Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pond and Plot Thread

Resident kitty likes my new plot.
4267711bac77a66f4634226001eb6aaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radishes and turnips looked great yesterday. Few weeds here and there but came up great. Pond is up another foot from last week too. Got clover in the plot yesterday (over seeded red and white) and wheat and rye will go in next week. Now for tree stands!

You have been a busy man Cybball, I look forward to your future harvest posts...they will be richly deserved.

You have been a busy man Cybball, I look forward to your future harvest posts...they will be richly deserved.

Thanks. Been a lot of fun. First place I have ever owned. Been wanting my own spot since I started bow hunting in 91. I think some days I’m trying to get all those years of progress done now. LOL. I’m ready to start slowing down and getting into hunting gear.

Thanks. Been a lot of fun. First place I have ever owned. Been wanting my own spot since I started bow hunting in 91. I think some days I’m trying to get all those years of progress done now. LOL. I’m ready to start slowing down and getting into hunting gear.

Trust me...the work list never ends, but you just need to be satisfied with what does get done and enjoy that. Speaking of enjoyment...I did a little fishing this past weekend and caught some bass and bluegill. A couple of the bass were 12+ inches, which I was pretty happy with since they were only stocked about 26 months ago, as 5" - 7"'ers. I look a little goofy in the selfie, as I was focused on getting the fish in the frame. (Well, at least that's my excuse. :))

full

Plot looks awesome! Found turnips that are the size of a quarter.
I also scored some used culvert tubes. Cut them and put in more fish structure. Can’t wait for it to fill up so I can get some fish in there.
b6fc5b90dadcd28ab46a74b3da72e5c5.jpg
bfbc5a9dd97bd39d1833282f20d48cec.jpg
8d0422310694a9f982f00fa19cf449c4.jpg

Pro tip...I know from experience, unfortunately, that 2 cinder blocks will not keep 5 pallets that are bound together submerged. (I am sure that will change though once the wood is water logged. But meanwhile, those "structures" are no longer where I placed them. Harrumph.)

I do not know if 2 blocks will keep one pallet down or not...probably. But give that some thought before it goes under water for good. Also, I would recommend placing your tubes in what will be about 3' to 6' of water when full AND block off one side. Catfish will use them then as spawning cover and if open only on one end, they can successfully fight off hungry bluegills. Many people think that channel catfish cannot, or will not, spawn in a pond. They will...they just need some way to protect all of their fry from roving bluegills.

A one end open tube at the proper depth is just the ticket for that.

Pro tip...I know from experience, unfortunately, that 2 cinder blocks will not keep 5 pallets that are bound together submerged. (I am sure that will change though once the wood is water logged. But meanwhile, those "structures" are no longer where I placed them. Harrumph.)

I do not know if 2 blocks will keep one pallet down or not...probably. But give that some thought before it goes under water for good. Also, I would recommend placing your tubes in what will be about 3' to 6' of water when full AND block off one side. Catfish will use them then as spawning cover and if open only on one end, they can successfully fight off hungry bluegills. Many people think that channel catfish cannot, or will not, spawn in a pond. They will...they just need some way to protect all of their fry from roving bluegills.

A one end open tube at the proper depth is just the ticket for that.

Thanks. Only had those blocks at my place. I’ll be adding more as the culvert ribs have air in them too. I may add block inside one end of the tube to help close it off. I appreciate knowing that. I only kinda knew what I was doing. LOL
Tubes will be about 6 feet deep when the pond is full (one is sitting around the 14 foot mark). Easy to move.

I use those culverts for trapping and have popped holes in the ribs to help keep them down then tie them to a rod. Seems to work. I did do your buckets in my pond. Hadn't seen them before.

I use those culverts for trapping and have popped holes in the ribs to help keep them down then tie them to a rod. Seems to work. I did do your buckets in my pond. Hadn't seen them before.

Good call. Thought I’d drill holes in quite a few ribs. Going to add more weights though too.

Buckets should work. Just adds structure without many snags and should last my lifetime.

If I was going to put in some "real" brush, I see lots of cedars used. Is there wood to avoid? Wasn't wanting all the tannin in the pond to kill fish.

Turnips were golf ball to baseball size. Radishes were the size of big carrots. Had a few bare spots that I spread some winter rye into. Looked good though. Deer and turkeys using it heavily.
cc54c06ce63c59be5caeb1bfffbcaa09.jpg
800f24a51995f281a815803c0fce960b.jpg

It’s amazing how this plot and my new pond are attracting wildlife. Turkeys, deer, bobcats, coons and rabbits. So cool to watch.

Been a while since updating. Spent some time at my place Saturday doing some TSI work. Thought I’d share some pics. Pond is about 2 feet from max full. Most fish structures are under water now. Also got a wood duck box hung up.
8b33e2154b627609f5f9344ff8f5a45c.jpg

Food plot is all clover this year. Looks to be working.

9534bd903b99a785d693d88bb37c017c.jpg

Top Bottom