Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mouse Proofing Camper

Hey guys, wondering if you guys have any tricks for mouse proofing a camper. Last year we tried Irish Spring soap and dryer sheets, but that didn't bother the mice. This year we tried steel wool around all of the plumbing coming in from the floor as well as some peppermint scented packets. Looked the other day and have evidence of mice again. A couple of the packets have been chewed on. Steel wool seemed to be as I left it when the camper was put in storage. What do you guys do? Thanks!

Man U got a project! I can’t wait to hear if anyone has solutions. Million mouse traps and million of those secured mouse poison boxes. If its sealed & Ton of traps & tons of mouse poison boxes- what else can a guy do????

Yeah, I thought about the poison, but then wondered where they may go to die. I used sticky traps after taking out of storage last spring, and got a couple mice. But also had one pull itself off the trap. The trap was under the bench seat at the table and there was enough space under the end of it for the mouse to crawl under while getting the trap caught and the mouse got away. Left a bunch of hair on the trap!

I know your first goal is to keep them out of your camper, can be very hard to do.
Back up plan...if they keep finding a way in go get a 5 gallon bucket put a little antifreeze in it.
Rig up a coat hanger with it going through a pop can with the wire going through the top and across the bucket.
Next put some peanut butter on the can, when mice crawl out on the wire to the can it tips mice fall into bucket.
Might need to make a little ramp so they get to top of bucket easier... It will look very gross but no worry where the mice died at, all in the bottom of bucket.
We have very good results at our cabin.

I was able to keep mice out of my motorhome by puttying mothballs under it. I'd buy a couple boxes and pour some into tied off socks. Put about five of these near the tires and randomly under the rest. Never had any mice. I was also crazy anal about no food in it. I mean no crumbs, ketsup packets... nothing.

If you already have some you probably will need some decon and glue traps to get rid of what is there.

Steel wool is good. So are moth balls and the bucket trap. Big deal is keeping it super clean with no food at all. A big part of it too is where it's sitting. If on bare grass or ground it will be hard. If on gravel or a pad may want to consider expanding the area of open hard ground around trailer.

If on gravel or a pad may want to consider expanding the area of open hard ground around trailer.
A good point there. I put down a gravel pad that extended a good 5-6 around it in all directions. It was just to keep it out off the mud but probably helped with the mice.

I assumed they must have to climb up the tires, so if moth balls could keep them off the tires I figured i'd have a good chance of keeping them out. Also, I was worried about odor getting inside at first, but never had any problems with the RV smelling form the moth balls under it.

Cats are free. A cat door is $10.

I dont really like cats, but I hate mice. This is what I did at my old shop and now my outbuilding. Went from horrible mice problems (endless stories) to zero mice.

A good point there. I put down a gravel pad that extended a good 5-6 around it in all directions. It was just to keep it out off the mud but probably helped with the mice.

I assumed they must have to climb up the tires, so if moth balls could keep them off the tires I figured i'd have a good chance of keeping them out. Also, I was worried about odor getting inside at first, but never had any problems with the RV smelling form the moth balls under it.

I made the mistake of putting the mothballs IN the first camper we owned for the first winter. My wife chewed on me about that every time we used the camper for the next three years until it was stolen.

Also, parking on top of vegetation, even your lawn, on a regular basis can lead to excessive moisture built up and rot on your floor boards.

Good luck keeping mice, and water, out of a camper parked outdoors. When I had a camper I always battled both and was usually on the short end of the stick. Also, using any technique that kills mice and then they die and rot inside the camper...know that this can be a serious health threat for some people, potentially even fatal. Short, short version...once upon a time my approximately 12 year old, then, son and I arrived at our camper one evening and the smell of decaying mice was ever present, I always had traps and DCon around as no amount of caulk, steel wool, etc, ever totally prevented them from getting in.

He had an allergic reaction that could have been super serious if he had gone to bed and was sleeping when the symptoms(swelling of tongue, etc.) came on. We ended up in the ER that night and that did it for me...camper gone, built a real cabin that was mouseproof. See link below for additional info. In short, do not mess around with dead mice in your camper/dwelling.

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

As long as you are not in freezing temps, put a 5 gallon bucket with Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper 1/3 full

Put a little peanut butter on the inside, then have a mouse roller (see on YouTube) they crawl up walk the plank and fall/roll in. It works

Tried many of the above solutions, but heard about gravel around the camper as they can't easily walk on it. Sold the camper And built a cabin.
Should have done it years ago.

Go to the dollar store and buy a couple boxes of dryer sheets and scatter them around in there. Thats what I did when I stored my boat for the winter with the cover on. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the dollar store and buy a couple boxes of dryer sheets and scatter them around in there. Thats what I did when I stored my boat for the winter with the cover on. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done dryer sheets before, but didn't stop them.

Top Bottom