Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

200+ Iowa Archery Trophy

gunrunr

Life Member
I had found a new spot on my own land that I had always walked right on by heading to what I thought was better hunting areas. I noticed some good scrapes and rubs and it appeared to be getting a lot of buck traffic yet, even after the peak of the rut. I moved a stand there, trimmed some lanes and left it alone for a week. I finally hunted this stand for the first time on the evening of Dec. 1 and saw 10 does early. They eventually headed out and went into the neighbors corn field. Right before sunset I saw this beautiful non-typical buck coming over the horizon headed my way. I knew he spent some time in the area as I had a couple pictures of him on my DeerCams both this year and last. I also have both of his sheds from last year that had some broken tines but still scored about 172. I nervously watched him at around 40 yards behind some branches for almost 15 minutes before he walked into a shooting lane. The shot was a perfect double-lung broadside shot and he went less than 75 yards before dropping within sight of my stand. Tentative green score is around 204 gross and 198 net Non-typical.

Equipment used: Bowtech Patriot at 63#, Easton Carbon arrows tipped with Muzzy 100 3 blades. Copper John Dead nuts sight, a Trophy Taker drop away rest, 2 Sims enhancers, (one front and one on the back), and a TRU Tornada release attached to a string loop. Scent Shield 3D leafy carbon suit and rubber boots also helped to control odors

deer11.jpg

Boyd, Congratulations on that super buck! I think some of my good luck is rubbing off on you guys over at Rick's shop. Hope to get over some time to get a look at this years crop. Good Job. JB

Gunrunr,

What a great buck!

Thanks for sharing your story and photo's. To have caught him on film and have some of his sheds shows your dedication.

Congrats!

TLH

Awesome buck. Would you post one of the camtrakker pics -- it would be cool to see what he was like on the hoof.

Funny how those spots we pass right on by are usually better than the ones we hunt all the time.
beerchug.gif

Jeez,

That deer could've just stayed still when danger lurked and hide right under the forest on its head!

Way to go!

The only bad part now is that you may only be able to top it, on antler size, by shooting a bull elk!

Great shot and congratulations!

Raven....

Nice buck Boyd, maybe if I buy one of those BowTech bows from you, you'll let me sit in your old spot, next year.

Ryan

THAT IS A BEAUTY, IT IS HARD TO BEAT A IOWA WHITETAIL AND THAT IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WALL TO HANG IT ON YOU CAN HANG IT ON ONE OF MINE.

CONGRATS ON THE SEASON

Great job Boyd!!!!!!! Paul told me it was big, however, that was an understatement........ That drop tine is a lot larger than last years sheds...... Once again, congrats........ Paul may need to take some notes!!!!!!!

Hey Gunrunr ...... I mean 'Big Ten' or whatever you prefer to be called........ if I am not mistaken, I think I just saw your picture on another website talking about how "stupid we are getting" on this iowawhitetail site and that you are "done with" us....... it takes a lot of nerve to flash your pictures on this website and then talk negative about us on another....... please correct me if I am wrong?!?!
flaming.gif

Top Bottom