Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Orange on public during late ML HSB 564

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would require wearing orange while crossing through public land or water during late muzzle loader season. I believe this bill would require anyone, bow hunter, wildlife observer, shed hunter, hiker, skier, snowshoer, dog musher, dog trainer, trapper or whomever to ware orange. Of interest, this section of the code defines what articles of blaze orange needs to be worn during deer and upland bird hunting. I also think once a bowhunter is in their stand the article of orange clothing can be removed.

Link to bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HSB564&ga=88

Subcommittee:

Representative Scott Ourth, House District 26 (part of Warren county including Indianola) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

Representative Anne Osmundson, District 56 (Allamakee and most of Clayton County) Email: Anne.Osmundson@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27029

Representative Jon Thorup House District 28 (parts of Jasper, Marion and Lucas Counties) Email: Jon.Thorup@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27021

Way I read it is still only applies to hunters. Says several times a person approaching a tree stand. Meaning bow hunters during late muzz.

Way I read it is still only applies to hunters. Says several times a person approaching a tree stand. Meaning bow hunters during late muzz.

Is the "approaching" language in there to mean it's OK for a bow hunter to take it off once they are in the tree?

If it is indeed a safety issue anybody on public ground or crossing public waters during any ML season needs to wear orange. I didn't see it until this AM but it does say "during a muzzleloading season" in the bill.

Hopefully there will be some clarification.

Is the "approaching" language in there to mean it's OK for a bow hunter to take it off once they are in the tree?

If it is indeed a safety issue anybody on public ground or crossing public waters during any ML season needs to wear orange. I didn't see it until this AM but it does say "during a muzzleloading season" in the bill.

Hopefully there will be some clarification.

I think it indicates once in the tree a non muzzy hunter could remove. Seems kind of silly to me. What if I'm hunting from the ground?

Any legislation, including what's currently on the books, that only requires 'gun hunters' to wear blaze orange during gun seasons is silly. Since blaze orange obviously addresses a safety concern, then everyone within shooting distance of active hunters, during any gun season, should be required to wear blaze orange, at all times. Otherwise it only takes into consideration that 'gun hunters' are the only people in jeopardy of being shot. This legislation, however it's meant to be interpreted, is about establishing more control, not about addressing a safety concern.

I'm completely for this bill and it should require anyone on public during a gun season to wear orange. I bowhunt public during early muzzy and would wear it. Last winter we were doing some small deer drives on public. I was a pusher with and was trying to shoot a doe. Came over a hill to a cut corn field and a doe was feeding. Pulled up the muzzy and was getting steady when I caught movement in the skope. Turns out the locals were having some sort of hike on public and there were a whole lot of white and brown clothing. Recipe for disaster in my opinion. Not blaming them for being there, but they should use better judgement on attire IMO.

I think this is a little over the top... Would this mean that anyone fishing/boating/hunting on public waters would be required to wear orange too... Like duck hunters, fisherman, kayakers and everyone?
A lot of people that aren't out gun hunting dont even realize when gun seasons are going... And would it just be during a season when a single projectile weapon is used like youth, early muzzy, shotgun and late muzzy squirrel season, rabbit season coyote season... Or would it include shotshell seasons like pheasant and spring turkey, I mean I dont wanna be trying to turkey hunt wearing an orange vest...
There isnt a single day in the year when rifles cant be shot on public ground chasing coyotes so would this mean every single time you step on public ground you have to be wearing orange... If so thats ridiculous and way over the top.
You want to make people safer then post when gun deer seasons are open at all public parking areas so people know and can act accordingly.

Oops... Just reread the post title... Late muzzy season

But either way if this goes through I can see it turning into everything I said in my post above and that would suck

That was my mistake, it is for early as well.
Wonder if this would apply to blinds then as well like during shotgun season... Be a lot of upset waterfowlers if they had to have orange all over their boats.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Wonder if this would apply to blinds then as well like during shotgun season... Be a lot of upset waterfowlers if they had to have orange all over their boats.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
It is only for people passing through public land. I would assume once stationary it is not required. Not a fan of the bill saying leaving or approaching a treestand. Either make it all encompassing for people passing through public land or leave it alone and dont require it.

• Deleted by Fishbonker
  • Reason: Duplicate
Show…
An amendment to this bill was offered today. The amendment has 2 parts. The first part would make the section it affects read like this:

"2. A person shall not hunt upland game birds, as defined by the department on private ground, unless the person is at the time wearing one or more of the following articles of visible, external apparel, the color and material of which shall be at least fifty percent solid blaze orange:"

The words "on private ground" was added.

This is what the second part of the bill would read if the amendment was adopted:

"A person shall not pass through public hunting land during any season established by the commission unless the person is at the time wearing one or more of the following articles of visible, external apparel, the color and material of which shall be solid blaze orange:"

Link to bill and amendment: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=H8037&ga=88

Some language was removed and some added. Instead of muzzle loader season all seasons are included. Tree stand reference was removed.

An amendment to this bill was offered today. The amendment has 2 parts. The first part would make the section it affects read like this:

"2. A person shall not hunt upland game birds, as defined by the department on private ground, unless the person is at the time wearing one or more of the following articles of visible, external apparel, the color and material of which shall be at least fifty percent solid blaze orange:"

The words "on private ground" was added.

This is what the second part of the bill would read if the amendment was adopted:

"A person shall not pass through public hunting land during any season established by the commission unless the person is at the time wearing one or more of the following articles of visible, external apparel, the color and material of which shall be solid blaze orange:"

Link to bill and amendment: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=H8037&ga=88

Some language was removed and some added. Instead of muzzle loader season all seasons are included. Tree stand reference was removed.

Oh Brother. So blaze orange while bowhunting? Just passing through? Once I'm on stand I can remove? WTF. A solution in search of a problem.

50 some years ago there was a bill that would require bowhunters to wear orange while bowhunting. A small group of guys from the Waterloo area were drinking coffee around a table and said this was no good..... thus they formed the IBA as we know it today and they got the bill stopped.

I hope for nostalgia reasons the IBA is trying to kill this bill!

This bill is now on the House Daily Debate Calendar.

Doesn't mean it is going to be called for debate, just that it is one step closer. Hard to tell how this one is going to go. The bill came about because a legislator was sitting in his tree stand while ML hunting and watched a bowhunter walk through the area and he thought it would be a good safety idea for that bow hunter to be wearing orange. I don't think there is any intent other than safety but as stated, its a solution looking for a problem.

This bill is now on the House Daily Debate Calendar.

Doesn't mean it is going to be called for debate, just that it is one step closer. Hard to tell how this one is going to go. The bill came about because a legislator was sitting in his tree stand while ML hunting and watched a bowhunter walk through the area and he thought it would be a good safety idea for that bow hunter to be wearing orange. I don't think there is any intent other than safety but as stated, its a solution looking for a problem.

Great, another legislature that thinks it's his/her job to protect me from myself. I just hope my mom never becomes one, mandatory scarf for anyone outside in the winter! :D

Top Bottom