Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best hang on tree stand to leave in the woods

hillrunner

PMA Member
I've got several stands that have been out in the woods a long time, I'm thinking it's probably time to start replacing some of these. I'm looking for opinions on what stands to replace with.
I love my lone Wolf for mobile hunting but a bulk purchase of lone Wolf is gonna be expensive and I really don't need that super light of a stand for pre sets. Important to me is that it's solid and quiet. Also needs quality straps and cables as they will remain in the trees year after year. I'm not interested in ladder stands or climbers.

I've got several stands that have been out in the woods a long time, I'm thinking it's probably time to start replacing some of these. I'm looking for opinions on what stands to replace with.
I love my lone Wolf for mobile hunting but a bulk purchase of lone Wolf is gonna be expensive and I really don't need that super light of a stand for pre sets. Important to me is that it's solid and quiet. Also needs quality straps and cables as they will remain in the trees year after year. I'm not interested in ladder stands or climbers.
I buy all Hawk Helium And Hawk Helium Kickbacks now. All my old steel stuff is rusting away and for an extra few bucks a stand it should fix that problem

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Millennium holds up great and is comfortable enough for all day. Comes with a lifeline, about $30 bonus value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're leaving it, it's going to get abused by the elements, critters, falling trees, etc. And it could end up disappearing all together. My suggestion is to pick up some cheap stands from Menard's or Sportsmans Guide. They'll last you a decade or more. I also suggest buying and carrying a portable $5 pad, because it won't take long for your stands to lose any and all stock padding. You're not heartbroken when one disappears. Just check your cables and pivot points regularly and replace straps when needed.

If you're leaving it, it's going to get abused by the elements, critters, falling trees, etc. And it could end up disappearing all together. My suggestion is to pick up some cheap stands from Menard's or Sportsmans Guide. They'll last you a decade or more. I also suggest buying and carrying a portable $5 pad, because it won't take long for your stands to lose any and all stock padding. You're not heartbroken when one disappears. Just check your cables and pivot points regularly and replace straps when needed.

I second this. I have about a half dozen cheap Menards hang-ons up. I just check/replace straps when needed. You can buy them after season for cheap, like $30-$40 each.

I had a number of the cheap Menards stands. They aren't as comfortable, or quiet as some of the other stands I have.
I recently sold all of them, keeping the better stuff.

Last edited:
I think a lot of folks go on a treestand evolution just as they do as a hunter.

As a younger guy it was all Menards type stands. When your young comfort doesn't seem nearly as important as saving some money. When your younger the real small platforms don't seem bothersome as your more fearless and probably not as wise.

As you grow older comfort becomes more important. Your back and butt can't take what they use to. You probably have a little more money to spend on nicer, bigger, more comfortable stands.

At my peak acres I was over 60 tree stands, mostly the Menard's type variety. I still have a lot of those up but started phasing them out for slightly larger & nicer ones. I will continue to do so as stands need replacement or farms come and go.

One thing none of us should compromise is safety. Make sure your checking those straps yearly.

Top Bottom