Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Watering trees

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
I thought that might have been behind me for the year and I could stay out of my hunting areas before season but it's looking dry again. Any thoughts on that from the serious tree planters out there?

You are correct. If you have any young recently planted trees,,get out there with water. Stay as clean as possible and water! I was called negative bringing this up, but as I expected, we are back to sun and NO rain after 4 days of rain. Aug and Sept are going down as mostly Sunny dry Months for my place anyway. My rye and Oats got in before the rain. Came up good! Now stalling in growth with no more moisture. Deer chomping it back down to dust. Oh Well,,,the way it goes.

I dug down a little over the last few days.... Was pretty moist under there. The cool temps have not cooked things. Now, I had a few trees where the soil was more bare on top than they should be.... Ya, too dry. Anything with any mulch at all was fine though. Bare soil that's black & nothing on top: probably needs water. Any cover, probably fine. Dig into the soil a couple inches & you will know what the moisture is looking like instantly.

Depends on where you are. Last rain was not all that much everywhere in Iowa. Especially after a near record Dry Aug... Extended forecast nest 2 wks. Little in the way of appreciable moisture. Sorry,,just the forecast.

Depends on where you are. Last rain was not all that much everywhere in Iowa. Especially after a near record Dry Aug... Extended forecast nest 2 wks. Little in the way of appreciable moisture. Sorry,,just the forecast.
Covered soil that’s not worked up to release all the moisture... god makes some pretty Resilient & tolerant plants & trees. This is not that stressful on them. If they have some cover that is. & if they in healthy Soil with good structure, organic matter, etc.

It’s not 90-100 degrees out. Yes, if this is 1st year trees- I’d water. My trees in locations with low rain that are over a year old- as long as some residue or mulch on top- I have no plans to water them. Again, dig down a bit & check but as long is its not man made issues that cause drynesss (bare soil or worked soil) - this is par for the course & not an extreme example. Do hope for lil rain but not like the roasting & dry July’s of a few years ago.

1. For newly planted trees we were told to water every 7-10 days up-to October 15 if 1 inch rains or more do not occur about every week or two. When watering be sure the water is soaking in all the way to the bottom of the root ball. Most important to control competing vegetation (grass-weeds) within 2 ft of tree with light cultivation, light mulch, or our favorite is chemical herbicide.
  2. The tree farm by us recommends watering the 2nd year only if there hasn't been rain for 10 days.
I also remember reading to give a good soak prior to winter. This gives a nice ice ball around the roots which helps protect the trees in spring when you have that 60 degree day followed by freezing weather.

Top Bottom