Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My thoughts on leasing

Very well said and how very true. One landowner is in a coffee shop and tells another how he just leased his land to a hunter and then this guy decides to do it too. It just escalates.

I seen this thread last night, it only had a couple replies. Thought to myself.... it's just sitting here smouldering, someone will be here soon to throw the gas on it. I wasn't expecting rocket fuel.

Poof! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Well stated Chris! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The commercialization of hunting is really sad...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sureshot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion leasing land is ONE of the first signs that we here in Iowa are beginning to become the next Illinois. I dont' care what anyone says, when land starts being leased (hunting ground), land prices will go up. It's all about supply and demand! When land gets leased, it is off limits to everyone else! The more land that gets leased, the more that is off limits. With limited amounts of public ground, this causes a problem here in Iowa, and causes a demand for more hunting ground, so THE PRICE GETS JACKED UP!

Now, since land prices are up, the amount of leased ground goes up even more! But guess what?

Farmer Smith is going to realize this, and the next thing he will do is jack-up the price of the lease. Farmers in my part of the state have already realized this. Last year I lost a farm that I have bow hunted my whole life due to leasing. This farm was leased TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER (A lawyer from Des Moines got it). This, however, is only the beginning. There are now entire websites, where farmers can place their ground on the internet and people bid to lease it, like E-bay!

Why can't we all just realize that if nobody leased, there would be endless amounts of land we could hunt! All it took twenty years ago was a knock on the door, and handshake, and your in as long as you don't F**K it up!

I am going to get a lot of criticism for this statement, but I don't care. GREED is the driving force behind leasing hunting ground. "I want it all to myself." "I want to have privacy." "I want to have a place where I dont' have to worry about other hunters!" Well guess what!?! Don't get used to that for very long, because as this ground crisis continues, you yourself will be outbid on that same property that was "your own", and you will be left without your privacy, without your "own piece of leased heaven", thinking "Damn, I wish hunting was like it was in the good ol'days!"

I myself will never, ever lease ground. Maybe I am too "old school", but I feel that anyone in this state can find a great place to hunt WITHOUT PAYIING. We are in Iowa people! I am certain that you can find a great place to hunt without putting a dent in your pocket book, and shutting someone else out! There are public pieces that I shed hunt every year where I find great sheds! HARDLY ANYONE HUNTS THERE, except during shotgun season. The point I am trying to make is that big bucks are out there, get off your A$$ and find them. You don't have to lease.

Sorry for rambling, and i'm not trying to offend anyone, but those are my opinions! Maybe in twenty years those of you who lease will have a different opinion on this issue!
</div></div>

WOW!!! From reading this, I guess, I must have to go clear to the other side of the coin! I guess if those who lease are ruining hunting, then I guess those who own land are doing the same?

If I don't have 600,000 to by land, but want the right to manage and hunt private ground I have no option but to lease. Yes, there are places where you can talk to people and get on for free, and trust me I tried. But sorry folks, I work 7 days a week and have about 10 hours of free time(besides sleeping)in the "Off season". Guess I would rather spend 1500 bucks and have my security then to spend that time begging for a place to hunt!

May of the people who say they would never lease, are the same that think the ground the hunt for free(public or Private) is their own ground. Well guess what it is not! I have been burned many times by doing a ton of work and then having a farmer let a bunch of people on to thin out deer!

Hey wait, isn't labor a form of payment? Guess everyone who is helping out around the farm is basically leasing as well!!! SHAME ON ALL OF YOU TOO!!!!!

Not to take a shot at you Hardcore, but I don't have the money to Buy big diamonds, or expensive beds, or expensive land, but I do have a passion for hunting, and I choose to lease so that my passion can remain! I will have to disagree with you 100 % on the fact that leasing is what is ruining hunting! Want to know what is ruining hunting in my opinion? Trophies!!!! Guess what, if know one got on a website and bragged about their kills then maybe it wouldn't be so bad! Maybe everyone wouldn't be leasing or buying up ground!

Maybe hunting shows, promoting products, states and animals, are killing hunting!
Here it is plain and simple(IMO) hunting is a huge industry and it moving a certain way! You can do what you can to be a part, or turn in your cards! Hunting is becoming no different than farming! Think of the number of people who used to make a living off farming 40, 80, 240, 400 acres! How many of those people are still making it today!

Well bash if you want, I respect others opinions, and I apologize for evening commenting, although, I am aware that no of this was a personal attack on me, I took it that way! I guess from reading all this, I took it as, I lease, therefore, I am a part of the problem, and that, my friends, is Horse $&*^!!!!

Okay, sorry again, I am out of this one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The commercialization of hunting is really sad... </div></div>

Well, that's the understatement of the year....and that's all I have to say about that.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

It all comes down to the fact that money talks and BS walks boys. This isn't the 70's, 80's, or 90's......What we're experiencing now is an entirly new generation of deer hunting. It's not just deer hunting when you really think about it though, it comes in many different forms. Highways filled with 40,000 dollar SUV's, neighborhoods full of 300,000 dollar houses.......average people are making much more money now then they have in the past, and these average people are part of the hunting community. While I don't enjoy seeing different properties leased, I can also understand why a resident would want to do it. Change is inevitable, although most of us aren't going to welcome it. I'll be the first to call myself the "pot" and the "kettle"........while I don't have a problem with residents leasing ground, I'd never want to see an out-of-state Outfitter get ahold of it. There's a fine line in my opinion.....one's there to make money, while the other is there to secure himself and his family a place to hunt in the future. Things are going to change, you can't stop it........all you can do is try and slow it down a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I seen this thread last night, it only had a couple replies. Thought to myself.... it's just sitting here smouldering, someone will be here soon to throw the gas on it. I wasn't expecting rocket fuel.
</div></div>
I thought the same thing. I wanted to speak up but was afraid some may think less of me. However I decided I don't think less of anyone based on their opinion, if they think less of me...so be it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I've stewed on this topic and thread all hr and came to this conclusion. If one of the guys who owns land i hunt asked for $, I'd decide $$ means more to them than I as a person do and like stated, wouldn't give them a red cent despite how close we were. In fact, putting money ahead of friendship and personal relationships would speak volumes to me and we wouldn't likely be friemds anymore. NO.....I don't expect everything for nothing, just kind of like living in a part of the world where the almighty dollar doesn't speak louder than companionship.

One thing is for sure..., It sucks that leasing is here to stay.

Fortunately I don't have to lease yet!

If I did, what is the going rate for block timber, in say, Monroe Co. limited access with no roads going through with water source such as creek/river, ponds etc... No crop, just timber. Just wondering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I seen this thread last night, it only had a couple replies. Thought to myself.... it's just sitting here smouldering, someone will be here soon to throw the gas on it. I wasn't expecting rocket fuel.

Poof! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Nitro methane

BOOM!!!!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What we're experiencing now is an entirly new generation of deer hunting. It's not just deer hunting when you really think about it though, it comes in many different forms. Highways filled with 40,000 dollar SUV's, neighborhoods full of 300,000 dollar houses.......average people are making much more money now then they have in the past, and these average people are part of the hunting community.</div></div>

That statement says a lot. The really sad thing is our nations savings rate still sucks compared to many other nations in the world. Our generation spends tons of money on "recreational activities". AAU sports teams for little Joey traveling hundreds of miles each weekend, spring break trips for college kids (never have figured out what parent would fork over the cash for that one), $25,000 cars sitting in high school parking lots, and don't even get me started on what some people pay to care for their pets (WOW). Society is just much different than what it was 10-15-20 years ago.

As far as leasing goes, I will keep my opinions to myself. I do believe that the "glory days" of deer hunting for the common man are, for the most part, probably behind us.

I can tell what some of the main topics of conversation will be this weekend during the show /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

People say that hunters are decreasing.....I don't see it. At least in the areas I hunt.

From my view, during bow season I believe hunter #'s have increased. It use to be.... even as little as ~10-15 years ago, you could access most ground fairly easily during bow season. The reason being was that it took some time to hone your skills as an archer. You actually had to dedicate some time to the sport to become proficient at it. Most bowhunters (who were few)would stay after it all year round to keep that edge. As technology has improved it has basically eliminated the learning curve that was associated with becoming a good archer. Now JOE-local can snowmobile all winter, fish all spring, play softball/fish all summer, and about a week before opener he is able to grab his Matthews and shoot 3 inch circles at 20 yards.

End result, many more guys find that they are able to kill animals with their archery gear. I think in the past it was too hard to achieve success consistantly...which in turn caused guys who took up bowhunting to become frustrated more easily and give up the sport leaving mostly the die-hards in the field. Now it seems as if anyone can learn to shoot well in about a week.

I am not a big fan of leasing and have never taken part in it. I will go as far as to say that I hate leasing and long for the days of old when I didn't even see trespassing signs, but those days are gone. It would be pretty hard for me to say I will NEVER do it. My ground has been cut in half about every 5 years and I have very little left compared to the past. I still have been able to knock on doors and gain new permission, but it is getting much harder.

Back to my original point.

I see bowhunter #'s as being on a on a bell curve. Right now I think we are approaching the top of that curve. However, as access continues to shrink we eventually go over the crest and slide down the right side of the curve. It will be sad. And as others have said, I feel for those with less resources than I. I have not put up cash to access whitetail ground yet, but eventually you may have no choice.

Someone above said big bucks are still out there to be had on ground you don't have to pay to play on. I agree, but those times are fading fast. I don't like it, but that is how it is.

I hope I am not forced into this for a while. Glad we have kept this civil.

Then quit whining about nonresidents coming here and hunting and buying and leasing up land. You have told them that it is OK to do so, since you lease yourself. Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? Don't you like to go to out west and elk hunt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad we have kept this civil. </div></div>

Yes, and please no one take this personal. It is a thread on an internet message board.

Nobody is going to win this argument because it has gotten too big and has involved too many people to reverse it.

Just as many people have said; I understand it, but will never do it. And to make this as short and simple as I possibly can, all of you that say you don't have the money to buy ground.... well, sooner or later, you won't have the money to lease it either. It will all eventually go to the highest bidder! If you think you are leasing ground from a friend who will let you lease it forever, think again, because as soon as you committed to paying, he realized he can get more.

God bless America, GREED

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">additionally, if you own land you ought not have an opinion on this topic as it doesnt apply to you!</div></div>

I own land, and I worked my A$$ off to buy it.

I care deeply for hunting, and I care deeply for the opportunities for furture generations to enjoy hunting as I have.

And I do have an opinion on leasing...

That is like saying that I shouldn't care if they had unlimited NR tags available in Iowa.

I mean really, how would that effect me???

It's the big picture that I'm concerned about...plenty of other states have already experienced the pain.

Nothing personal Thomas, you can buy me a beer at the Classic! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody is going to win this argument because it has gotten too big and has involved too many people to reverse it.

Just as many people have said; I understand it, but will never do it. And to make this as short and simple as I possibly can, all of you that say you don't have the money to buy ground.... well, sooner or later, you won't have the money to lease it either. It will all eventually go to the highest bidder! If you think you are leasing ground from a friend who will let you lease it forever, think again, because as soon as you committed to paying, he realized he can get more.

God bless America, GREED </div></div>
BINGO!!!!!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee. How true is this statement???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy?
</div></div>

Probably because it is still us residents that are paying all the local taxes, buying all the local gas, groceries and supplies from our state and keeping the local deer herd in check. We should be given the first preference over a non-resident at any time.

If other states want to limit Iowa residents and charge more I can wait for my draw or until I save up. I have plenty to do in the mean time.

"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

Understand what you are saying HCH, but think thats another thread.

Top Bottom