Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

Found 3 more bucks/2does 1 fawn today. All today were in dried up marshy areas.
I’m over 50 now.

To earlier from 6x6.... deer & cattle are sick & virus carriers for about 2 months from what I’ve read. Just like when u have the flu- u might be able to transmit it for a few weeks but u do get over it and u are virus free later. BT/EHD fit into that category- it’s a temporary carrying & ability to transmit viral infection. Antibodies to that strain can develop.

K- I feel like FLOUNDER here but this is good stuff.
Way deep into this subject if u wanna read. The 2 serotypes of EHD & how they impact Northern deer vs southern deer. Long story short - it kinda backs up a previous post where southern deer have built up resistance. Northern deer have not & get devastated by both the 2 main EHD serotypes/strains. This was TX deer vs PA deer. TX has very mild outbreaks and far fewer deaths from both strains. In this study- PA deer were ravaged by both types. It doesn’t account for the 5 serotypes/strains of BT but another tidbit of understanding on ehd front. https://bioone.org/journals/journal...TE-TAILED-DEER/10.7589/0090-3558-38.4.713.pdf

Immunizations to specific serotypes do exist according to this:
https://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/...ease_cards/EPIZOOTIC_HEAMORRHAGIC_DISEASE.pdf

Really good on ehd & BT, resistance, etc. http://www.izs.it/vet_italiana/2004/40_3/40.pdf

^^^^U over 50..... one person. 1000 acres. Using common sense - maybe u found half that died there if u didn’t cover all areas & didn’t cross into Neighboring ground where it’s likely pretty similar. & doesn’t include what happens until frost takes out midges either. U found maybe 5%-ish of Warrens total!!!! That tells me, with one drop of common sense & my IQ of a squirrel..... warren has lost deer in the thousands. There’s zero doubt in my mind. No way, no how, could someone convince me they lost any less than 3,000-4,000 deer. I also have some buddies in warren in the 50-100 range for one single guy finding deer after deer. We will never know (& yes, this will recover eventually) but if I was a gambling man- I’d bet it’s 4,000-5,000+ dead. Deaths in 10’s of thousands statewide. & we have at least a month to go!!!! Maybe I’m wrong but I’d lay $ on it my common sense & network of facts of what folks are seeing on ground - #’s u see are tip of iceberg. It’ll recover but dang does it suck & wishwe could spend the next few years having some real research & discussion before we have to see another round of this madness.

SINCERELY, SLIGHFLOUNDER

I know the farmers dont want to hear this but we need a hard freeze early after some warm weather to get a good kill and knock the midges back !! A slow cool down just wont do us any good !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Again I think an early freeze is a dream with this current amazing hot weather pattern. In fact I remember a bow hunt I had back in the 1990s. It was in North Dakota and high temps were in the mid 90s on October 17th !

About 7-8 years ago during the MN gun season we had 82 degrees and severe lightning, I watched a hunting party scamper across an open field with their guns as bolts of lightning were within 100 yards of them. Scary and very surreal for a gun opener. I've seen 6-10 inches of snow at the same time, so who knows? Maybe a cool front will hit?

^^^^U over 50..... one person. 1000 acres. Using common sense - maybe u found half that died there if u didn’t cover all areas & didn’t cross into Neighboring ground where it’s likely pretty similar. & doesn’t include what happens until frost takes out midges either. U found maybe 5%-ish of Warrens total!!!! That tells me, with one drop of common sense & my IQ of a squirrel..... warren has lost deer in the thousands. There’s zero doubt in my mind. No way, no how, could someone convince me they lost any less than 3,000-4,000 deer. I also have some buddies in warren in the 50-100 range for one single guy finding deer after deer. We will never know (& yes, this will recover eventually) but if I was a gambling man- I’d bet it’s 4,000-5,000+ dead. Deaths in 10’s of thousands statewide. & we have at least a month to go!!!! Maybe I’m wrong but I’d lay $ on it my common sense & network of facts of what folks are seeing on ground - #’s u see are tip of iceberg. It’ll recover but dang does it suck & wishwe could spend the next few years having some real research & discussion before we have to see another round of this madness.

SINCERELY, SLIGHFLOUNDER

Sligh I actually saw 2 deer last night in Warren county. These are the first 2 deer I"ve seen in about 3 weeks. I drive back and forth about every weekend from Lucas County to Norwalk. I would say you are probably spot on with your numbers. Earlier in July I would see around 200+ in about an hours drive.

Very scary, a lot of reports now coming out of southwest Wisconsin, Crawford county area. Pray for an early freeze before it spreads to much.

SLIGHFLOUNDER here again folks. Here’s some light night time reading for u folks! Any trouble sleeping - zip through these abstracts.
I took the abstracts only to get basic info that’s easy to understand. Highlighted a few key parts.

1) for folks that ask “is ehd & BT new to Iowa”. The answer in short is “yes”. New strains especially. The diseases & strains started showing up down south in 50’s. New strains have made their way here & peak detestation (so far) has happened in 2012. 2 strains of ehd (5 of BT) were in Iowa fairly recently and we now can add a 3rd strain to it- EHDV-6.

2) it’s migrated all over the world. Northward. First cases of EHD & BT ever seen were found in Canada & Northern Europe. Reasons listed: climate change, favorable wind/weather, cattle transportation, etc.

3) immunity & antibodies are there & evidence in Texas where disease has been around for decades. Die off is not what it is here. Antibodies & immunity & other factors.

4) keep in mind folks- HD viruses like this being 1st documented in 50’s in cattle, deer, etc - that is a NEW DISEASE. This is not like “cancer” or other diseases we can say “oh, deer have died here from this for 5,000 years”. NEW & devastating. Both ehd & BT can impact cattle & deer. With spread to deer- this will correlate to huge losses to cattle industry through deaths & certain countries & regions that will not accept importation from HD areas. Many areas in Europe are very aggressive on limiting importation or transport of cattle. CATTLE FARMERS SHOULD CARE & they WILL CARE if spread and impact continues on current trajectory.

Let’s hope that immunity & antibodies are built over time. One may theorize that the 90’s in Iowa were the “start of the bell curve of devastation”. The bell curve hopefully & possibly peaked in 2012. Let’s hope. Based on TX data- it would appear that resistance can be built in decades & this MIGHT be something that dwindles over time. New serotypes or strains introduced (when immunity or antibodies to other strains) could be the toughest angle to all of this.

Here’s some light reading for u guys!! GOOD NIGHT!!! SLIGHFLOUNDER
3b5eb51a8de143b97869d0cca4cf8ed0.jpg
6235bb6d8dcac9c58dda685c87fbe65e.jpg
4b6f64b771e4a3ae5d69383fc54950b4.jpg

258d80677bfb44e2b7360a91d0e80564.jpg
da8ee164d872147d847e5b030b101620.jpg
bb7630703823fdcae77cc1d9a2d60598.jpg
b0e990fbb7c09714ffa7d0cef134b1d8.jpg

50258fd7743cee48e07a0d9041ffdcdb.jpg

e46598f9be9d8b3efbcb731e028cf5b9.jpg

0af6e9fef42e7035b01c379bc93c4c39.jpg

fc9468fdcbb5a80d0af8e426443119ff.jpg

49a3adc31a58968bda667f27ff3bafe7.jpg

cef869b8bc46c3f6e981df19a42944bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I may have overlooked posts on this, but are many deer being found in the Jefferson, Van Buren, and Henry County areas? Thanks!

A link to the IDNR site for current HD maps. I'm not sure how often they are up dated. https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Deer-Hunting/Deer-Disease-Information

Pics from Little River Lake in Decatur County:

EHD doe 1.jpg

EHD doe 2.jpg

EHD doe 3.jpg

This is a doe that was in the water near the dam. She was reportedly oblivious to her surroundings and looked pretty weak. The person that took the pics came back about an hour latter and the doe was floating. The deer was reported to the DNR.

Picture #1 shows the swollen neck the best.

Pretty informative. It’s more from a “deer breeder perspective” but... the fundamentals on ehd are pretty good. Few minutes into it & some of the veterinarian information- really good.

It's finding its way up here. Several sick and 3 dead deer just a couple miles from me (Sioux county) confirmed EHD. These deer were just across the river in South Dakota. Definitely not dry around here, we still have roads under water.

It's finding its way up here. Several sick and 3 dead deer just a couple miles from me (Sioux county) confirmed EHD. These deer were just across the river in South Dakota. Definitely not dry around here, we still have roads under water.

Are you finding any on your Monona Cty farm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom