Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Some Late Rutting Action

Trapshooter1

Went for a little cruise this evening, seen 2 bucks out dogging a doe in heat and chasing her in circles. Looked like a 4 year old and a 3 year old. Even some intense fighting over her. Reminds a guy of Sweet Sweet November. Getting pretty late in the year for this kind of action. About the latest I've ever seen. Anyone else seeing this kind of action, this late in the year?

Went for a little cruise this evening, seen 2 bucks out dogging a doe in heat and chasing her in circles. Looked like a 4 year old and a 3 year old. Even some intense fighting over her. Reminds a guy of Sweet Sweet November. Getting pretty late in the year for this kind of action. About the latest I've ever seen. Anyone else seeing this kind of action, this late in the year?

I did yesterday in cameras....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago behind my mom n dads house up in wi we watched a group of 4 bucks (2) 2.5yr olds and (2) 1.5 yr olds chase a fawn/doe around for over a half hr with several fights break out ! It was early January !!!! If she was bred that fawn would be born in early aug!!!! Guess its possible !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

On purpose? Every year guys think it’s early but happens during the gun seasons each time

On purpose. Season’s over for me- would’ve been tomorrow anyway. Just wanted venison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watched a string of bucks chase a doe during late ML season years ago, so not surprised. Young doe or an older doe not bred first estrous, etc.

I have seen flurries of rut/chasing on cameras this time of year. It stands to reason to, as it seems like I see a really small fawn or two about every year. They would have to be born about 2 months later than the rest of them. I know I saw at least one miniature fawn this fall too, still quite spotted in early October. Probably got conceived about now last year.

Late or 2nd rut has certainly kicked off. My son and I walked around at dusk last night and watched a couple of bucks pushing a few does around. In combination with the mild temps, It should make for a good and comfortable late muzzy season after Christmas.

I had a really big buck bump a doe by me one year while shotgun hunting 1st season, thats the latest I can definitely remember seeing it 1st hand. I did have a tiny spotted fawn on camera last year on Christmas day... Had to be the result of some late season naughty time

I know 100% from experience that big bucks will do this into January.

3 years ago on the 2nd to last day of late muzzy I was sitting in stand on one of the coldest sits I can remember. It was an evening sit and there was a group of does with a young fawn that would always crest the hill and come into the cornfield like clockwork. I was not expecting to see anything but that group.

Sure enough they crest the hill with an hour left of light...but to my surprise there is a buck with them. I still remember seeing the tines come over the hill. To this day it was the biggest buck I have seen on the hoof. 190-200 inches. Never seen him before that day.

He was following the fawn closely but I didnt think much of it. They were coming in on a string. I even remember I had a shot at 125 but they just kept coming so I figured why rush the shot...everything was perfect.

As luck would have it they get to about 75 yards and the buck gets really aggressive on the fawn. The fawn is now darting around the field 100 mph and the buck is chasing her full boar. They head back in a full chase the way they came in. The does continued to feed within 50 yards like nothing happened.

There was still plenty of light left so I prayed that they would come back. Never happened...and never saw him again.

Some fawns obviously come in very late...and it will trigger the bucks at the right moment.

Will never forget that...and if anything its taught me to take the first available good shot on a nice buck as anything can happen!

...Will never forget that...and if anything its taught me to take the first available good shot on a nice buck as anything can happen!

Oh man how I empathize with your story. The best learning experiences are the toughest. I've got a few and can honestly say that some are way more vivid memories than some actual mature buck harvests.

Slightly off topic question; but is it too soon for bred does to start showing pregnancy? I was in the tree this evening and saw (what appeared to me) a very young looking doe walking straight at me. I was going to pass on her but when she turned broadside, she had a massive barrel belly!

Thanks!

Seen a young doe being dogged by 21 bucks in the middle of a field next to big river ground in January once. Incredible sight and a couple of them were booners.

Slightly off topic question; but is it too soon for bred does to start showing pregnancy? I was in the tree this evening and saw (what appeared to me) a very young looking doe walking straight at me. I was going to pass on her but when she turned broadside, she had a massive barrel belly!

Thanks!

With most does getting bred close to November 13, seems odd to me that a young doe would be pregnant wide at this point. Fawning shouldn’t be until late May, and the later stages of pregnancy is when they really start to show. My money is on some other condition.

Last night, I was in a stand overlooking a cut corn field and I saw two little bucks sparring and one young buck chasing 2 does.

Tonight, I was in a tree stand in the woods and I saw a young 6 point chasing 5 or 6 does! The does didn't want anything to do with him but he was pursuing them hard even with his nose to the ground. Amazing!

Just thought I would share!

Funny someone bumped this thread. I saw the oldest deer on one of my farms last night 100% following/locked on a young doe. Zero doubt about it.

Saw a mature buck out in the open cruising mid-afternoon yesterday.

Top Bottom