Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot analysis needed

cybball

So this morning I hit a buck at 15 yards. Made the mistake of holding my 20 pin on center of the lung area, rather than low on him. I hit him high. I was about 18 feet up so there was a down angle. As he took off, the arrow was sticking out and it then broke off about 20 yards from the hit. I think I may have gone through or just above the scapula (guessing that’s what broke the arrow when he ran. The arrow showed about 7 1/2 inches of penetration.
f53aa935682c9ea114340245178368d7.jpg

Blood looked like muscle blood. Went several hundred yards and was not super easy to find.
I lost blood and walked several trails in the direction he was headed. Then grid searched with nothing.
Think he died? Neighbors north and south of me didn’t see him while they were hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive done this exact thing and found the deer after very little blood and 350 yards, but i backed out and came back the next day. Blood will be little if any because of high entry and no exit. I doubt you find him because you probably pushed him.

I would say highly unlikely he died from what you described. Buddy of mine had a similar hit with alot more penetration and he la9d down right away then got up and disappeared

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is pretty much what I saw the whole way until it disappeared. Occasional larger puddle but not much.
f9efb6771c7509edf599d923191f6912.jpg

Given your "grid" answer, I suspect that buck will live through that. The area you indicated is above the spine, not in a vital zone. If you get him next week, his back straps should already be partially butter flyed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lungs actually go up that high. Likley single lung. By far the worst/hardest to deal with.
Agree with this, deer will die and not bleed outside the body cavity much at all. Blood for what your hit was is spot on from my experience.
1946b9e89fae6d0747b6265c8a6a0a3d.jpg

this is the Penetration from my 2017 buck, sounds similar to yours.

Agree with this, deer will die and not bleed outside the body cavity much at all. Blood for what your hit was is spot on from my experience.
1946b9e89fae6d0747b6265c8a6a0a3d.jpg

this is the Penetration from my 2017 buck, sounds similar to yours.

That’s exactly what’s still in him.

Been there. Found him during shed season 600 yards away...in hindsight, I don't think waiting 24 hours would have been out of hand, but bare minimum 12. Very tough shot to recover, but even if you bumped him, there's a good chance he could circle back and die somewhere you feel you already searched well. They often seem to "go home" when death comes slowly...if you feel you're in his core, don't be afraid to double check stuff. Stick it out, we're all pulling for you!

Been there. Found him during shed season 600 yards away...in hindsight, I don't think waiting 24 hours would have been out of hand, but bare minimum 12. Very tough shot to recover, but even if you bumped him, there's a good chance he could circle back and die somewhere you feel you already searched well. They often seem to "go home" when death comes slowly...if you feel you're in his core, don't be afraid to double check stuff. Stick it out, we're all pulling for you!

Thanks. Unfortunately I’ve never seen him. Ran cams all year. Just hoping he lives. Really hate making mistakes from the stand.

....one moral to this story... with this type of shot. BACK OUT. Gotta wait a day.

My personal experience with same shot.... in waiting till next day. When I found beds it was very clear he got jumped by coyotes (easy to tell in snow). Don't be the coyote.

I agree, I doubt he's dead. There is a lot of bone up there you have to penetrate before you get to the good stuff.
At 15 yards, from an elevated position, impact C/D-1, 7" on penetration is correct, your into a single lung. Top of lung tucks in behind scapula.

My 2c

Last edited:
To me a C/D 1 hit on that pic is just not hitting lung even at the mentioned height,angle, and distance. The blood pictured is muscle blood IMO. My 1 lung hit deer bled A LOT. In fact they sprayed blood but just didnt die. Kind of a moot discussion at this point. Made a reference pic collage, still saying all straps unfortunately. 20191111_144140.jpg

To me a C/D 1 hit on that pic is just not hitting lung even at the mentioned height,angle, and distance. The blood pictured is muscle blood IMO. My 1 lung hit deer bled A LOT. In fact they sprayed blood but just didnt die. Kind of a moot discussion at this point. Made a reference pic collage, still saying all straps unfortunately. View attachment 118817

The pic of the real deer bottom right confirms to me my arrow went into muscle. Guessing it lodged into the vertebrae but not deep enough to sever the cord. Totally sucks.
I’m actually going to switch back to fixed blade heads so I can get better penetration. Been thinking of doing it for a couple years.
This was my fault though. Holding my 20 pin on center mass caused me a high hit. My broadheads would have worked fine had I hit him correctly.

Top Bottom