Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THE WISCONSIN STORY.....

I just looked at everything on dnr site and cant find anywhere that it says 40acres ? I was told buy several people 40 acres or more i stand corrected!! Anyone know for sure on this ???

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

I just looked at everything on dnr site and cant find anywhere that it says 40acres ? I was told buy several people 40 acres or more i stand corrected!! Anyone know for sure on this ???

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk
See my post right before your last it’s greater than 2 acres.

Iowa has unlimited bucks during gun season - at least as many as you have tags for in your hunting party. Years ago, my uncle killed 4 bucks in 2 minutes in a drive.

I would be in favor of the 1 buck limit for all and add a 2nd for a landowner - and I am not a landowner (yet).

Ok take away the tags for all NR and say it’s just for NRLO, I’ll use my neighborhood for example. My farm is bordered by 3 other farms that are 720,850 and over 1000 acres in size and have limited hunting pressure, if NRLO could get a tag every year there’s a chance those farms could be sold off into smaller parcels since the land prices would certainly rise.So do you think quality would be effected when an area goes from 4 landowners to say 25? I sure do

100% correct. For an example just look at Buffalo County, WI.

Cheese and Crackers!!!! Seasons not over yet! To early for this chit!

But since I'm here I've said it before so I'll say it again.

Some of you need to look up what is known as the "North American Model" of wildlife management. There is nothing "Un murican" or commi about it. They're not the kings deer!

Big F Deal about two acres. Unless your breaking the rules you actually have to own/run a farm operation to get a LO tag. You can't get one for the acerage you're house sits on. I'm not even sure you could get one if you just owned timber. Maybe bend the rules saying you manage for timber harvest. IDK.
If anything LO tags are Unamerican or at least they were before the deer manager came along.

If you really think it's just hunters keeping NRLO regs in place think again. You think the people that actually live and farm where everyone wants to buy want out of state competition for ground? Hell, many of them don't appreciate the competition from Des Moines, CR/IC or the Quad Cities. I've gotten crap for my Scott County plates before but it goes a little better now that I don't have to say I'm from Dport.;)

I almost get more enjoyment shooting coyotes than whitetails anymore. Wayyyy too much butt hurt out there in the country in Iowa. Everyone wants to be manager / leaser anymore. Can hardly push deer with a shotgun anymore without some family member of some landowner getting butt hurt in the process. Everyone wonders why hunter numbers go down every year , everyone's tired of the bullshit. Myself included. Wisconsin must not be there yet.

Last edited:
Used to be 4 LOTs and as many over the counter you could buy until county quota ran out.

Just a FWIW, a few years back when tags were REALLY plentiful, and the deer numbers were higher too, I know some people that shot dozens of antlerless deer per year and at least one friend of mine shot more than 100 a couple of different years. (Not all as LOT's, but buying them in a given county and as I recall, even with some people "going to town" using those antlerless tags, I think some of those high quota counties never did sell out.)

Shooting does is a tough call in certain areas--you absolutely have to--and it may mean several. In other areas, it probably hurts to shoot does. That can all be in the same county. It is a tough management choice.

Last edited:
Shooting does is a tough call in certain areas,--you absolutely have to--and several. In other area, it probably hurts to shoot does. That can all be in the same county. It is a tough management choice.

And it can certainly change year to year on the exact same property. I cringe a little when a hunter tells me that they aren't seeing many deer on a given farm and then go on to tell me that they filled their antlerless tag(s). Hmmm. There are a lot of people who are not at all in tune with the areas that they hunt IMO...if there are tags available, or unfilled yet, they are shooting.

With other factors such as EHD die offs and so forth, you really have to assess things year to year and go from there.

When the big EHD die off hit Warren County, it didn't surprise me as that was a high deer population area. Now it might mean (0) does should be shot in some areas. Tough call. With EHD ....doe tag allocation will be very important, counties with extremely high deer populations will could see more disease issues.

Last edited:
When the big EHD die off hit Warren County, it didn't surprise me as that was a high deer population area. Now it might mean (0) does should be shot in some areas. Tough call. With EHD ....doe tag allocation will be very important, counties with extremely high deer populations will could see more disease issues.

Personally, I would never count on the DNR to precisely allocate the doe tags based on EHD outbreaks, etc. That's probably my anti-government bias showing through. :) But also, how would they even know for sure what the real #'s of EHD kills would be? Some people reported them and so there is some data, but I think it is likely terribly underreported based on what I have read from various people "in the area".

I cant believe some people on here spend millions / 100s/ 10s of thousands on basically farming whitetail deer. Im sorry but theres not much skill when you own 500 acres and have box blinds with heaters and manicured funnels and food plots and 15 shooters on your farm. The guys on public that shoot a 140 I can respect more than your 170 on your deer farm . Maybe im a minority there but the big deer I see killed dont even excite me unless I know the story of where they were killed. I almost get more enjoyment shooting coyotes than whitetails anymore. Wayyyy too much butt hurt out there in the country in Iowa. Everyone wants to be manager / leaser anymore. Can hardly push deer with a shotgun anymore without some family member of some landowner getting butt hurt in the process. Everyone wonders why hunter numbers go down every year , everyone's tired of the bullshit. Myself included. Wisconsin must not be there yet.
Your post is confusing, I'm not so sure it's the landowners that are butt hurt. As a landowner myself, I find great pleasure improving the habitat, helping the wildlife flourish with added food that I enjoyed growing and maintaining; what's wrong with that. If a non resident wants to purchase land in Iowa with his own hard earned money, maybe buy an over pastured timber and turn it into a wild life sanctuary "deer farmer", I think that's great. Some people enjoy giving back to the landscape, others only interested in seeing what they can take from it.

https://fox11online.com/sports/deer-hunt/hunters-react-to-19-day-gun-deer-season-proposal

I ran across this article and it caught my eye after reading this thread. Looks like Wisconsin just doesn't get it.

From the article,

A proposal is on the table to more than double the length of the gun deer hunting season in Wisconsin.....

The proposed season would likely take place during the deer mating season, or the "rut," and could impact the archery and crossbow seasons as well. People we talked to say recruiting young hunters is key to the future of the sport.

What??!! I don't think the key to the future is recruiting, and decimating the remaining mature bucks with guns during the rut isn't the long term answer either. I don't know about you guys, but small deer won't tempt me out of bed at O'dark thirty when it 5 below outside.

https://fox11online.com/sports/deer-hunt/hunters-react-to-19-day-gun-deer-season-proposal

I ran across this article and it caught my eye after reading this thread. Looks like Wisconsin just doesn't get it.

From the article,

A proposal is on the table to more than double the length of the gun deer hunting season in Wisconsin.....

The proposed season would likely take place during the deer mating season, or the "rut," and could impact the archery and crossbow seasons as well. People we talked to say recruiting young hunters is key to the future of the sport.

What??!! I don't think the key to the future is recruiting, and decimating the remaining mature bucks with guns during the rut isn't the long term answer either. I don't know about you guys, but small deer won't tempt me out of bed at O'dark thirty when it 5 below outside.
I'm very glad to live in Iowa. I'm sure some in Wisconsin get it, but unfortunately those that are creating and passing some of these proposals don't. I'd bet some of them don't really fully understand what they are actually doing. How in the world they think opening gun season for that much longer and during the rut is going to get kids/new hunters involved is absurd. You can pretty much hunt all fall and into January. That's a lot of opportunity. Really a shame, but also why quite a few of us fight to keep things from moving that direction here. Pretty easy to see from outside looking in.

Top Bottom