Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The big 8

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
This is a deer I have been watching since 2015. He was at least 4 then so he’s at least 8 now. As you can see he has changed very little in that time. Hopefully he passed on his EHD resistance because this is a deer that made it thru outbreaks in 2012, 2013, and 2019.

It is truly a blessing to be able to chase deer of this age class.

This deer never changed his core area in all the years I observed him. I had passed him a few times in years past, but it was his time. Hopefully this give the up and comers a little more room to make their home. Taped him at 160 1/8” as a clean 8; my 2nd largest 8 point and most definitely the oldest deer I’ve ever shot.

86b18f949eadb9c21c5b1ee29f006f46.jpg
7ee46317fc20ec12e76420d92fae3c45.jpg
af9d818672133628e6227961c85e18b5.jpg
1558d3d12f4626564c49526646e13763.jpg
2d7b0f5104c7aa19560d895a3de6dedb.jpg
8b0e26419253645f15e9148fdad00c57.jpg
156d7c745e2eaf46362b5ff173cab70a.jpg
2319afc94e7f83ef48159cfcc27008ee.jpg
ffbf4f47e84eb5e9905d6022c592b1d1.jpg
861647c69e2ae027c99e7c43a65879d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great buck! Congrats! That really reminds me of one that my son got a few years back, he was at least 8 years old and also 160" class 8 pointer. Although we have shot larger antlered bucks, we consider that one to be the prime trophy that we have ever harvested because of his age.

Heck of a deer. Crazy, looks like he’s toting his biggest set of headgear this year as well!

Good work!

Great deer, congrats! That 2019 picture in front of the blind is cool. Nov 1, 2019 seemed to be a great day for mature buck movement in a lot of areas.

When you say he never changed his core area? Could you expand on that? How many acres, was he a bully? Always interested in this stuff...

When you say he never changed his core area? Could you expand on that? How many acres, was he a bully? Always interested in this stuff...
This stuff isnt exact but i'm going to say for the most part he stayed on a few hundred acres. He was only on one half of my farm. I NEVER got pictures of him on the other half. Basically he was on camera at all times of the year.... year after year after year. He just always seemed to be there. Saw him many times. Took lots of video of him. Every time I pulled cards, he was there. He wasn't overly aggressive. If he was; he'd be taken out years ago. I never really targeted him until this muzzleloader season. I just always had other deer on my radar. This year with ehd.... options were limited AND more importantly there are a couple young superstars in his same area. I just made a decision it was his time to go and give those other deer the best shot to survive and thrive. On some level I think this deer just grew comfortable with me being there. He had to of crossed by path dozens of times in the past. He never left or seemed edgy..... if that makes sense.

This stuff isnt exact but i'm going to say for the most part he stayed on a few hundred acres. He was only on one half of my farm. I NEVER got pictures of him on the other half. Basically he was on camera at all times of the year.... year after year after year. He just always seemed to be there. Saw him many times. Took lots of video of him. Every time I pulled cards, he was there. He wasn't overly aggressive. If he was; he'd be taken out years ago. I never really targeted him until this muzzleloader season. I just always had other deer on my radar. This year with ehd.... options were limited AND more importantly there are a couple young superstars in his same area. I just made a decision it was his time to go and give those other deer the best shot to survive and thrive. On some level I think this deer just grew comfortable with me being there. He had to of crossed by path dozens of times in the past. He never left or seemed edgy..... if that makes sense.

FWIW, we have seen very similar things over the years. Certain bucks are commonly seen or photographed on one half of the farm and then almost never on the other half. Some deer will trade over to neighbor's of course, but it definitely seems like if they go south, they don't go north, and vice versa. I am always intrigued by these patterns too.

Top Bottom