Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THE WISCONSIN STORY.....

I’m in zone 5 and do not have a NR landowner near me. Simply speaking from my experience.

One other thing, when it comes to access how many of you resident land owners allow hunting, say from Oct 31 to Nov 15? Lol. Truth be told I doubt many. As I stated my resident neighbors do not outside of family.

If one wants unfettered hunting you must own. If not permission must gained from a resident or NR landowner, period.

Last edited:
It’s the US you can buy anywhere you want.

As it should be.

The barrier to buying wherever you want is affordability. I've had my eye on a beach house down in Florida for a very long time. Unfortunately my carcass coons average about $5.00/carcass. I need a better beach house buying plan besides 10 traps and buying lottery tickets.

Affordability? Well, talk to your resident video stars who drove demand and affordability upward. As I stated a moment ago my Iowa neighbors have far more cash than I.

I think it is best to work with NR to keep out rifles, and to not add January antlerless seasons. I personally do not care for the R vs. NR split argument. If you talk to locals in Iowa, everyone that I have ever met. They seem to welcome NR and in many ways encourage us to harvest deer. I've never met one that is upset we are in Iowa, except on this site.

Bonker, what are talking about. You mentioned affordability not me. Simply stated why prices are high caused by resident variables. That’s all.

Bonker, what are talking about. You mentioned affordability not me. Simply stated why prices are high caused by resident variables. That’s all.

You are correct, I did mention affordability and you have replied a couple of times how much more money your neighbors have than you.

Kinda like saying your ice-cream is too cold.

My point was that NRs are depicted as swooping in with unlimited cash, buying up the rec ground to the chagrin of not as fortunate residents, when in fact my Iowa neighbors do really well . Read the entire thread.

Reactions: OMB
Backup the bus. I am not anti NR. I am all for hunters coming to Iowa to enjoy what we have. What I'm against is opening up the seasons to more NRs or allowing NR landowners access to yearly tags.

I agree. This site is not anti-NR, but many are against changing the rules for NR. And most don't like listening to NR complain about the rules in Iowa for NR.

If land is bought for hunting, it doesn't matter if it is R or NR, it is likely now off limits to other hunters. Allowing NR more tags and tags every year will no doubt have more land purchased for hunting by NR which reduces opportunity for other hunters.

RJack. Good point. Take my neighborhood at present. Most of the land is resident owned. They permit no hunting besides family. That’s not changing whether it’s R or NR owned.

A resident would not obtain permission from the resident landowners in my block, but many are quick to blame NR landowners for lack of access. Not accurate.

Last edited:
Backup the bus. I am not anti NR. I am all for hunters coming to Iowa to enjoy what we have. What I'm against is opening up the seasons to more NRs or allowing NR landowners access to yearly tags.

Didn't sound like it in your post, if you go re-read it. Sounded like you were upset that NR buy in Iowa. Which I just pointed out that NR buy in many other states, they hunt and fish in other states besides Iowa. I'd guess that we have more NR in one month in MN than you have the entire year in Iowa.

Didn't sound like it in your post, if you go re-read it. Sounded like you were upset that NR buy in Iowa. Which I just pointed out that NR buy in many other states, they hunt and fish in other states besides Iowa. I'd guess that we have more NR in one month in MN than you have the entire year in Iowa.

If you are talking about fishing I'm sure that is true. Fishing can be catch and release, deer hunting not so much. I'm not sure about MN stuff but do all the lakes that are surrounded by cabins have a public boat ramp?

I’m in zone 5 and do not have a NR landowner near me. Simply speaking from my experience.

One other thing, when it comes to access how many of you resident land owners allow hunting, say from Oct 31 to Nov 15? Lol. Truth be told I doubt many. As I stated my resident neighbors do not outside of family.

If one wants unfettered hunting you must own. If not permission must gained from a resident or NR landowner, period.

FWIW, even though I work very hard each year to "manage" the land that we have and most of the hunting that takes place is myself and my sons...each of us invite others pretty much every year to hunt on our land and there have been plenty of years where more deer are taken by invited guests than by "us". My sense is that this may not be common, but it is how I do it. I have lost track of the number of deer that others have shot while hunting with us, I am sure it is several dozen though over time.

When my boys were in their teens, particularly the youngest would invite a friend, or two, almost every weekend. I almost always deferred the best stand locations to the "boys".

My point was that NRs are depicted as swooping in with unlimited cash, buying up the rec ground to the chagrin of not as fortunate residents, when in fact my Iowa neighbors do really well . Read the entire thread.

Both things can be true...I have seen it plenty of times. There are relatively wealthy residents, who control large areas of land and restrict access. There are wealthy NR's who do the same. No one here is bashing anyone...just stating facts. Personally, I welcome anyone that wants to move to Iowa and be a resident here and I favor keeping a "barrier" of sorts for NR's, because without it there would be even more rec ground purchased, and restricted.

Daver, that’s awesome. That’s what the sport should be about. I too permit my resident neighbor, and his son in law, to hunt my place with access to any stand they choose.

There’s more than enough deer and if one of them take “ my target buck” good for them. Building relationships are far more important to me than a deer.

Read the entire thread.

I have and it comes off, to me, as "poor me" posts. If you say it isn't, then it isn't. We can read a post, apply our frame of reference to what is written and come to a conclusion. That's what I did.

Resident ownership and restriction is ok?? NR regs can change tomorrow for the better and NRs could buy my all resident owned block and access would remain exactly the same. As Ive mentioned my resident neighbors allow no hunting. You need to own it to hunt it.

Last edited:
I grew up and lived in Wisconsin for 27 years. Hunted all over the state for 16. I moved to Iowa in 2013, and whitetails had a big role in that. I had been traveling down to Iowa for 7 or 8 years prior to the move, to shed hunt and go to the deer classic. I fell in love. The difference in quality of deer at the Iowa classic vs. the Wisc show is unreal. Also, I could find as many sheds in 1 or 2 days here in Iowa, as I would in an entire season of walking in Wisc.

The deer herd in the northern half of the state is in very bad shape. There are very few deer up there now due to predators, a couple bad winters, and over harvest. Many of the guys always toss blame at the DNR, which may have a role in it, but at the end of the day they aren't the ones pulling the trigger. Hunters never seem to want to take accountability. Its always the DNR, or the Wolves, or the neighbors fault. My favorite are the guys that say they only saw 1 deer all week, and killed it. What?! Go buy beef.

The deer herd in the southern half of the state, the farm country, isn't what it used to be either. There are still some pockets and areas of higher deer densities, but many of the guys that drove up the interstate every year to hunt "up nort" are now staying south and hunting closer to home, therefore adding more pressure and killing more and younger deer in that half of the state.

This doesn't apply to all, but in my opinion, the older generation is harder on the deer numbers and quality in Wisc than the younger generation. They are the "brown its down" "if i dont kill it, my neighbor will" "I killed a buck" have-to-fill-a-tag type. Whereas the younger generation seems to understand how to manage a little better for deer numbers and especially quality. So maybe there is a little hope for them. It definitely has the genetics and the potential to be a top 5 state.

Can you kill big deer in WI? Yes, absolutely. Is it comparable to Iowa? No Way! The one thing Wisc tops Iowa with is the respectable outdoorsman. The trespassing down here is ridiculous. Im not sure if the law is a lot stricter in Wisc or if people are just more respectful of others property, but its A LOT worse down here.

I would agree on the trespassing. My primary trespassing occurs during shed and mushroom hunting season, no banging and booming to draw attention.

During deer season it’s the Amish. I’ve had more issues with them than anyone. Addressed the same guy 3 times. Didn’t care until the law became involved. The other issue we have is rifle carrying farmers for “coyote control”, right.

I’d say the Amish and the rifle shots every evening for “coyotes” is a bigger threat than NR landowners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom