Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Snapping Turtles

cybball

Anyone have good ways of getting snapping turtles out of a pond? My pond is brand new. Just stocked. Saw a big turtle in there today. Didn’t have a way of getting him.
Any suggestions? Floats? Bank lines? What bait and setup? I’m sure this won’t end, but I’d like to get them out when possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd run bank and float lines if you have a way to get the floats. Use tarred masonry line and half sets beef/chicken liver and other half rotten fish. Leave some skin on the fish to keep on the hook better. On our floats we used a milk/laundry detergent jug, 12" of electric fence wire tied to12 inches of line. The wire was for using treble hooks so you could push it through the liver and slide down over the treble hook.
The other option is finding someone with a hoop style or D style trap.
You looking to harvest or relocate the turtles?

My buddy and I used to catch them on rod and reel. Bigger rods with baitcasters. Always used bigger hooks and used steak or stew meat. If the pond isnt too big it wont take long for him to find the steak. An old timer told my buddy only one thing in a pond smells like steak.

I'd run bank and float lines if you have a way to get the floats. Use tarred masonry line and half sets beef/chicken liver and other half rotten fish. Leave some skin on the fish to keep on the hook better. On our floats we used a milk/laundry detergent jug, 12" of electric fence wire tied to12 inches of line. The wire was for using treble hooks so you could push it through the liver and slide down over the treble hook.
The other option is finding someone with a hoop style or D style trap.
You looking to harvest or relocate the turtles?
I may try both bank and floats for now. I'd like something that can soak for a day or two. I've caught plenty on rod and reel, but want the traps working with me not there.
I plan to relocate him to heaven. LOL

If you aren't going to be there then you should google floating turtle traps. There are many videos for how to make them and they are pretty cool. If you go this route, post a video of how you do.

This is great! I will need to learn this!! Would it work or be legal to bring a .22 to the pond with u and shoot em?

This is great! I will need to learn this!! Would it work or be legal to bring a .22 to the pond with u and shoot em?

Not sure. I’ll have to check the regs. Suspect it’s like nuisance animals, but would be good to know first.

Not sure. I’ll have to check the regs. Suspect it’s like nuisance animals, but would be good to know first.

Looks like alligator snappers is continuous season. You can take turtles only by hand, turtle hook, turtle trap or hook and line. Guns aren’t listed.
I’ll be trying some bank lines and jugs.
Other types of turtles are more restricted. I know I’m dealing with a snapper.

We used to have a blast running jugs in my grandparents pond. Then we started using the hoop traps as we grew up. Always a good time.

He cut one of our 4 bank lines. Checked Tuesday. Going with a trot line type line and steel leaders. I had used trilene big game 50lb and it cut clean through.

He cut one of our 4 bank lines. Checked Tuesday. Going with a trot line type line and steel leaders. I had used trilene big game 50lb and it cut clean through.

Yeah thats not near enough. Between their mouths and then their claws once they are hooked you will for sure want to use tarred masonry line not fishing line. I would forgo the steel leaders. Have tried the in the past and that always failed before the tarred line

Turtle trap is the way to go, baited with carp. I used to catch a pile of turtles out of ponds. There is a turtle farm near us and when the market was good you could trap and sell to them. You will have to continue to trap as turtles will migrate from pond to pond during the nesting/breeding season. Just like the rut you see big snappers out on the roads cruising.

Starting at the simple end, but may need a real "trap" at some point. Just got some tarred 320lb bank line and some good hooks. I'm going to put them out next weekend and see how that goes. No way is that thing breaking through this rig. LOL Well, hopefully not.

Anyone have good ways of getting snapping turtles out of a pond? My pond is brand new. Just stocked. Saw a big turtle in there today. Didn’t have a way of getting him.
Any suggestions? Floats? Bank lines? What bait and setup? I’m sure this won’t end, but I’d like to get them out when possible.

I wish I was closer. I would come do it. Turtle traps are what you need. I bait mine with frozen beef liver and fresh fish( carp, etc.). Put a film of fish oil on the water to speed things up and be ready to dump turtles out of nets next day. Season opens back up July 15 , closed for egg laying now. Where are you located? Maybe up for a road trip later to help out.

You could try this??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
No one would believe this but I think this summarizes my childhood - 7 to maybe 12 years old!! Bro & I filled my parents house with turtles frogs snakes and lizards. Still remember putting a 25-ish lbs snapper in our pool when Ma had her friends over to swim!!! Or the call from old crabby neighbors to my mom “ur boys filled our pool with snapping turtles again!!!!” Ha!!!!

Top Bottom