Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead issues

deerhunter93

I know this should have happened months ago and not a few days into the season but here's my issue. I purchased a used Elite E35 late spring, took months for the new mods to be shipped and put on my bow, and at the archery shop I got it paper tuned. It was probably sometime in late July when I got the bow back home.

I shot it a few nights ago to get the single pin all sighted in for me and I was able to start stacking them in pretty good at 30 yards. I threw on my 3 blade 100 grain cabelas broadhead (I only used one arrow and one broadhead as to not dull multiple blades). I've used this same head since starting bow hunting 15 years ago and they were all over the place. High right, high left, and twice I completely missed the target low at 30 yards. One shot the arrow was at a pretty significant angle going into the target at 30 yards.

What do you guys think? Try one of the other cabelas broadheads that I have to see if it was maybe that particular broadhead? Go buy a couple different broadheads to try? Go back to the archery shop and see if something messed up the tuning even though I haven't moved a single thing on the bow.

I've had it in the past where broadheads were shooting different than field points but were still grouping good so I just sighted in the broadheads but this time they are all over the place and I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Being that it is hunting season, quickest solution is likely to go get some expandables..... I know can of worms that everyone has an opinion about. Lots of options.... ONE option... i'm shooting SEVR... best flying head i've ever shot. Plenty of other options.

Boyd and others can prolly help diagnose issue on fixed heads....

Good luck.

Could be alot of different issues from arrow spine to tune. Slick trick Viper tricks are the best I have used for a fixed. I would try it thru paper first. Also try starting close and see as you backup

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree with above, it's too late to be messing around tuning a bow. Buy some expendables and go hunting.

U notice ur fletchings hitting something ? Maybe enough to not fly straight & broadheads grabbing the air flow to make it off by a lot. Or - spin ur broadhead- see if it’s on straight. Those are my 1st 2 go-to’s.

If it were me I would look to find the issue now. Plenty of time to fix it this early especially with 2 weeks of warm weather forcast. If there is an issue it will show up when you least want it to. Super easy to rig up paper to shoot thru or do a little walk back. Like said above too a simple arrow spin may help or put that head on a few arrows and try it. If its that erratic something is up, timing, contact, string stretch, something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Id check a different arrow first, and if that doesn't fix it I'd check a different head. If still unsolved id run it to Boyd's or another archery shop to have them check it out. Id assume it'll be fixed or issue(head or arrow) will be resolved in one visit and then shoot nightly. Ideally everyone should have been shooting their bow all summer, but life happens. I dusted mine off 2 weeks ago. And was as confident after 10 shots that first night as I am right now after shooting daily.

I'm with oct lull. I'm not a great tuner so if I couldn't fix it with rest adjustment (after I tried some of your other fixed heads and arrows) id drive a long way to a good shop. Something is off pretty good if your broadheads are that inconsistent. Yes an expandable will cover a lot up but you will still suffer penetration or possibly accuracy wise with an out of tune bow.

I 100% agree about shooting all summer and all year round for that matter but it's one of those things that just gets pushed off. I have the arrows from my old bow so I'll give those a try. The ones that came with the bow seem like they are stiff for shooting 60lbs. I'll try a few of the suggestions, thanks everyone that chimed in!

And I realized after posting that this was in the classifieds portion - my bad.

I'm still tweaking my setup too, so I hear ya. Might also shoot a bare shaft at 10 yds and see how it's flying (hitting angled down, up, or flat), you may be under spined. Ranch Fairy and The Hunting Public have some good content on bare shaft tuning and arrow setups. You can go up or down in poundage and add some front weight to tune your arrows in. What arrows are you shooting?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Could be several things
- arrow spine or just bad arrows?
- bad broadheads, not spinning true?
- inconsistent grip or torque?
- Bent or Out of time cams or improperly set draw-stop
- or others

I'll admit. I got caught up in the Ranch Fairy heavy arrow thing. BUT, I'm glad I did. I've bowhunted since 1991 and never really understood arrows (spine, grain weight, FOC (front of center), etc). This was way more educational for me than anything. Going through the whole process, shooting bare shaft arrows, I realized how off my arrow rest was. Also in bumping up a little weight, added heavier inserts, squaring off the ends of my arrows so they are true, nock tuning (crazy how different a bareshaft arrow will fly depending on where the nock is positioned), broadhead tuning, etc. Before all of this, guy at shop said "this is the spine you need" and bought them. Screwed on broadheads and off I went. I now understnad soooooo much more about most of it, but am still learning.
After years of crappy penetration on deer and arrows flying strangely, I finally decided to experiment this fall. Got a new rest, went through the heavier arrow build and bought a new sight. It's been super fun so far and I'll see how the results look starting this month.

Took my bow in to scheels years ago to switch mods...after a suspiciously long time the guy tracked me down and said "Your bow is ready...oh, and I adjusted your timing". Couldn't hit the target @ 20 yards when I got home. My arrows were also under-spined at the time, just made the situation worse. Gunrunr saved my bow season that year. If you can't get it figured out yourself, make the trip to see him in Pella.

I'm still tweaking my setup too, so I hear ya. Might also shoot a bare shaft at 10 yds and see how it's flying (hitting angled down, up, or flat), you may be under spined. Ranch Fairy and The Hunting Public have some good content on bare shaft tuning and arrow setups. You can go up or down in poundage and add some front weight to tune your arrows in. What arrows are you shooting?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've shot Goldtip 5575 arrows for probably 10 years now. The bow I bought came with VAP TKO elite 350 spine arrows so that's what I was using. I still have the Goldtips so I'll shoot those as well. I'll be tinkering with it today and hopefully can find a solution/combination that works.

Last edited:
Took my bow in to scheels years ago to switch mods...after a suspiciously long time the guy tracked me down and said "Your bow is ready...oh, and I adjusted your timing". Couldn't hit the target @ 20 yards when I got home. My arrows were also under-spined at the time, just made the situation worse. Gunrunr saved my bow season that year. If you can't get it figured out yourself, make the trip to see him in Pella.

What type of fetching do you have ?
I recommend a 4 inch vane/feather with any type of fixed blade head . Solves lots if issue with fixed heads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What is the shop in pella?

One of the longtime IW sponsors, Gunrunr/Boyd Mathes, operates Buck Hollow Sports just outside of Pella. He is a good guy with plenty of good products and knowledge available. I bought a bow from him a couple of years ago that I am really happy with, so I can personally vouch for him too.

What type of fetching do you have ?
I recommend a 4 inch vane/feather with any type of fixed blade head . Solves lots if issue with fixed heads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The VAP TKO arrows have four 2.5 inch lower profile fletchings and the Goldtips have three blazer vanes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom