Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too early for turnip and radish?

Only problem is with a good rain. Which is hard to come by with this heat dome. May have a good chance this week. What I do is get area tilled and prepped. When I see a big rain on radar I run out and plant. But I guess its too early.

For you Iowa boys, broadcasting Purple Top Turnips into bean stubble...First week of August? Thoughts
Im assuming its a field that was beans last year? If thats the case as long as you can good seed to soil contact you should be fine with adequate rain, which this year seems to be a premium

For you Iowa boys, broadcasting Purple Top Turnips into bean stubble...First week of August? Thoughts

Timing wise, I think you would be fine there. But, while I have had it work to broadcast brasssicas, I have also had it not work so well at times. I still do it, but it isn't a 100% guarantee in my experience. Of course, timely rains are key. If you do so right before a nice soaker I think you are probably in the 98% likely to succeed category.

We usually wait till the beans are well into their yellowing process right before the leaves drop if possible. spread to soon and they get moisture and try to germinate without any sunlight and you'll have nothing.

ive had great luck with planting brassicas in both beans and corn just after labor day weekend or the week after. And im more of a early to mid August time frame for planting turnips and radish- rather have a smaller bulb during hunting season

July 29 -August 8

This ^^ is the most popular planting date range for brassicas, but...I have gone later, even into early September, many times, with good success. Usually my planting a little later was related to lacking moisture in early to mid August. While early August is the preferred planting date range...I would definitely plant them later if I was short on moisture and was just in front of a nice rain and be glad about that.

If I am "late", as in September, then I shift the ratio to favor more radishes v. turnips...as radishes need a little less time to grow to be viable before frost.

"While early August is the preferred planting date range...I would definitely plant them later if I was short on moisture and was just in front of a nice rain and be glad about that."

My last couple seasons of brassicas have been planted right around 8/1. Germination was solid but growth - not so much. I am no farmer so low PH (vs lack of subsequent moisture) could have been my issue. I have limed my brassica spots for this year and will be seeding a week or so later (rain dependent of course).

I an in the north part of the state and I like to see them in the ground July 15th - 25th if I want bulbs or any size. If all you want is green tops waiting wont hurt

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom