Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disabled pheasant hunting question in Iowa

NDAR15MAN

I know this is white tail forum but hope some one can tell me what the laws are on this disabled hunting question. I could not find the answer to this question in the 2019 hunting rule book at farm fleet store.
In Iowa I was told that if you are severely disabled ( bad lungs or crippled etc ) you can road hunt pheasants. I am new to Iowa.
A Freind at work told me that is severely disabled that road hunts this way in Iowa and tells me it is legal for him To hunt this way because of his permit. Man drives down gravel road see pheasant , stops and shoots pheasant through truck window. Has grand kids retrieve pheasant. I cannot believe this is legal ? In Iowa even if severely disabled with a permit ? . Who knows what the Iowa law is on this issue ? Is this really legal ? Don’t matter to me but man ask me to go with him as a retriever of pheasants if grand kid cannot go as retrevier. I am scared to death to go with the guy. Thanks. MD

What is the permit? A weapons carry or disabled? I’ve heard there is a loophole for such events with the carry permit. I’d pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think it can be true in Iowa. In South Dakota yes North Dakota maybe. I think the guy is all wet. I don’t think I will go with him even thou I will be the reteriver of the pheasants. I don’t want to be on the 6:00 pm news. MD

Clear laws against shooting from or across the road. Have never heard of an exemption for disabled. Call a DNR officer before you participate, but I am quite certain you will be told it is illegal.

Clear laws against shooting from or across the road. Have never heard of an exemption for disabled. Call a DNR officer before you participate, but I am quite certain you will be told it is illegal.
These laws, while clear, are for guns shooting a single projectile, not scatter guns.

These laws, while clear, are for guns shooting a single projectile, not scatter guns.
I would also check with the CO but I also think a scatter gun is legal in Iowa on roadways. Not likely from the vehicle but that MAY be where the disabled portion comes in.

Might depend on where in Iowa too. My sons hunter safety class talked about ditch hunting only being allowed in Southern Iowa counties now. South of highway 30 maybe??

Top Bottom