Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Habitat work ... what are your spring plans.

Curtis congratulations on your engagement!!!! Its hard enough to find a person you want to spend the rest of your life with let alone someone as pretty as Pat is.

You can thank Skip for that it’s always a surprise to see what photo he’s gonna use next lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daver I think that should work. I was just curious because I see a lot of posts in my waterfowl groups showing snakes up in the boxes.

Daver I think that should work. I was just curious because I see a lot of posts in my waterfowl groups showing snakes up in the boxes.

Interesting...I wonder if I am still vulnerable to snakes with my boxes then??? Does anyone think any snake in Iowa could scale either a 1" diameter steel pole OR a 4"x4" wrapped with sheet aluminum for about 2'?

Only snake I’d be concerned about is northern water snake really. Other than that I don’t think the others would bother it.

Fish structure added today. Pond work from lil earlier. As well as more trees, etc, etc.

f9fdb94ea1608e4cd23ebbbb4b221a5a.jpg

5c8a365759b16f941cd4ca09dfb3665c.jpg

e103048523973b4262b2a644727fca83.jpg

f94bfe179bb2f6c54938e3d725638e36.jpg

fc9c484b60719c262534d2417a00ebef.jpg

f5a1c7db284106e071b872bad523ffa4.jpg

45b2e8cb01f89a6ea0d38443aaea93ad.jpg

1ffbd0c8e02a7aca920bcd1604add4f9.jpg

Very nice Skip. Lots of progress there. Are those spawning structures for perch or just structure?

Very nice Skip. Lots of progress there. Are those spawning structures for perch or just structure?
I think just structure?? My buddy did them on his pond for structure & really liked them so I just tried them. I’m far from the fish guru ;). Ponds are gonna be filled with changes in structure, elevation, have rock, sand, trees, etc so I know it’ll be better than the old “empty bowl” like some. Time will tell. Hope the kids enjoy it.

Skip - your pond looks great, I think you will really like having it and I am sure that your son will. :) Just a thought after having one built about 4 years ago now...I see that yours is not filled yet and if I could go back do anything different in mine I would add even more contour(bumps, humps, ridges, shelfs, etc) AND drop some heavy stone on them to create crevices, etc, for little fish, perhaps crawdads, etc. Where I did that in my own pond I am finding that the fish REALLY like that type of structure...now I wished I would have done more...and I did plenty. :)

I see that you have some of that already going on, but I don't think you can overdo it on that type of structure in what will be 3' to 8' of water when full. Good luck!

Skip that looks incredible, that's a dream pond!

I've been spending my spring shed hunting (found 53 so far), doing my first TSI ever (quite the learning curve), preparing almost 7 acres of ground for plots this spring/summer, and prepping to hit the lake chasing some spawning largemouth.

Top Bottom