Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ready To Burn!?!

FarmlandQDM

We have 6 grassland burns, 7 timberland burns, and 3 foodplot burns to do this year ranging in size from 1/2 acre up to about 15 acres. We'll be burning from March through sometime in June.

Our grand finale will be a 140 acre grassland burn on our neighbors property though ... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

How many of you are planning to do some prescribed burning this year and what will you be burning?

I have about 30 some acres of prairie to burn.

I will be burning to encourage grasses so I will burn perhaps in May depending on weather.

Not planning any timber burns..but it could happen.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I am going to burn about 2 1/2 acres on my place this year including the cat tails on the pond....gets the flames up and going when they go.

I am going to disk some breaks and burn off three seperate areas that I want to plant one acre food plots on. I would also like to try a timber burn but am a little worried about how I would keep it under control?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would also like to try a timber burn but am a little worried about how I would keep it under control? </div></div>

With good planning, forethought, and usually minimal fireline prep it is easier than most people think.

We're burning off 85 acres of brome. We've been waiting for this day since we bought the land 4 years ago. We had it sprayed last fall but the person doing the planting said we should burn as well since we didn't mow before spraying. We have a lot of organic material left on top.

What's an average price per acre for a burn? The 85 aces are spread over 5 fields.

We'll be planting 65 acres in swtichgrass this spring.

Tim

I'd love to do a timber burn this year...need to find someone to do it though...and then my first native grassland burn is set for 2008...can't wait to see the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What's an average price per acre for a burn? </div></div>

I have heard prices from $30/acre up to $100/acre.

My Pheasants Forever chapter will do burns for landowners in our local area ... we charge $350 per burn plus $30/acre. Timber burns are priced depending on the difficulty of the burn.

Top Bottom