Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Mowed the rye/red clover today. 4 foot tall rye full of deer beds. I had my dad ride ahead of me to bump the fawns out of the way. One month before tilling it all under for brassica.

With the frosts and just cold nov...will the rye still be growing? I swear the plot is filling out each time I look at it

With sharp eye u can see rye mix on left and turnips and radish on right. I planted this one a bit early so they look “kinda similar” from a distance & radish in rye mix got some decent size.
A couple of These are actually giant plots- drought destroyed the beans so I went to plan B at these locations. Usually they are smaller but with drought- needed something there! Most plots are much smaller on normal year and that also makes it nice for any one with most sizes of plots.
The bottom line.... clover in rye mix will be fixing N til I put MOST of it into brassicas later. On the current brassica portion..... I’ll either do beans there or fight the alleopathic affects of brassicas and seed the heck out of clover soon. (Or big plots I’ll do to corn or beans but for sure keep part of field for rotation).
I have good luck frost seeding heavy clover on old brassicas and having plenty of clover. But- there is some risk there.
Gonna be frost seeding time soon on clovers!!! For list of clovers- go over to clover section on dbltree forum.
4c390c362185e181845ad222bd2c82e1.jpg

1740a0e8521d7b96610112e56be24a4c.jpg
f74521c1dc431b03d389b205b66ffa0f.jpg

21d17c40d67fff14311814a822d977d9.jpg

330f50a83b68bccd1c344907dcd5b46e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by NextBuk
  • Reason: was just testing something
Show…
If I did a cereal grain plot last year, will I have to frost seed more clover into it? If so how much do I need per acre?

Clover is one of the seeds I feel like you can't over seed. Did much clover sprout up last year? I'd spread another couple pounds on to be safe assuming what you planted last year sprouted. It's cheap insurance for your future clover plot

• Deleted by LoessHillsArcher
Show…
So with the summer winding down its about time to get the dbltree mix in. My question to you guys is would you plant this coming weekend or wait til the next? One side of me says plant this weekend as my farms are along the MO border and Ive had some troubles getting some rains this year. So im thinking if i get it in then at least the seed will be there waiting if the rain ever does come. The other side of me says wait a week and plant labor day weekend and not risk it getting too tall and unpalatable...so what are your guys' thoughts; this weekend or next? or am i really just splitting hairs here?
thanks!

So with the summer winding down its about time to get the dbltree mix in. My question to you guys is would you plant this coming weekend or wait til the next? One side of me says plant this weekend as my farms are along the MO border and Ive had some troubles getting some rains this year. So im thinking if i get it in then at least the seed will be there waiting if the rain ever does come. The other side of me says wait a week and plant labor day weekend and not risk it getting too tall and unpalatable...so what are your guys' thoughts; this weekend or next? or am i really just splitting hairs here?
thanks!
MO Border, I would wait a week. It is always a question of when cold weather and hard frosts hit. Some years planting now is good and my friend has planted triticale in Oct and it has done well.

thanks!

Plant mine while your down there, LOL. I'm along the IA border in MO. I'm planting my Labor Day weekend, same as always. Last year we didn't get rain until 21 days after planting so too much growth was definately not an issue. Hope this year turns out better.

Question for you guys that have seeded rye into standing row crops, I’m looking to try and get some planted into some beans. When is the best time to try and get them planted? Should I wait until the beans are more mature or try and get some seed down now while we have some moisture? And do you guys try and plant it a little heavier when doing this? Not sure how well it will turn out since I can’t pack it or anything.

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Question for you guys that have seeded rye into standing row crops, I’m looking to try and get some planted into some beans. When is the best time to try and get them planted? Should I wait until the beans are more mature or try and get some seed down now while we have some moisture? And do you guys try and plant it a little heavier when doing this? Not sure how well it will turn out since I can’t pack it or anything.
As soon as they yellow, plant away! Broadcast 100# /acre. I do this in all my bean plots (sometimes radishes) Basically two foodplots in 1. Here is an example.
d7a5fea1977dcb6088fdc26aa455bad1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As soon as they yellow, plant away! Broadcast 100# /acre. I do this in all my bean plots (sometimes radishes) Basically two foodplots in 1. Here is an example.
d7a5fea1977dcb6088fdc26aa455bad1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Those look awesome! That’s what I’m going for. I suppose I’ll wait a few weeks for the beans to start turning yellow and hope for rain!

I been trying to follow the double tree rotation. I planet oats with red clover this Spring in in existing turnip plot from last fall.
I have mowed the plot a couple times recently.
My question is can I just spray for broad leaves and go light so I don't kill the clover and come back in and drill more clover and rye and be OK?? Thoughts
Thanks

Top Bottom