Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electric Fence question

Wire is easier to string, and I think it carries the current better. Tape is more visible unless you tie markers to the wire for visibility, but that's a pain in the butt as well.
Wire is also easier to splice together, but harder to roll up at the end of the year imo.
I've used both, and probably will continue to do so..

I haven't had a fence up for a couple of years now...mainly because my beans have been a failure for at least the last two years due to drought...but when I do put a fence up, it is three strands. One tape, which I think aids visibility, and two wire. I made a handy dandy device that holds a medium sized spool on the front of my ATV. When winding it back in, one guy drives the ATV and winds the spool as they move slowly forward and the other guy walks ahead and guides/untangles the wire in front of the spool. That goes pretty smooth. I normally take the part of the driver...no sense getting all sweaty. :)

I haven't had a fence up for a couple of years now...mainly because my beans have been a failure for at least the last two years due to drought...but when I do put a fence up, it is three strands. One tape, which I think aids visibility, and two wire. I made a handy dandy device that holds a medium sized spool on the front of my ATV. When winding it back in, one guy drives the ATV and winds the spool as they move slowly forward and the other guy walks ahead and guides/untangles the wire in front of the spool. That goes pretty smooth. I normally take the part of the driver...no sense getting all sweaty. :)

So which section do you put the tape on middle row ?

So which section do you put the tape on middle row ?

full

I am not sure who I stole this from...so sorry to whomever that may be. :) But this is how I put up e-fence when I do it. One strand of tape, on the outside fence, 18" off of the ground. 3 feet inside of the outside line is the inside line, with two strands of wire, one 10" off of the ground, the other 24" off of the ground. I have had good success with this arrangement when used...all the way up to the point where bucks start chasing does in early November. Then I would find that something had run into the fence and compromised it...on almost daily basis. It was my impression that deer were not wrecking the fence trying to get into the beans so much as they were running into it because they were sprinting around madly trying to escape roving bucks...if you know what I mean? :) :) (Wapsi may not understand what I am hinting at here...but I sense that all of the other red blooded fellows will. :) :))

But...if you can get your beans to early November and then take the fence down, there is usually enough other food available then that they will not be immediately snarfed up and should last well into the winter. IMO, the deer won't hit those mature beans that hard until mid to late December'ish.

Daver, that is the exact recipe I used. I kept the fence up until after Thanksgiving and pulled it for the gun seasons. I too found wire displaced due to bucks chasing does, proven from trail camera's. Next year I am going to make multiple bean plots and remove fence, when I want the deer in those plots. Figured I would remove one for youth season. Remove one during the rut and save the big plot for the gun season, trying to keep more shooters on the property. Yes more work but hopefully more success.

Top Bottom