Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land pressure

My thoughts on this thread are split. I dont fault the guy for asking and I dont fall far from Booners thoughts. It's an open forum where anyone with internet access can view it. Everyone is giving up places and that's probably someone's honey hole that they have been hunting since they were a kid. And maybe the people calling booner a phallus gave the OP advice in a PM, but Booner gave advice to the OP to get here as early as possible and walk alot because people are already looking.
And before I get called a d***, I gave the OP plenty of spots and advice in a PM. Like I said I dont fault him for asking and have no problem giving up some info, but reward the guy who has the balls to create an account and ask, not anyone who can lurk or run a google search.
I don't think it was the advice from Booner that was the issue, but rather the personal attacks.
Welcome to the site Francis. Good luck in your pursuits.

I don't think it was the advice from Booner that was the issue, but rather the personal attacks.
Musta missed the personal attack cuz all I see is him stating an opinion about publicly sharing information about a resource. The only personal attack I saw was him getting called the Male reproductive organ by 2 others

Come out the coldest part of February if you want to shed hunt public. I’m talking single digits. You won’t have a lot of competition on the week days. Work was slow last year during the coldest part of winter and I walked a lot of public just for something else to walk and found quite a few sheds. Most guys wait til the weekend and when weather is nicer and less snow.

Good luck!

I dunno about shed season at eldon wildlife area but bow hunting is crazy there alot of locals hunt it and I hunted it quite a bit this year with very few deer sightings and seeing a ton of hunters and cars in the parking lots not sure I'll go back

Thank you. Its a bummer how far all the hunting forums have fallen since the Facebook and everything. Been trying to find another good one for years.

I've hunted public land in a different zone for almost 20 years now. Pressure varies from year to year. Most years I have my spots to myself, especially during the week. Some years not. Have a few spots picked out and you will be fine, if it's like where I go. Week days are definitely less pressured than weekends. The farther in you go, the fewer people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good luck, it seems like as access to private gets harder to come by the public gets hit harder and harder. I've bow hunted public in IA for 15 years. Once I find a good spot I seem to have it to myself for 2-3 years before I get crowded out, and then it's on to the next spot. It's tough, but there are good places out there you can have to your self even on a Saturday on Nov. 4th.

My advice is get out here and work your butt off to find good public spots. Everyone sheds hunts now so good luck with that. You'll have some good days hunting public and you'll have your bad days. Hunting in Iowa isn't what it used to be. A lot more competitive. There are giants on public every year in Iowa. You might be one of the lucky ones to kill one. I don't see booner as a D*** either, his view is very similar to a lot of Iowa residents. Non-Res hunters have hurt the state more than helped. IE buying up a ton of ground in Southern, Southeast part of state. From Ohio you have experience with hunting big deer, and you stated you have experience with NON-RES hunters there as well. With the limited amount of Public in Iowa you will experience high pressure. What's positive about this upcoming year for you? Every year a few giants get killed off of public. So you never know man! It could happen. Good Luck,

I don’t see it. I’ll say it again, been a NR landowner in zone 5 for 18 years and I’m the only one for several miles. I do not know another. My section is “locked up” by resident landowners who allow zero hunting outside family. If you gaze at their property from the road the Sheriff is called. It’s easy to blame NR landowners but it’s not been my experience. Francis, knock on doors, do public, whatever...you’ll be fine. This is the last place you’ll get honest advice. Is this site affiliated with CNN or MSNBC?

Last edited:
I don’t see it. I’ll say it again, been a NR landowner in zone 5 for 18 years and I’m the only one for several miles. I do not know another. My section is “locked up” by resident landowners who allow zero hunting outside family. If you gaze at their property from the road the Sheriff is called. It’s easy to blame NR landowners but it’s not been my experience. Francis, knock on doors, do public, whatever...you’ll be fine. This is the last place you’ll get honest advice. Is this site affiliated with CNN or MSNBC?

I have to say that your comment above hit me wrong. I have been on this site pretty regularly for over 15 years and this is one of the best places anywhere on the internet to get honest, high quality advice. If you are going to make that claim I challenge you "man up" and identify someone, even one person, that is providing dishonest advice. I'll wait.

Just because others do not agree with you and/or have different experiences than you does not make them wrong or dishonest. You keep repeating that you are the only NRLO in your area...which is fine. No one has called you dishonest for saying that BTW. Do you think that the situation in your, what 2-3 sq mile area, is EXACTLY the same all across the state for everyone else? Do you think that your experience is the only valid barometer of this situation? Your repeated answers send that signal.

No this site is affiliated with members from Iowa, who live in Iowa, pay taxes in iowa, have kids who make friends with other Iowa residents, go to school events in Iowa, play sports in Iowa and most importantly hunt in Iowa for more than 10 days a year. We see more of the state than the 160 acre parcel and surrounding farm you think makes up for the majority.........therefor we know how Iowa’s feel toward Non residents. It’s easy to speak with such a big tone 1000 miles away. You’re not a resident, therefor don’t put words in residents mouths. The only reason more people aren’t piping up, is for the fact this argument is pointless. Also for fear of people making assumptions or accusing someone of wrong doing for nothing more than speaking their opinion. Which last time I checked, wasn’t a crime or a personal attack toward anyone. Read between the lines, twist it however you want to; at the end of the day your opinion doesn’t mean a thing to any of us with a backbone..........

I’ll man up anytime you choose. I think 18 years there gives me the ability to give my opinion. The continued NRLO bashing theme is old. In 18 years there nothing has changed. I’m the only NRLO for miles, residents lock up all the land, and your hunting is fine. Blow this old horn as the new legislative session begins. That’s what you do. I’ve paid a ton of money to Iowa banks, counties, contractors etc. Get off of that theme too. It’s old. BTW I travel there 8 to 10 times per year. Not just to hunt. I’ll meet anyone, to man up, for an honest discussion if you choose.

Last edited:
I’ll man up anytime you choose. I think 18 years there gives me the ability to give my opinion. The continued NRLO bashing theme is old. In 18 years there nothing has changed. I’m the only NRLO for miles, residents lock up all the land, and your hunting is fine. Blow this old horn as the new legislative session begins. That’s what you do. I’ve paid a ton of money to Iowa banks, counties, contractors etc. Get off of that theme too. It’s old. BTW I travel there 8 to 10 times per year. Not just to hunt. I’ll meet anyone, to man up, for an honest discussion if you choose.

Man up then. Name someone you think has been dishonest. No one has said that you can't share your opinion...no one. Back up your nameless accusation.

You kidding me. That question is completely subjective. Residents claim the NRLO raid but in my experience there is few. You want me to go county to county and register NRLOs. Really. In the best zone in Iowa , in my area, I’m it. Meet you anytime.

I’m your huckleberry........

No problem brother as you quote tombstone. Best choice To learn about NRLOs. Where and when, to discuss....,,,

Last edited:
No problem brother as you quote tombstone. Best choice of your life. Where and when, to discuss.

Best choice of my life? Ha ha this is a great. Shoot me a PM when you make one of your 8 trips to gods country. I’m pretty flexible, being a resident and all

You have no clue. I’ll meet you anytime. You’re a joke and I’ll prove it. I’m in albia often. You game

You have no clue. I’ll meet you anytime. You’re a joke and I’ll prove it. I’m in albia often. You game

Im a joke and you’ll prove it? Are we turning this violent now? Making threats over the internet?

Like I said, shoot me a PM. I’ll meet up with you anytime you want.

Top Bottom