Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what's happening????

MAXRACX

PMA Member
good morning everyone, well i leave for what i call heaven tues afternoon. will get to the farm late tues nite. can any one tell me what phase of the game the rut is in. the farm i hunt has seen very little pressure, however the two other hunters in there have killed. a 10point 164 gross and a 10point 154 gross. the farmer says he keeps seeing an absolute hog since the other guys left. all he needs to do is make one mistake. anyway, chase... breeding... or searching???? i like searching. any current reports would really help. i'll be hunting in webster county. good luck to all.

My experience the last week to 10 days is that the rut is definetely in the "TOTALLY DONE" stage. I know it varies from one area to the next, but I've seen very little chasing, searching, etc. this past week. Deer have gone back to somewhat nocturnal patterns with an emphasis on feeding. Not what I'd normally expect to see this time of year. Hopefully your area will be different...good luck!

NWBuck

last night after turkey hunting i got out early and watched 7 bucks tending a hot doe. of course, of the 7, only one was a big dog. probably a 150, 4 1/2 year old. he was charging and chasing the young bucks away while still herding the doe away from them. it ruled, then the smaller bucks all locked up. quite a sight 40 yards off the road!!

Still seeing lots of younger bucks being very very nervous. Like they are tired of getting their ass kicked.

Bunch of yearings still hanging with Momma. Most of the activity as been in the fields, not in the timber area.

At least that I my 2.5 cents worth adjusted for inflation.

I would agree with all the posts. Most areas I am covering are very slow with almost no activity but feeding by large doe groups.

Then I will go to another area and a mature buck will be chasing a lone yearling doe. This was the case yesterday around 4:30 PM, I just couldn't get my camera focused quick enough to get a pic.

It is harder hunting, no doubt but if you observe and use your time wisely it could happen.

Good luck,

TLH

DEFINETLY ON THE DOWN SIDE RIGHT NOW. MAYBE MORE ACTIVITY FROM THE 27TH THRU THE 3RD IF YOU HAVE ANY CONFIDENCE IN THE LUNAR PHASE. (I DO) I SAW A NICE 12, A 150 IN OR SO, BUSY KEEPING 2 SMALL BUCKS AWAY FROM A DOE THURSDAY MORNING IN AN OPEN FIELD. THEY WERE ALL OUT THERE FOR AN HOUR AND 1/2 BEFORE THEY LEFT TOGETHER. GOOD LUCK..........

thanks for the input, i leave this afternoon. can't wait, hopefully the weather stays constant. i don't follow the moon phase, i hunt when i can, but if the moon and the stars are aligned right maybe i'll get lucky.weds to sun go in in the dark, come out in the dark.thanks again to all that replied,happy thanksgiving.

Hello,

Well in my opinion the bucks are still pretty darn rutty in southern Iowa!

Last week was some of the toughest hunting I can remember. Though there was some spotty mid-day and early morning buck movement, things were tough. Deer were generally coming out 15 minutes past shooting light in most areas that I hunt, when the moon would rise. Now, the still-bright moon is rising much later and bucks are acting more like the crepuscular beasts that they are, with increased daybreak movement and much better early afternoon movment as well. Also, last week was the peak of the rut in many areas and many bucks just weren't moving much because they were with does and doe groups. When the does would move, so would the bucks, and it was often after dark.

But things definately changed this weekend. Since Saturday, I have seen a dramatic increase in buck movement at all times of the day.

I think what happens, too, at this time of the year, after the bulk of the does have been bred, is that we get into a make or break hunting pattern. That is, you will have many dead zones seemingly devode of deer -- even in areas that were earlier very good buck spots -- because bucks are stockpilling into areas where there may be one of the few remaining estrous does. This leaves one area that is full of bucks and many areas that are dead seas. Doe pickings are getting slim right now for the bucks and when a doe does come into heat she will be pulling in bucks from literally miles around.

I saw this last year in dramatic fashion as 13 bucks of all sizes spent 2.5 hours chasing a late estrous young doe all around the bottom I was hunting in. It was one of the most exciting times I've ever spent in a tree.

I often see bucks tag-teaming this time of year -- combing the landscape together in a joined effort to find an estrous doe. I saw this last Saturday and Sunday as well. Multiple bucks seemingly searching together for does. I don't know if there has been any research that supports this idea but it is kind of like the "birds in a flock" strategy -- where multiple sets of eye's, ears and noses -- in the case of deer -- can find something that much easier. This may be one reason why so many good areas seem dead right now while other areas are piping hot.

Regardless, I would hunt travel funnel type areas in and around major doe hangout or on the way to and from preferred food sources. I would rattle and grunt fairly often to capture the attention of unseen bucks that may be passing near in thick cover. A decoy could work wonders on a stray passing buck or three -- but I believe it could also cost you a big buck. An estrous doe will often avoid other deer and, in my experience, a decoy will spook does 25% of the time anyway. If you are pushing does away, you may also push away the buck that may be in tow behind.

Good luck hunting! Raven

Raven,

Good stuff, great observations from the past year.

Depending on how you feel about "moon phases" but Nov. 30 to Dec. 7 could be a pretty good time to be in the woods and fields.

Good Hunting!

TLH

TLH,

I think you are right on the money with your prediction. Deer should be moving well during daylight hours then. We will have to wait and see.

Fortunately, I have a couple of doe tags left to fill -- going to take the recurve out for some more fun!

Good Hunting...Raven

Top Bottom