Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Habitat work ... what are your spring plans.

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
Wow, bored with the shutdown... what have you guys been up to?

Besides shed hunting, a little chainsaw work. Cleared some timber for a plot, actually a firewood guy did not most it..

Post some pics to if you have them.

I got some bedding areas hinge cut on one of the farms already and actually have a new farm under contract down in Van Buren which needs quite a bit of work so I’ll be posting some pics and updates when we get started after we close.
Now just have to get one of the other farms sold to 1031.

I finished up hanging 3 more wood duck houses yesterday, giving me a total of 6 new ones up this year. I am very curious to see how this pans out, I am hopeful that all of the houses are used this year.

Also, I had a pair of geese try to nest on my big pond last year, on the bank, and judging by all of the feathers I found later and that I never saw any goslings...I think something got the nest and mom and/or dad. Nature. So this year, while not wanting too many geese crapping things up, I put up a goose nesting platform yesterday and I am pretty confident that it will get used, as there is a pair on the pond almost all of the time now.

One of my wood duck boxes and my hillbilly goose nesting platform.
b9952548c5d1b8d1b18f669fffbcbe7c.jpg
1d848fe26013a70752c0ccb047b09ad2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Clover seed, fertilizer and lime went down last month. Got TSI done last weekend a d a wood duck box put up. Planted wildflowers around the pond. Ordered 2 cherry and two Chinese chestnut trees. Hoping to get those soon to plant, but making time for turkey hunting. Also have fish ordered for the pond. Whew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've planted 10 clover plots so far, got dozer scheduled for one farm. Going to fix some erosion issues and put in a new crossing to a new adjacent piece, 120 fruit trees are showing up in a couple weeks. Most of those are going in the nursery. Have to finish the nursery fencing yet. Few week a way and it will be time to spray bean plots. Converting planter to no-kill as we speak which should be great. Beans start beginning of May, weather pending. Switchgrass to spray. Got tree eating skid steer coming this week for invasive management which I'll followim with spraying. Have some switchgrass to spray.

.... never ends, but I love it.

I've planted 10 clover plots so far, got dozer scheduled for one farm. Going to fix some erosion issues and put in a new crossing to a new adjacent piece, 120 fruit trees are showing up in a couple weeks. Most of those are going in the nursery. Have to finish the nursery fencing yet. Few week a way and it will be time to spray bean plots. Converting planter to no-kill as we speak which should be great. Beans start beginning of May, weather pending. Switchgrass to spray. Got tree eating skid steer coming this week for invasive management which I'll followim with spraying. Have some switchgrass to spray.

.... never ends, but I love it.

What are some of the varieties of fruit trees?

Clover seed, fertilizer and lime went down last month. Got TSI done last weekend a d a wood duck box put up. Planted wildflowers around the pond. Ordered 2 cherry and two Chinese chestnut trees. Hoping to get those soon to plant, but making time for turkey hunting. Also have fish ordered for the pond. Whew!

Debating on whether to spread lime on some of my small plots that are already frost seeded to clover. From what I’ve been able to read, surface liming (not discing, tilling, or incorporating in to the soil) tends to only correct the top inch or two of the soil. Thinking I may be better off waiting till late summer when I till down some of the clover plots and I can till the lime in at same time before planting some brassica, oats, etc....Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Daver do you put predator cones on the wood duck boxes?

Sort of, not really. :) I have three of my boxes that are mounted on steel pipe, 3/4", or maybe 1", diameter AND each of these are in the water, at least 10' from the shore. I am counting on Rocky Raccoon not being able to climb a relatively small diameter pipe with wet feet. :) Seriously, if you, or anyone, thinks that won't block Procyon Lotor, please give me a shout, as I would not want to lose a clutch, hen, etc.

The others, like shown in the picture, are mounted on dry ground and are on 8' treated 4" x 4"s. I did put "wraps" of aluminum on the 4" x 4", which provides about 2 feet of slippery protection...I hope. Again, if you don't think that will get 'er done, let me know and I can still add some cones, but I thought what I did would prevent nest raiding. But...I am not 100% sure.

Daver do you put predator cones on the wood duck boxes?

Curtis congratulations on your engagement!!!! Its hard enough to find a person you want to spend the rest of your life with let alone someone as pretty as Pat is.

433db36b790a6ec23e4fa4e89ffaaf44.jpg

Cool seasons gonna be warm seasons pretty fast here.... fire and then nuked & planted.
2046064a2aae0c2f14142e72995ecc95.jpg

b5a7cf1aec86932bd14608c8919e1386.jpg

76d94a5ad599950c16b03781d5ed1b78.jpg

715983b7ae0491751c5dd2b5b12625f4.jpg

96353c968e91a4cf4b819890fce196e7.jpg

6f875d4adc6b5234f0e77379a75d8be8.jpg

Lots more to come. Full steam!!!! SUCK IT CORONAVIRUS!!!!!

I just bought part of a property this last summer, and bought the rest in Dec. so far I've put up 3 wood duck boxes and 7 blue bird boxes. I'm currently burning off the pasture ground and planting a pollinator mix plus planting clover for fire breaks. I've got trees and flowering native shrubs coming in a month.

I planted my hilltop pasture in alfalfa mid March. I'm hoping it takes this time. Drought killed it before it could get established the last time I tried. Our spring vacation was cancelled due to C-19 panic, so I've been keeping busy and spending vacation $ on the promised tree house for the kids. Can't post pics due to size restrictions of this Site. Resized them twice and still can't.

I planted my hilltop pasture in alfalfa mid March. I'm hoping it takes this time. Drought killed it before it could get established the last time I tried. Our spring vacation was cancelled due to C-19 panic, so I've been keeping busy and spending vacation $ on the promised tree house for the kids. Can't post pics due to size restrictions of this Site. Resized them twice and still can't.
Download Tapatalk if u can. I use it only for pictures & makes it super simple & fast.

Need to chainsaw trees off the wetlands dam, spread SoilFloc on the other pond to try to stop a leak.

Top Bottom