bunch of Dunstan Chestnuts started. Debating whether i should just re-pot them and grow them out for a year or just go ahead and plant them. Any recommendations or ideas?

Attachments

• 0A0AA4A1-D171-4D7A-8237-1860C740F9A5.jpeg
    0A0AA4A1-D171-4D7A-8237-1860C740F9A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 366
Got a bunch of Dunstan Chestnuts started. Debating whether i should just re-pot them and grow them out for a year or just go ahead and plant them. Any recommendations or ideas?

I prefer direct planting with protection. There’s a lot less hassle as opposed to watering pots all summer long.

Top Bottom