Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Hits close to home

The IA HF2458 bill is addressing their plan of action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From there past plan of action is a shed buck season for every county where it is found!

CWD has been in Iowa for decades. EHD is more of a problem IMO. Hell I believe EHD was found first in Davis CO years ago.

Meant to say CWD was found in Davis years ago.

Yes, but that was on a deer farm I believe. I'm pretty sure first case was documented in a wild deer in Iowa 2014 in Allamakee county.

I get it that ehd is ugly and in your face when it happens but it's from an insect bite and not transmitted deer to deer. It's nothing like cwd. Probably nothing can be done about either but evidence is pretty solid once you have cwd in an area you have it for good. Lots of finger crossing that some deer have immunity but no studies bear that out. All info I've seen show 100 percent transmission and death. Many areas have been hit hard by ehd or blue tongue and recovered over time. Some deer even survive.

Last edited:
The problem I got is there nothing we can probably do about either but the only idea they got to control cwd is killing them all. I get so pissed off when you here they are going to put a pile of corn and just shoot everything. Now I don't know but can't imagine they put a pile out and shoot the deer that night. I would guess leave it for a night or two so than any deer that may be infected infects the pile. So any deer that eats from the pile and doesn't get shot is now infected.

Had a buddy tell me a public area had 2 case of cwd they shot 900 deer only 1 other deer out of the 900 had cwd.

I don't know what the solution is but cwd has been around for a long time and no one has been able to control it. So why are we follow what every other state has done in attempts to control cwd.

Or that corn pile in front of antler cams.

Iowa is trying to slow the spread, not eradicate it. Perhaps if we think of it as 900 deer died to try and keep the remaining deer in that area from dispersing and spreading the disease we may find it more palatable. Or not.

A word about the proposed disease bill, it doesn't indicate nor dictate the plan. It gives the DNR more tools to try and stop the spread. Carcass movement has been identified as one of the causes of spreading CWD and this bill would prohibit that. The other big thing in this bill is it adds CWD to the list of diseases on the communicable disease list for IDALS.

Also of note is HSB 684 the agricultural omnibus bill https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=hsb684 There are parts to this bill that would allow IDALS to seize diseased animals and suspected diseased animals to prevent the spread of disease. I believe this would give them more latitude to act on deer farms than they currently have.

Or that corn pile in front of antler cams.

Iowa is trying to slow the spread, not eradicate it. Perhaps if we think of it as 900 deer died to try and keep the remaining deer in that area from dispersing and spreading the disease we may find it more palatable. Or not.

A word about the proposed disease bill, it doesn't indicate nor dictate the plan. It gives the DNR more tools to try and stop the spread. Carcass movement has been identified as one of the causes of spreading CWD and this bill would prohibit that. The other big thing in this bill is it adds CWD to the list of diseases on the communicable disease list for IDALS.

Also of note is HSB 684 the agricultural omnibus bill https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=hsb684 There are parts to this bill that would allow IDALS to seize diseased animals and suspected diseased animals to prevent the spread of disease. I believe this would give them more latitude to act on deer farms than they currently have.

I agree if I had to loose all my deer to know that it would never come back I could deal with it. The problem is it can still spread in afterwards. It's just a non winning situation that needs a better answer to make more sense to me and others I've talked

The problem I got is there nothing we can probably do about either but the only idea they got to control cwd is killing them all. I get so pissed off when you here they are going to put a pile of corn and just shoot everything. Now I don't know but can't imagine they put a pile out and shoot the deer that night. I would guess leave it for a night or two so than any deer that may be infected infects the pile. So any deer that eats from the pile and doesn't get shot is now infected.

Had a buddy tell me a public area had 2 case of cwd they shot 900 deer only 1 other deer out of the 900 had cwd.

I don't know what the solution is but cwd has been around for a long time and no one has been able to control it. So why are we follow what every other state has done in attempts to control cwd.
Right! Like I’ve said before, this year in MN in particular area, the Sharpshooters had bait piles out for 17 days before they started shooting over them. And right now they are only shooting Monday-Thursday. I’ve personally seen deer at the piles with no shooters around. There is no way they are killing every single deer at these piles. I’ve seen areas that aren’t holding deer before the piles, but are now holding deer because of the corn. They are concentrating deer. Something that no doubt will make cwd spread. Just this afternoon I saw a pile of crows eating on a bait station of corn, no big deal right? Well I know for a fact they’ve shot positive deer off this corn pile in the past. Are now the crows spreading the prions? I don’t know, but it certainly can’t help anything. Most people would be all for eradication if that meant that once deer started to repopulate the problem would be gone. But it’s not. There is no good solution to this until a genetic resistance is found.

Yes, but that was on a deer farm I believe. I'm pretty sure first case was documented in a wild deer in Iowa 2014 in Allamakee county.

I get it that ehd is ugly and in your face when it happens but it's from an insect bite and not transmitted deer to deer. It's nothing like cwd. Probably nothing can be done about either but evidence is pretty solid once you have cwd in an area you have it for good. Lots of finger crossing that some deer have immunity but no studies bear that out. All info I've seen show 100 percent transmission and death. Many areas have been hit hard by ehd or blue tongue and recovered over time. Some deer even survive.
We've had CWD in Iowa for a Long Time. EHD is fairly new. Our deer herd has been just fine since CWD is been here. EHD has had more effect on deer numbers in last 5 years than CWD. we should be far more concerned with EHD than CWD. Sorry but I completely disagree with you on this one. Just ask warren, madison co their thoughts.

We've had CWD in Iowa for a Long Time. EHD is fairly new. Our deer herd has been just fine since CWD is been here. EHD has had more effect on deer numbers in last 5 years than CWD. we should be far more concerned with EHD than CWD. Sorry but I completely disagree with you on this one. Just ask warren, madison co their thoughts.

Why did Warren County and Madison County get hit so bad?

Maybe because it warmer southern Iowa cattle pasture country with lots of muddy stock ponds and a high deer population

Maybe because it warmer southern Iowa cattle pasture country with lots of muddy stock ponds and a high deer population

Between EHD, global warming (longer midge season) and CWD there won't be any deer in Iowa. Looks like I picked a good year to start ice fishing. Oh wait, global warming. Damn.

I wonder if EHD gets reported more in the populated counties than less populated counties and that skews the results?

Edited to replace "it" with "EHD"

Last edited:
Top Bottom