Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Classic?

I have never been to the deer classic before. How "big of a buck" should you have to enter into the contests they have. I got a nice deer this year but it's a 4 hour drive to get to D.M. Just looking for some info from anyone who's enter or been there before.

If you're still wondering about entering your buck into the classics... Here is just a little taste of the the competetion during the 2002 classics. Personally, I would encourage you to enter your buck. So what if you don't place, its always nice to see what Iowa has to offer.

SHOTGUN TYPICAL

1st Place -- 187 1/8 Mike Feehan
2nd Place -- 183 5/8 Charles Callaway
3rd Place -- 177 0/8 Mike Herrick
4th Place -- 176 7/8 Jay Jensen
5th Place -- 173 2/8 Brent Hutchings

SHOTGUN NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 214 1/8 Doug Farrell
2nd Place -- 210 7/8 Jack Pershy
3rd Place -- 202 4/8 Rod Frank
4th Place -- 202 2/8 Matt Wilson
5th Place -- 198 0/8 Jesse Rebling

ARCHERY TYPICAL

1st Place -- 177 1/8 Jeff Tiefenthaler
2nd Place -- 174 7/8 Scott Geater
3rd Place -- 172 0/8 Jerry Newman
4th Place -- 170 5/8 Rhett Henderson
5th Place -- 167 1/8 Rudy (Brian) Morgan

ARCHERY NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 228 1/8 Jerry Wells
2nd Place -- 211 0/8 Dan Capper
3rd Place -- 195 0/8 Brian Moore
4th Place -- 191 6/8 Robert McCoy
5th Place -- 191 3/8 Brent Thie

MUZZLELOADER TYPICAL

1st Place -- 184 1/8 Ryan Scott
2nd Place -- 160 4/8 Jim Lindsey
3rd Place -- 154 7/8 Bobbi Boze

MUZZLELOADER NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 191 1/8 Ryan Beeson
2nd Place -- 188 5/8 Richard Floss
3rd Place -- 164 5/8 James Winnett

HANDGUN TYPICAL

1st Place -- 156 6/8 Robert Bryan
2nd Place -- 139 1/8 David Wilson
3rd Place -- 115 3/8 Gary Hoffman

HANDGUN NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 157 1/8 Al Bunger

YOUTH TYPICAL

1st Place -- 170 6/8 Tiffany Decker
2nd Place -- 161 1/8 Jonathon Geisinger
3rd Place -- 155 7/8 Matt Wenke

YOUTH NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 166 6/8 Corbin Millard
2nd Place -- 158 6/8 Todd Ketcham
3rd Place -- 119 6/8 Cody Vickers

HISTORICAL TYPICAL

1st Place -- 181 0/8 Jon Behrle
2nd Place -- 173 2/8 Jon Behrle
3rd Place -- 171 4/8 Justin Cox

HISTORICAL NON-TYPICAL

1st Place -- 184 0/8 Gary Puls
2nd Place -- 180 2/8 Andrew Warren
3rd Place -- 177 1/8 Brian Follmann

Waukon1-
I shot a 181" gross and 170 5/8 net ten point typical last year or should i say in '01. He ended up placing 4th in the archery typ. class. they award the top 5 with trophies in a awards ceramony on the last day. if i remember correctly 1st was 177 and fifth was 167 and something. Heck go to the iowadeerclassic.com. Browse around and it will give you the scores,names, county,and class of the deer that were shot.
Even if you would'nt make the top 5 its still worth the drive. Its a whitetails fanantics paradise!

Rhett Henderson

Hey guys,

Just because you didn't shoot the biggest deer in the state, don't think you shouldn't bring your deer to the classic. The top prizes are great, but we score over 400 heads a year with most guys and gals just wanting to share their trophys with other hunters that have the same passions as we do. I've ran the Big Buck contest there for a few years now and can tell you we have scored everything from a kids first buck , to some of the biggest bucks in the country.....They are all handled in the same professional way by the scorers, who by the way are some of the best in the country. Make sure any of you that attend come down to the scorer's area and introduce yourself, I'll take you thru the scorers area and talk horns.
Bruce Wohlers
wavey.gif

what's it cost to get them scored ? i had a pretty decent year and harvested 2 nice bucks. what's the cost to get in each day also??

R Archer thanks for the info. I had visited the cite that had those scores posted. It sounds like it is worth going no matter what size your deer is or even if you got skunked. Iowa Bruce, can you explain if there is anything I need to do before I get there or what I do when I get there? I'll introduce myself, just make sure your wearing a big name tag! Thanks everyone for the info. Hope to meet and see you in 2 months

If you guys ordered an iowawhitetail t-shirt, wear it to the classic. Look for me there. I'll be the guy with the "Budweiser Girls" hanging all over me! Oh, and don't forget to say Hello to my buddy "Headgear", he'll be the one standing around whimpering about being left out or something like that.
grin.gif

Oh this is great! I just happened to lock in my vacation time for the next three months and the first three days of my vacation happen to fall in place with the Iowa Deer Classic! Being a newbie here I'll have to get an Iowa Whitetail t-shirt and wear it in hopes to bump into a few more "seasoned" members. This state is great.
grin.gif

ILL BE WEARING MY NEW BLACK SHIRT AND SET UP AT A CUSTOMERS BOOTH 612 FOR THE CLASSIC... MY FIRST TRIP TO THIS ONE--BUT FROM WHAT IVE SEEN UP IN THIS PART OF THE STATE, ANY DEER HUNTER IN THE STATE HAD BETTER BE THERE..TO WALK INTO ONE TAXIDERMY SHOP AND SEE A DOZEN 160-190'' RACKS IS ONLY AN INDICATOR OF WHAT IS TO BE SEEN AT THIS YEARS CLASSIC.BRING YOUR CAMERAS AND EXTRA FILM THIS YEAR...SEE YA AT THE SHOW. M350 OUT

He's the skinny,

For $15 you get a 3 day pass to the show and get your buck scored. Just come in the main entrance get your ticket and you will see the scorers area. Nothing to it. We display most of the deer on the main floor next to the semimar rooms. Should be a bunch of fun!! See you there.

Just my luck, NCAA DIII National Wrestling Tourney is that weekend in Ohio. Hopefully Coe will have a large contingent going so thats where I'll be. Actually its kind of a good problem. What ever happens I'll have a super weekend.
beerchug.gif

The "CRANKEM" 'Bonker

Ever heard of a spladel (splydal?).
icon94.gif

Fish,

"Spladel" as in what I do in the wrestling room to Freshman kids that think they have me taken down.
smile.gif

The Spladel

Go Hawks! Going to KC myself ( March 20-22, 2003 )and watching some Division I wrestling. Have a friend and fellow coach that wrestled for Coe though.

Can you tell were from Iowa?

TLH

so that $15 gives you full access for the 3 days and you get your deer scored? does it cost extra to get other heads scored? what if you're only planning on being there 1 day, does it still cost $15 to get in even if you aren't going to get a head scored?

TLH:

There is a kid at Coe who wrestled for Marion that took first at Menlo Park CA tourney just before Christmas. He beat three guys IN A ROW with the Spladel. He beat the top ranked guy in the nation, finally got him in OT with a pin from the bottom position. His name is Kenny Ware and he is just a hoot to watch. My wife's son took third at 125. Would have been a fantastic trip if I hadn't eaten bad fish. I should change my sign on to Fishbarfer.

The 'Bonker

One day entry is $9
For more info call 1-800-243-4111
9-5 CST

Wow! Except for Rackaddict, thanks for all the replys. Sounds like it is going to be a great Classic. See ya there!

You two are funny
smile.gif

Hey Jon let me know when you get the check for the Iowa Whitetail t-shirts, sent it yesterday - maybe the day before, sorry an over 40 day.

Anyway, it should be a great show! APH and I will try to meet up one of the days or nights.Since we don't have a booth we'll probably hang around Old Bucks booth a lot.

See you then!

TLH

Top Bottom