Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

I completely agree what what you saying. DNR does not make this an issue but even if they did what can done? If this disease is contracted through a bug then how do they stop it. I also agree they could reduce doe tag numbers to help the overall herd get back to "normal" in a faster manner. But ultimately the herd is up to US hunters. Just because they issue the tags doesnt mean we have to use them. So if they wont take the reins, then what can WE do to help inform hunters of the issue? For instance this season and most seasons for that matter I typically take a few does with my bow then wait to fill my bow tag, then wait until late muzzy and then wait to kill my buck then shoot some more does. Last year I killed 8 deer. 2 bucks and 6 does. Fed my family and other families. Also I like to donate a couple to help the cause. So maybe this year I should only shoot say 5 deer? I dont know what the answer is but it seems to me that we need to take the initiative. I realize that most on this site are fairly like minded on this issue, but this is small scale, tiny! So what else can we do to help spread the word? Idk just thinking out loud here..

Just a thought from my experience...MANY hunters do not think about things the way you do here. If there are tags available, they will buy them and use them, giving no thought to whether or not the population is good or bad. People like yourself, and many others here on IW, including myself, that take care to "balance" things out are in the minority...at least in my opinion.

So...we need the DNR to also "get it" when there are big die offs in an area and then reduce the doe tags accordingly. IMO, you will never be able to count on the hunters managing themselves on a wide scale.

I completely agree what what you saying. DNR does not make this an issue but even if they did what can done? If this disease is contracted through a bug then how do they stop it. I also agree they could reduce doe tag numbers to help the overall herd get back to "normal" in a faster manner. But ultimately the herd is up to US hunters. Just because they issue the tags doesnt mean we have to use them. So if they wont take the reins, then what can WE do to help inform hunters of the issue? For instance this season and most seasons for that matter I typically take a few does with my bow then wait to fill my bow tag, then wait until late muzzy and then wait to kill my buck then shoot some more does. Last year I killed 8 deer. 2 bucks and 6 does. Fed my family and other families. Also I like to donate a couple to help the cause. So maybe this year I should only shoot say 5 deer? I dont know what the answer is but it seems to me that we need to take the initiative. I realize that most on this site are fairly like minded on this issue, but this is small scale, tiny! So what else can we do to help spread the word? Idk just thinking out loud here..

I would like to post something on the facebook page "bowhunters of iowa" etc, but fear being ridiculed, often times things on that page go down hill quick. A lot of people do not see the big picture. If there are tags the try to fill them. The trophy bucks of iowa page seems to get respect overall, but it is not an open platform, seem only they can share/post stuff, maybe bdahms could help with that?

I know the southwestern corner of polk county had a bunch die off 2-4 weeks ago. All along the great western bike trail there is a creek and I work right by there. I jog on the trail on lunch break and bike it often. The smell of death was ripe the month of August in about a 3-4 mile stretch. Its not uncommon to see up to 10 deer when I bike or jog along that stretch of trail, but sense I started smelling it I have not seen one deer along it, been a month now or more since I've seen a deer. I reported to the polk county dnr officer. He wanted to know some info, but I didn't go looking for the dead deer or count, just could smell them. I'm sure over the month of August it was probably 20 or so along that stretch of trail just be counting the # of spots that smelled in different spots a long the trail. I saw a dead one along the racoon river in water works park and I saw where other people had posted on bowhunters of iowa that they were finding dead deer along the racoon in west des moines.

I would like to post something on the facebook page "bowhunters of iowa" etc, but fear being ridiculed, often times things on that page go down hill quick. A lot of people do not see the big picture. If there are tags the try to fill them. The trophy bucks of iowa page seems to get respect overall, but it is not an open platform, seem only they can share/post stuff, maybe bdahms could help with that?
Yea there are some real jerks on that page but even it your post reaches 2 people isnt that a win? Post it up, Im also on that page and will chime to back you

Just a thought from my experience...MANY hunters do not think about things the way you do here. If there are tags available, they will buy them and use them, giving no thought to whether or not the population is good or bad. People like yourself, and many others here on IW, including myself, that take care to "balance" things out are in the minority...at least in my opinion.

So...we need the DNR to also "get it" when there are big die offs in an area and then reduce the doe tags accordingly. IMO, you will never be able to count on the hunters managing themselves on a wide scale.
I agree with you here..i do have an idea on what to tho...

We pool up some cash and someone from here goes and buys up all the tags? I realize this is not an option but in reality this would easily help the herd and work

Great thoughts above.
One viable idea that could be implemented, here’s an example (Iowa being a leader for the Midwest or the country on this)..... add 50 auctioned governor tags where all the revenue goes into a “study & research fund for EHD/BT & CWD”. Maybe a few years it’s only EHD/BT research and studies since some funds are allocated to cwd though. The result would be ABOUT $500,000 in annual revenue that could result in far more answers/understanding, solutions & impact to the entire state with almost no negative impact. (No, 50 tags across the state auctioned where proceeds go to a good cause is not a negative). 5 years would be $2.5m dollars & that would produce a sizeable amount of studies, research, employment & if executed with proper oversight & expertise. Something like this could be the best case for us to learn more about what many are understating to be a growing epidemic on a larger scale over time.

Here we are - all talking about a voluntary reduction in our harvest of deer due to EHD kills in 2019 and I happen to hear Bob Quinn on WHO's "Big Show" in the last few minutes of the noon hour broadcast TODAY. He stated that a 2019 goal of FBureau is a change to their initiative language from "control deer population" to "reduce deer population". Mr Quinn was spouting off about his great idea to use a "birth control" method for deer population control since in his all-knowing mind hunting was not getting it done and your not an Iowan unless you have hit a deer with your car. Don't ya luv an uninformed guy with a mic in his mouth that is connected to the "50,000 watt blow-touch" called WHO Radio.

What a butt-head (that's a milder version of what I wanted to type).

Here we are - all talking about a voluntary reduction in our harvest of deer due to EHD kills in 2019 and I happen to hear Bob Quinn on WHO's "Big Show" in the last few minutes of the noon hour broadcast TODAY. He stated that a 2019 goal of FBureau is a change to their initiative language from "control deer population" to "reduce deer population". Mr Quinn was spouting off about his great idea to use a "birth control" method for deer population control since in his all-knowing mind hunting was not getting it done and your not an Iowan unless you have hit a deer with your car. Don't ya luv an uninformed guy with a mic in his mouth that is connected to the "50,000 watt blow-touch" called WHO Radio.

I’ve heard Quinn many times slamming the deer...... he is a tool....

I agree with you here..i do have an idea on what to tho...

We pool up some cash and someone from here goes and buys up all the tags? I realize this is not an option but in reality this would easily help the herd and work
I thought this same thing.
I even thought about doing a raffle prize. And the only way to enter was with a unused doe tag prior to season start.

Ridiculous if ya ask me. Heard there was another huge number of confirmed cases added to DNRs total today. If true it is a number that is equivalent to some of the highest county quotas. They should if nothing else subtract the number of confirmed cases from the quotas. If they are truly trying to manage the overall herd those dead deer need to be accounted for

Guys its just sickening. Its bad out there. Some areas are getting smoked. I've not been this up close and personal to ehd as this year. Very maddening and saddening.

Neighbor just sent this. Had to be shot few hours ago. Dnr called on this. Ehd & bad shape so best thing to do was to pop it. Sucks.
ed835d64c86f39433b601be864a70f68.jpg

**Seems to get bucks worse than does in my experience. In velvet the soft thin tissue is an easy bite for a midge (vs biting through fur). The worst time perhaps is ABOVE.... bloody antlers. This is when I’ve found piles of dead bucks. I would guess in theory all that blood would attract midges. Maybe I’m wrong but sure seems to be the case every year. Once all are hard horned - we are closer to losing fewer deer IMO. Bring on the frost!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wetlnt to pond today. This on was not here yesterday. Very saddening and maddening.
78b82dca02a47cdee16fd8137fb74ece.jpg
a2a6ac484c48d7f7ca2b33ce23ad8c77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With how much more common EHD seems to be this past decade anyone thing that maybe this is something that has been released or purposely imposed by man? Quite the conspiracy theory, but honestly it would not surprise me.

To put some perspective on the impact of EHD - below are total 2017 harvest numbers for the top 10 EHD impacted counties to date ( I couldn't locate 2018):

2017 harvest / 2019 EHD
Warren - 2,767 - 460
Clarke - 1,921 - 90
Madison - 2,849 - 61
Polk - 1,085 - 43
Lucas - 2,106 - 35
Marion - 2,148 - 32
Monroe - 2,036 - 23
Decatur - 1,766 - 22
Dallas - 1,389 - 11
Appanoose - 2,009 - 11

Warren's reported EHD kills are fast approaching 20% of normal annual harvest numbers.

Top Bottom