Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

Latest update:

At the end of the day on 20 September there have been 1,332 reported suspect HD mortalities in 43 counties (please see map below, also attached). There were 151 suspect HD mortalities reported during this update period, the fewest since 14 August. Although sick and freshly dead deer were observed throughout the week, the number of reported suspect mortalities declined substantially. Perhaps this was just due to the above normal temperatures and fewer people were out in the field; next week's reports should help answer that question. No reports were received from Clarke County during this update period which also influenced the update totals, this will likely change next week.

Once again, Warren County reported the most suspect mortalities (40) followed by Monroe (34), and Madison (17). All the remaining counties with HD activity reported <7 suspect mortalities. The top three counties accounted for about 60% of the reported suspect HD mortalities for the update period.

The suspect HD mortalities reported for Warren County was the lowest since late July. The north half of Warren County accounted for 40% of the reports during this update period and now represent 18% of the county total.

The areas of outbreak activity within the counties remained similar the previous update.

EHD 9-21-19.png

Will temps in the 40s slow the midges down as it relates to their activity and therefore likelihood to bite and infect deer or is it only once the temps drop below freezing to where they die that it stops them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in Van Buren county hanging stands this past weekend and found three deer floating in ponds. One doe, a 1.5 year old buck, and a 2.5 year old buck.

Uggghhhh. Bring a frost!!!
Agree - velvet off is a huge blessing..... no easy velvet to bite through and no bloody magnet mess when shedding. That will help for sure.
Ironically- in my actual border- I’ve found none dead. Folks in area found a good amount. I did load some spots up with garlic & sulfur in some mineral - coincidence?!?! I better not repeat That too often as I’ll get blamed for spreading the CWD thats been wiping out deer by the millions in the Midwest ;). *yes, I know- some disagree with minerals - I get it- understand ur point of view. I just personally think the data isn’t there on that. & likely could find out that until every deer scrape branch, deer swapping spit, congregating & interacting naturally like crazy- mineral will have little or zero impact as natural behaviors of deer are likely far more intense. & even transmition by those natural or congregated means are NOT proven as a sure fire way deer get cwd (can site data & science on this). Off topic BUT- back to main issue1 on my personal farm, in borders, as far as I know, little to no ehd & 2 miles in any direction is different story.

Uggghhhh. Bring a frost!!!
Agree - velvet off is a huge blessing..... no easy velvet to bite through and no bloody magnet mess when shedding. That will help for sure.
Ironically- in my actual border- I’ve found none dead. Folks in area found a good amount. I did load some spots up with garlic & sulfur in some mineral - coincidence?!?! I better not repeat That too often as I’ll get blamed for spreading the CWD thats been wiping out deer by the millions in the Midwest ;). *yes, I know- some disagree with minerals - I get it- understand ur point of view. I just personally think the data isn’t there on that. & likely could find out that until every deer scrape branch, deer swapping spit, congregating & interacting naturally like crazy- mineral will have little or zero impact as natural behaviors of deer are likely far more intense. Off topic BUT- back to main issue1 on my personal farm, in borders, as far as I know, little to no ehd & 2 miles in any direction is different story.

What is the goal with the garlic and sulfur ?

4-5 fold...... they eat heck out of it.... in theory & cattle & horse & sheep folks do it as well.... creates odor that flies don’t wanna bite.
My ticks fell off deer very fast.
Boosts immunity
Improves (with other minerals as well) vascularity & blood flow. Vasodilating actions as well. This helps cool deer, reduce impact of hemorrhaging & increases chance deer recovers.
Garlic is a natural: anti-inflammatory, helps in digestion & high in antioxidants. Heck, I’ve taken it myself for those reasons.
I just googled “garlic, horse, feed” & this came up. Clearly biased and they want to sell it to u but I just skimmed through this and they have their rationale.

Not saying it’s a 100% sure thing & ive read a PILE of data on it. But- long story short- im convinced based on 3 years now that it’s very impactful to deer that eat it. I will say this.... bucks that POUND IT, on trail cam..... I’ve NEVER lost one of those bucks in 3 years now.

4-5 fold...... they eat heck out of it.... in theory & cattle & horse & sheep folks do it as well.... creates odor that flies don’t wanna bite.
My ticks fell off deer very fast.
Boosts immunity
Improves (with other minerals as well) vascularity & blood flow. Vasodilating actions as well. This helps cool deer, reduce impact of hemorrhaging & increases chance deer recovers.
Garlic is a natural: anti-inflammatory, helps in digestion & high in antioxidants. Heck, I’ve taken it myself for those reasons.
I just googled “garlic, horse, feed” & this came up. Clearly biased and they want to sell it to u but I just skimmed through this and they have their rationale.

Not saying it’s a 100% sure thing & ive read a PILE of data on it. But- long story short- im convinced based on 3 years now that it’s very impactful to deer that eat it. I will say this.... bucks that POUND IT, on trail cam..... I’ve NEVER lost one of those bucks in 3 years now.

Got a link for the product you put down? I want to try it. Found a couple EHD already and don’t want more

Last edited:
Oops. Sorry.
https://www.sweetwaternutrition.com/garlic-for-horses/
https://vitaferm.com/natural-insect-control-options-for-cattle-producers/

U can google all sorts of stuff. The most robust info is if u search for “garlic, sheep, feed, flies” or an animal that’s common & has economic value. That’s how this info always starts..... “well, works on cattle, let’s try it on deer”. Sometimes it does relate, sometimes not. Garlic & sulfur to deer do work for biting insects and a huge list of other health benefits.

Previous thread:
https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/thr...ion-quest-for-info-to-combat-ehd-ticks.55931/

1st 2 links sell u something. I get it. But- I believe there’s validity based on my experience. Strongly believe. I can add studies & data (mixed results) but I won’t bore u all with that.
I buy granulated 50 lbs garlic from a restaurant supplier online. I think this one....
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regal-bulk-garlic-powder-25-lb/102707700.html
100 lbs mineral, 5 lbs granulated garlic, 1 lbs feed grade sulfur & top dress 5 lbs molasses. Works awesome for ticks, flies, etc - In my experience and opinion. Not extremely expensive, not risky IMO, lot of upside with little downside. I understand all the dynamics at play here..... building resistance, letting nature take course, not treating deer like cattle, folks against feeding, whatever - I’ve weighed it all out & for ME- I’m comfy & convinced. That’s ME though. Just throwing out a perspective & some info & u all are smart folks to decide what or what not to do. Hope above info at least helps a little.

Oops. Sorry.

Previous thread:
https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/thr...ion-quest-for-info-to-combat-ehd-ticks.55931/

1st 2 links sell u something. I get it. But- I believe there’s validity based on my experience. Strongly believe. I can add studies & data (mixed results) but I won’t bore u all with that.
I buy granulated 50 lbs garlic from a restaurant supplier online. 100 lbs mineral, 5 lbs granulated garlic, 1 lbs feed grade sulfur & top dress 5 lbs molasses. Works awesome for ticks, flies, etc - In my experience and opinion.

Thank you!

Well if I could get the deer to eat that invasive garlic mustard crap then I'll be golden? Thanks for the info flounder!

Oops. Sorry.

U can google all sorts of stuff. The most robust info is if u search for “garlic, sheep, feed, flies” or an animal that’s common & has economic value. That’s how this info always starts..... “well, works on cattle, let’s try it on deer”. Sometimes it does relate, sometimes not. Garlic & sulfur to deer do work for biting insects and a huge list of other health benefits.

Previous thread:

I buy granulated 50 lbs garlic from a restaurant supplier online. I think this one....
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regal-bulk-garlic-powder-25-lb/102707700.html
100 lbs mineral, 5 lbs granulated garlic, 1 lbs feed grade sulfur & top dress 5 lbs molasses. Works awesome for ticks, flies, etc - In my experience and opinion. Not extremely expensive, not risky IMO, lot of upside with little downside. I understand all the dynamics at play here..... building resistance, letting nature take course, not treating deer like cattle, folks against feeding, whatever - I’ve weighed it all out & for ME- I’m comfy & convinced. That’s ME though. Just throwing out a perspective & some info & u all are smart folks to decide what or what not to do. Hope above info at least helps a little.

Another quick question. Is there any initial bad reaction to garlic on the part of the deer? I ask because we are into hunting season already and if I put this out I don’t want to bump them away if there is an adjustment or a learning curve it takes them to get used to it

Another quick question. Is there any initial bad reaction to garlic on the part of the deer? I ask because we are into hunting season already and if I put this out I don’t want to bump them away if there is an adjustment or a learning curve it takes them to get used to it

I don't know about the garlic, but I too am curious about it. But be careful putting something out now that would get you over into a possible baiting situation, as the hunting season is underway.

I don't know about the garlic, but I too am curious about it. But be careful putting something out now that would get you over into a possible baiting situation, as the hunting season is underway.
I agree with saver here. For sure the molasses would get you in trouble during season if hunting right away.

I don’t do it now. I do it when midges get going in July-ish. Through August & I have locations into September that are just “no where near” where I hunt. Not even close. I still cover stuff or dig it up on the baiting issue (even though yes, we all know folks are not putting mineral out to shoot a buck on - let’s be real). If do it- next summer.

Top Bottom