Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows, what's the big deal?

You could substitute a variety of weapons in for the word "crossbow" and then make the same arguments in favor of it. For example..."If you want to get kids hunting, start them out with a crossbow. (Use the word "muzzleloader" instead.) If we are going to indulge the kids, why make them struggle with a crossbow...why not make sure they can kill a deer by allowing them a rifle, etc? My point is that you could point/counter point all day...kids have WAY more opportunities these days than I ever did growing up, which is just fine, but my point is that we lose sight of the real issues when we start down these paths.

Iowa is a state that others come to, from all over this country, and move to and hope to have their dream hunt(s) here. Why? Because it has different regulations basically. We don't have more deer habitat than any of our neighboring states, in fact, far less of it. We don't have more deer than our neighbors, we have fewer of them. While there is plenty of nutrition here for the deer, the #1 dominant reason that we have what others want is simple...our regs "protect" bucks from being knocked out of the herd at age 18 months...period.

Why then are some constantly trying to "make it easier" every year? People that are aged or infirm can hunt with a crossbow now, kids have 10x the opportunities available to them these days than at any time in the history of Iowa deer hunting...but if we keep sliding our way to "easy" the fragile system that we have could collapse and we could suddenly be like every other goofed up state...just look around us. Leave the regs as they are.

I am for people with disabilities to have crossbows. That being said it is way to easy for people to get a note from a doctor to get a crossbow. I agree with what previous people have mentioned regarding the reason people want to come here and why we have such a good age structure. We have this because in my opinion the state has done it right with seasons. No gun seasons during rut! I think we shouldn't allow crossbows for archery bc they are so accurate out to such a far distance. Easily shooting out to 80-100yds. I don't think we need them in archery season bc it will hurt Iowa's big buck numbers and if you want to use it go to another state. Iowa has plenty of seasons and weapons. I'm sry but stop complaining and deal with it.

Well, I will weigh in from a pro-crossbow standpoint.....

I am 55. I have had both my shoulders operated on. I tried to use a 40# compound. I could draw it, but I could never hold it for more than 5 or 10 seconds without alot of shaking and real pain. I do NOT hunt with a gun other than pheasants. Should I not be allowed to hunt with a crossbow?

Well, I will weigh in from a pro-crossbow standpoint.....

I am 55. I have had both my shoulders operated on. I tried to use a 40# compound. I could draw it, but I could never hold it for more than 5 or 10 seconds without alot of shaking and real pain. I do NOT hunt with a gun other than pheasants. Should I not be allowed to hunt with a crossbow?

That is exactly why you can get a valid doctors excuse and shoot a crossbow perfectly legal already. So your point is null.

My point isnt null. My point is not all of us with xbows are 45 and hunt deer during gun season. Some of us would rather use a vertical bow but are not capable, not using a loophole to ruin the deer population or anybody elses hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point isnt null. My point is not all of us with xbows are 45 and hunt deer during gun season. Some of us would rather use a vertical bow but are not capable, not using a loophole to ruin the deer population or anybody elses hunt.

I think what chip was trying to communicate is folks like yourself, that have legitimate medical reasons to use a crossbow is not what anyone is contesting. Opening crossbows to anyone and everyone, as part of the normal archery season, is what a lot of people get heart burn about, myself included.

My point is not all of us with xbows are 45 and hunt deer during gun season. Some of us would rather use a vertical bow but are not capable, not using a loophole to ruin the deer population or anybody elses hunt."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I am confused. I thought you had not purchased a xgun yet? Above you say "not all of us with xguns"....who is us? I doubt you are here to stir the pot looking at your first 4 posts.:rolleyes:;)

I am confused. I thought you had not purchased a xgun yet? Above you say "not all of us with xguns"....who is us? I doubt you are here to stir the pot looking at your first 4 posts.:rolleyes:;)

Xbows....sorry. I am not a pot stirrer! LOL. Just an old man that wants to try to get a nice buck!

Xbows....sorry. I am not a pot stirrer! LOL. Just an old man that wants to try to get a nice buck!

I do think that a hunter should NOT be able to get an xbow tag AND a shotgun tag in the same year. But who am I?

No big deal at all
We dont have "crossbow tags" in Iowa - it is just an alternate weapon to be used during archery season with permission of the DNR and your doctor - using archery tag
Or a crossbow can used as an alternate weapon during late muzzleloader by anyone - using late muzzleloader tag
Neither crossbow nor any type of archery equipment are legal to use during shotgun season by anyone

I think this system is just fine and should stay exactly how it is - no need to change anything about it

How about reduce it to 1 buck tag per person, per year and choose your weapon. Crossbow, bow, shotgun, straight wall rifle or muzzy. No centerfold rifle. No 3 bucks for landowners or 2 for everyone else.

How about reduce it to 1 buck tag per person, per year and choose your weapon. Crossbow, bow, shotgun, straight wall rifle or muzzy. No centerfold rifle. No 3 bucks for landowners or 2 for everyone else.

Between disease outbreaks and increasing pressure I think that at some point we might have to look at reducing tags but it won't happen until it's to late. Most hunters would shoot the last deer standing if that's what it came down to. Tag prices would have to go up to cover lost revenue and few would agree to reducing tags to improve the experience.

You'll never get rid of landowner tags.

Top Bottom