Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hiding in plain sight - mature bucks

RinggoCy

Looking for some experiences from others in regards to mature bucks living in places right under our noses and how to go about killing bucks like that.

A few years ago, a friend of mine shot a 180 class buck during shotgun season on an 80 acre crp field. The only trees on the place were the cluster of trees and brush around an old pond in the middle of the field. That buck could've hung out in much larger tracts with better cover within a mile, any direction, of that spot. So why there? Because it's overlooked and nobody messed with him there, that's why.

I think this happens a lot, at least in my area where huge hardwood timbers aren't super common but yet there are a number of pieces that have much more traditional deer habitat close by, they just don't spend the majority of their time there because of pressure in various forms.

Anyway, I've always thought about this topic since this friend killed that buck. Now I think I might have a similar scenario happening this year.. only difference is I know he's in there (at least I think I do after trying to piece together a timeline from trail camera pictures. I just don't know where else he could be hanging out.

I was just curious if anyone has ever hunted a buck that lives in a place he could see you coming from 200 yards if you tried to sneak in on him, the cover is so small (say an acre or less) that it would be hard to hang a stand in his little safe haven without him nailing you, and has little reason to get up and moving until dark.

As of right now, I'm just planning on keeping a safe distance and hoping he needs a date here in the coming weeks and comes looking for one near the more traditional deer habitat not fsr away. Maybe a little calling soon too.

Anybody ever hunted a "right under your nose/hiding in plain sight" buck? How'd you do it? Did it work?

Good luck to everyone in the next couple weeks, it's about to get good.

Ground hunt through it on a 10 to 15 mph crosswind day. Take a few steps, stop and look thoroughly for a couple minutes before repeating. Obviously you don't want to approach it from up wind. You don't want to approach it from downwind either because bedded deer tend to turn their faces downwind and he'll see you before you see him.

I've also hung stands in way less than 1 acre patches. It's the getting in and out that can be tricky.

Ground hunt through it on a 10 to 15 mph crosswind day. Take a few steps, stop and look thoroughly for a couple minutes before repeating. Obviously you don't want to approach it from up wind. You don't want to approach it from downwind either because bedded deer tend to turn their faces downwind and he'll see you before you see him.

I've also hung stands in way less than 1 acre patches. It's the getting in and out that can be tricky.
Gotta go in and hang during the dark, also plan all day sits going in and out in the dark! GL

Top Bottom