Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Selling Options

aimfirst

HI All - unfortunately I may be in the market next year to sell my place in Van Buren Co.....100 acres of probably 40% timber, 40% native grasses and then a small hay field as well as a pond. Just curious if you all have experiences selling property and what the best balance of cost/time is with regards to doing it yourself or hiring a full fledged real estate agent or one of the outfits specializing in hunting/farm land? I am not local to my land and am just curious to start asking around in preparation the selling and process of selling. The small agent I bought this from is no longer in business. I just have no idea what these outfits specializing in rural/hunting land charge so thought I'd ask in case any of you have experience as I "slow roll" into this next year. Figured some of you have been through this and may know options that worked for you better than others.

Thank you all.

I sold several of my farms in VB county. Commissions were 4-6%. If a jumbo size farm- 3% on occasion. I’ve also sold them on my own and I do that now if I have time. If sell on ur own.... landsofiowa.com maybe couple hundred bucks for few months. Craigslist and can list here. We’ve done like $150-200 to list a farm on here in past (it was actually me paying the previous owner here) & I sold 2 farms right from good ol Iowawhitetail! Selling on ur own is doable IF u go through some steps to weed out time wasting tire kickers (I’ve got several ideas there that work) & are able to show it. Very doable if ur somewhat comfy with land knowledge & sales process. Lawyers handle all the details so it’s not actually that hard. Hard part is finding buyers who are serious!!! Rest of em like looking at land, talking about buying & Touring farms & way way too many folks have your time and their own to waste!

If u want - fire me PM for my email. If u wanna fire me aerial, income & details- I don’t mind telling u what I think it’s worth/sell for. I know a lot of the realtors in se iowa too. Most are pretty good.

I'd take Sligh up on his offer and go from there. Nothing beats advice from someone with a lot of experience and nothing to gain personally.

If you're not in a hurry, my advice is to give yourself a chance to sell it yourself. Like sligh said, weeding people out it's the hard part.
I'd recommend listing it with one of the bigger land brokers if you list. People follow them more, they advertise on all the big sites, and you'll get more exposure. They also can be better salesman due to the volumes of land they sell.
Talking to sligh, since offered, is one of the smarter things to do since he's done both.

thank you all. Sligh, I may take you up on that. I am not in a major hurry and my biggest hesitation of doing it myself was weeding out serious people and going down there to meet people (or letting people check it out and then I have instant hunting competition). I have heard a lot of good things about Rich at whitetail properties.

thanks again everyone.

HI All - unfortunately I may be in the market next year to sell my place in Van Buren Co.....100 acres of probably 40% timber, 40% native grasses and then a small hay field as well as a pond. Just curious if you all have experiences selling property and what the best balance of cost/time is with regards to doing it yourself or hiring a full fledged real estate agent or one of the outfits specializing in hunting/farm land? I am not local to my land and am just curious to start asking around in preparation the selling and process of selling. The small agent I bought this from is no longer in business. I just have no idea what these outfits specializing in rural/hunting land charge so thought I'd ask in case any of you have experience as I "slow roll" into this next year. Figured some of you have been through this and may know options that worked for you better than others.

Thank you all.

The best bet right off would be to talk to the neighbors because if you list it that is probably what the realtor would do.The land I own that was my initial contact that it was for sale because i owned the peice next to it

Top Bottom