Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When youth tags can be sold and methods of take SF 2141

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would make youth tags available for purchase during any season. There is also a section that allows any weapon that is legal in any other season to be used during youth season. I thought that was already the rule. It's my guess that this is some sort of language that would allow youth hunters to use hand guns or crossbows or perhaps it is for future methods of take.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF2141&ga=88

Referred to the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee. No sub committee assigned.

This bill would make youth tags available for purchase during any season. There is also a section that allows any weapon that is legal in any other season to be used during youth season. I thought that was already the rule. It's my guess that this is some sort of language that would allow youth hunters to use hand guns or crossbows or perhaps it is for future methods of take.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF2141&ga=88

Referred to the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee. No sub committee assigned.
So a little devil's advocate here. Is this going to allow the "yutes" to use centerfire rifles? There is no language stating otherwise and that was a legal weapon for the late antlerless seasons up in this part of the state and I believe in a few southern counties. As it is written it doesnt exclude that option IMO.

So a little devil's advocate here. Is this going to allow the "yutes" to use centerfire rifles? There is no language stating otherwise and that was a legal weapon for the late antlerless seasons up in this part of the state and I believe in a few southern counties. As it is written it doesnt exclude that option IMO.

Didn't think of that. Super sneaky. If it gets a sub assignment we need to be sure to point that out. I would be against. Also, don't know if it's somewhere else or not but I'd feel better if it stated Youth tags not eligible for cross tagging AKA party hunting.

Didn't think of that. Super sneaky. If it gets a sub assignment we need to be sure to point that out. I would be against. Also, don't know if it's somewhere else or not but I'd feel better if it stated Youth tags not eligible for cross tagging AKA party hunting.
I'd also like to see it made clear that the any weapon does not transfer to the other seasons and that during those seasons they must use the weapon outlined for the general public. I know that 99 percent of individuals already know that but there have been a few cases and questions where they thought just because they were allowed any weapon during the youth season then they were allowed any weapon anytime using the youth tag. I think the current regs state both this and the partying hunting with a youth tag not being allowed. Would just want to make sure it stays if the youth tag regs are changed

It seems like all states are pounding the youth hunts! Can they seriously not hunt with the rest of us during the unbelievably long seasons that exist already? We might have to determine if youth hunts really add that many hunters? I am for some youth hunts, but some of this is overkill.

It seems like all states are pounding the youth hunts! Can they seriously not hunt with the rest of us during the unbelievably long seasons that exist already? We might have to determine if youth hunts really add that many hunters? I am for some youth hunts, but some of this is overkill.

It's really hard for some people to grasp, but unlimited opportunity does not always equal greater participation. I saw it first have with my daughter. Since her tag was allowed to float through all the seasons, she never developed that excitement for opening morning, never felt any sense of urgency as the season just seemed never ending. She would turn down hunting for about any other activity that popped up since she could "always hunt next week" .
In life, rarity creates demand/value. Over exposure of anything cheapens it. You need to have less available than what people want. Leaving people wanting more creates a demand and excitement for it's return.

One advantage around home for youth season is more people are more likely to let you take a kid hunting on their ground where they might not if they had to hunt the same time as the adults. Also I like that the youth season is before harvest really gets going so I actually have time to take somebody.

Both good points, I am not against youth seasons. I wish they would let kids take a bow into a State Park that is off limits to hunting and let them harvest a few deer...a mentored hunt. I brought that up to a DNR official in MN, and said no, we have to offer that to adults??

Honestly I think archery hooks kids for life, my son's age must have 25 kids in his grade out of say 55 boys that bow hunt. They love it, they also like to shoot carp and just shoot the bow. Let's offer more archery only hunts for the kids?

One advantage around home for youth season is more people are more likely to let you take a kid hunting on their ground where they might not if they had to hunt the same time as the adults. Also I like that the youth season is before harvest really gets going so I actually have time to take somebody.
I like youth season, I think it's a good idea. I do not like the floating tags. I think it cheapens youth season by reducing the excitement for it.

Subcommittee appointed:

Senator Mark Segebart, Senate District 6 (Buena Vista, Sac, Carroll, Audubon and parts of Crawford counties) Email: mark.segebart@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10727

Senator Nate Boulton, Senate District 16 (Polk county, parts of Des Moines and Pleasant Hill) Email: nate.boulton@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18073

Senator Cournoyer. Senate District 49 (Clinton and part of Scott counties) Legislative web page: chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27004

No meeting date as of this post 2/6/20.

Only the Youth can fill a Youth tag.

Subcommittee recommends amendment and passage.

Unknown at this time what the amendment may be.

This actually is on the committee agenda for today, 2/13/20

Last edited:
Top Bottom