Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Inactivation of chronic wasting disease prions using sodium hypochlorite

Interesting. Technically bleach and sodium hypochlorite are not the same thing, but I get the point. I still don't see how this helps stop the spread of CWD much though, not like you can dose a herd or ground surface. I guess you can inactivate prions from a surface after cutting into affected material, but even then, it may not inactivate prions if the matter is dense enough. Still good to know people are looking into solutions..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When they say they couldn’t inactivate CWD from “solid tissues” what do they mean by solid tissues specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain. I use bleach/ sodium hypochlorite in the lab and don’t differentiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bleach is the household disenfectent version so it's like 8 or 9% sodium hypochlorite or something like that. The stuff we use in water treatment is around 13%, so different SDS's for the two. Not all Clorox bleach is NSF approved either. Splitting hairs, so very similar, but different solutions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We are kind of off topic, but just so we are all on the same page, when you say they are different solutions they are different strength solutions of the same thing (sodium hypochlorite). There are varying concentrations of household bleaches and industrial bleaches, but all are sodium hypochlorite dissolved in water. Bleach is just a common name. Like calling hydrochloric acid muritic acid.

i think some hunters that don't read this carefully are going to thing this is a cure all for cwd tse contamination. IT'S NOT!

first off, it would take a strong bleach type sodium hypochlorite, that is NOT your moms bleach she uses in her clothes, and store bought stuff.

Concentrated bleach is an 8.25 percent solution of sodium hypochlorite, up from the “regular bleachconcentration of 5.25 percent.Nov 1, 2013 https://waterandhealth.org/disinfect/high-strength-bleach-2/

second off, the study states plainly;

''We found that a five-minute treatment with a 40% dilution of household bleach was effective at inactivating CWD seeding activity from stainless-steel wires and CWD-infected brain homogenates. However, bleach was not able to inactivate CWD seeding activity from solid tissues in our studies.''

''We initially tested brains from two CWD-infected mice and one uninfected mouse using 40% bleach for 5 minutes. The results from these experiments showed almost no elimination of prion seeding activity (Table 4). We then increased the treatment time to 30 minutes and tested 40% and 100% bleach treatments. Again, the results were disappointing and showed less than a 10-fold decrease in CWD-seeding activity (Table 4). Clearly, bleach is not able to inactivate prions effectively from small brain pieces under the conditions tested here.''

''We found that both the concentration of bleach and the time of treatment are critical for inactivation of CWD prions. A 40% bleach treatment for 5 minutes successfully eliminated detectable prion seeding activity from both CWD-positive brain homogenate and stainless-steel wires bound with CWD. However, even small solid pieces of CWD-infected brain were not successfully decontaminated with the use of bleach.''

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0223659

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2019/10/inactivation-of-chronic-wasting-disease.html

i think with all the fear from recent studies, and there are many, of potential, or likelihood of zoonosis, if it has not already happened as scjd, i think this study came out to help out on some of that fear, that maybe something will help, but the study plainly states it's for sure not a cure all for exposure and contamination of the cwd tse prion on surface materials. imo...terry

Top Bottom