Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut question

lostonetoo

Hi all,

I was wondering when do most of you think the rut will kick off this year in Iowa? I'll be hunting near Tama durning the bow season, and just trying to set my dates to hunt.

Thanks for the help

I have heard it will be a little earlier this year around the last weekend in October. Its a great time to be in the woods around Oct. 25th to Nov. 15th.

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on hunting the 16 Nov to the 24th. Hope they are still chacing does around then. No one is hunting the land that I have promission to hunt, so I hope all goes well. I sent my trail cams to my buddy who is putting them out this weekend and will stay out until I get there. Only time will tell.

I've heard talk of an early rut this year as well. Never heard any reasoning behind any of it. Anybody got any explanation as to why they think it will be an early rut??

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard talk of an early rut this year as well. Never heard any reasoning behind any of it. Anybody got any explanation as to why they think it will be an early rut??

[/ QUOTE ]

Early full moon I believe...

its gonna be between the last weekend of October and the third weekend of November.....
same as every year...
evil.gif

There is a new moon on November 9th. That might create a more intense rut around that date. This might be due to less light causing more does to go into heat around the same time. The diminishing moonlight could create an earlier rut. Just someones theory but everyone should pay attention this year and see if there is any merit in the theory.

[ QUOTE ]
its gonna be between the last weekend of October and the third weekend of November.....
same as every year...

[/ QUOTE ]

Knew someone would do this...and you're right.

I don't have 3wks of vacation so I'm opting for the early rut this year. First week of November.

My opinion is that breeding in Iowa takes place at basically the same time each year. Otherwise fawn drop dates would vary from year to year.

I also think daytime buck activity is impacted by cool weather and moon phase. Any time the weather cools down from mid-October through late November is a good time to be in the woods.

I think a full moon spreads deer activity out during the whole day while a dark moon increases morning and evening activity.

If I could hunt only a few days and couldn't base it on temperatures I'd go for Nov 7-14.

Old Buck

Old Buck is right. The rut is generally controlled by photoperiod, or the amount of daylight. The moon plays a role in the moverment of the deer on a given day. Full moon generally means more movement at night versus during the day. A buck is capable of breeding as soon as he goes to hard horn but it takes some time for the testosterone to build up and really get him going. We tend to see good activity from Halloween on because the bucks are ready and the does are almost ready. Then the "lockdown" period when bucks are with receptive does. Followed by another search period when the bucks are once again looking but fewer does are available. From late October to late November the one thing to remember is that the chances are good and can change in a moments notice so get in the tree!!

there is a doe somewhere out there in our areas right now thats ready. this weekend there will be more and even more the weekend after. i'd say its really going to start this weekend and peak the weekend after.

I've read that the rut usually peaks to a frenzy 7 to 10 days after the 2nd full moon after the fall equanox. That would make it btween November 2nd & 9th for the best days this year if that holds true? I'd still be out all day at that time no matter what phase was. I do believe it has more to do with photoperiodism also but the moon may play a role too.

Top Bottom