Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

killing Black Locust

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Has anybody had first hand experience with riding your land of Black Locust. We had the forester come out and look over our land and little did we know about the invasion of Black Locust. He told us there was this little clump of trees near the road and we needed to get rid of it because it was Black Locust and would invade on the other timber stands. Then we broke the news to him that he only seen about a fifth of the Black Locust collonies.

Is this stuff hard to kill and how has anybody gone about it? Burns maybe? The trees aren't very large, maybe 4" in diameter

Locust hates Tordon. Whenever you cut one make sure to spray the stump. It will sprout everywhere off of the roots if you don't. Not sure what to use on trees that size other than cut them.

I agree with the fact that you better spray them or they will take off. We actually have cut them on purpose in certain areas that are set up as bedding areas. It seems to work but does anybody else have any thoughts on black locust stands for bedding purposes only?? Can't seem to find good "hunter" input.

Thanks, we'll get some Tordon and cut them, the forester told us about the sucker sprout that come from their roots sometimes a good ways away from the stump. They make good cover but spread real bad and are hard to kill from what we are told, I guess my thought is we will find something else to replace it.

As I recall Tordon 22K is a restricted pesticide. I think you'll need a private applicators license to but it. Unless it has changed in the past few years.

Also, be carefull with it. It stays in the ground forever and translocates very easily. A few years ago I sprayed an MFR bush with a strong solution of 22K, I think I had 2oz to the gallon and it killed the tree it was next to.

You maybe better off with Tordon RTU for cut stump applications. I've heard of mixing diesel fuel with it. I don't recall why or how much but it is suppoed to get a better kill. And you don't have to worry so much about over spraying.

The 'Bonker

I had good luck with Tordon RTU cut stump with smaller locusts(honey and black) without using anything mixed in...but I had small trees in my prairie that I used it on...less then 2 inch diameter. For slightly bigger trees that I didn't want to get under and get grabbed and poked, I had good success with a 1.5% application to the foliage using crossbow in summer. I have extra tordon 22K that I know I won't use....probably 2 gallons left or more from this past year. I bought it for thistle control and it really killed more than I wanted and I think my thistle is under control now. If you are interested, PM me and you can have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had good luck with Tordon RTU cut stump with smaller locusts(honey and black) without using anything mixed in...but I had small trees in my prairie that I used it on...less then 2 inch diameter. For slightly bigger trees that I didn't want to get under and get grabbed and poked, I had good success with a 1.5% application to the foliage using crossbow in summer. I have extra tordon 22K that I know I won't use....probably 2 gallons left or more from this past year. I bought it for thistle control and it really killed more than I wanted and I think my thistle is under control now. If you are interested, PM me and you can have it. </div></div>

Are you sure its Tordon 22K? Last gallon I bought was over $100.00. I'd be careful about giving away a restriced use pesticide. If you are audited and you don't have records for two gallons of a resticted use pesticide the fine could be a whopper.

The 'Bonker

I have used diesel fuel and salt to treat the stump. Don't know how environmentally sound it is , but it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can Crossbow be used for stump application?</div></div>

I'm not sure if it is labled for that application, but I've used it with good results, but it was in the summer with plenty of sap flow. Not sure if it would work in the winter with dormant stumps.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom