Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My thoughts on leasing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy?
</div></div>

We should be given the first preference over a non-resident at any time.
</div></div>Didn't know you weren't? Resident IA hunters denied tags??

Guys, you can complain about leasing all you want; when it comes, and it's coming, you'll lease OR you'll find a new hobby. BTW, what's the difference b/t leasing and buying when it comes to access? Either way you're making land off limits to others. But many of you are against leasing, but for buying. Doesn't make sense to me. Again I HATE leasing, but I want a place to hunt! Tha4's statement earlier about residents leasing and hunting all year rather than just a couple trips by a non-res. makes a lot of sense to me.

Oops, Tha4, you beat me to the point, guess I better read all the posts before I type.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

Understand what you are saying HCH, but think thats another thread.
</div></div>Yep. Just seems like I read a lot on here about nonresidents being cussed for leasing land and the guys that cuss I find out are leasing land in IA themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunting is changing guys, if you wont ever lease and cuss those who lease and buy, YOU will eventually be the ones without a place to hunt.....

dont come asking me for permission! </div></div>

THA4....why would I ask you for permission.....I have seen the deer you kill! Sorry, but no thanks /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif J/K with ya!

In all seriousness though, it's great that we can debate about issues like this, without making it too personal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

</div></div>

It's called "checks and balances"........The fact that Iowa doesn't allow over the counter tags is the only reason we're having this discussion in the first place. You can poke and pry all you want HCH, fact of the matter is you'll still have to apply for a tag to come back here and hunt.......that's not going to change. Everyone seems to want what Iowa has, fortunately for us we've fought a little harder than some other states have. Don't let this discussion put a bad taste in your mouth for other residents.........we just need to make sure that folks like HCH don't ever run for office. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

</div></div>Yep. Just seems like I read a lot on here about nonresidents being cussed for leasing land and the guys that cuss I find out are leasing land in IA themselves. </div></div>

Two totally different agendas.......Money vs. Heritage

There are probably those who will disagree with me, but there are landowners out there that do let hunters on w/o a price. It may not be the best land, but it is a place to hunt. For the farmers that do charge, can you really blame them for trying to make an extra few dollars?

For the price that most farmers charge to lease land, you can make payments on a purchase of your own. Set up a savings account or CD, plunk 100 bucks or so into that account every paycheck you get for 5 years, find 40 or 80 acres, make a down payment, enroll it in CRP, and make the payments on the rest.

I don't like leasing either, but its just the way things are now and we can't do anything about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There's a fine line in my opinion.....one's there to make money, while the other is there to secure himself and his family a place to hunt in the future. Things are going to change, you can't stop it........all you can do is try and slow it down a little. </div></div>

This is a VERY important point that I agree with completely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

</div></div>

It's called "checks and balances"........The fact that Iowa doesn't allow over the counter tags is the only reason we're having this discussion in the first place. You can poke and pry all you want HCH, fact of the matter is you'll still have to apply for a tag to come back here and hunt.......that's not going to change. Everyone seems to want what Iowa has, fortunately for us we've fought a little harder than some other states have. Don't let this discussion put a bad taste in your mouth for other residents.........we just need to make sure that folks like HCH don't ever run for office. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
A friend from MN coming to hunt with his buddy in IA will ruin IA deer hunting???? Ridiculous. I can't see how CO hunting has been ruined; more elk than anywhere in the world. I can buy an over the counter bow elk tag the day of my hunt. NM has the biggest elk in the world and has a lottery for tags. 80% to residents and 20% to nonresidents. Non resident elk hunters in NM aren't ruining anything. Sell only so many over the counter tags or lottery; same deal, different wording. You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. Two species of big game animals in IA to hunt gets old and you may want to broaden your horizens. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif BTW, the 1st thing I would do in IA is get rid of the sheriff being God in each of the 99 counties and determining who gets to carry a concealed handgun. The whole state could carry with a clean record under my governing. I would also decrimanalize tresspassing on leased hunting land. It would be a slap on the wrist so that leasing was a bad idea in the state. Still a bad deal to have me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I have to apply to hunt New Mexico? </div></div>Yep, I do too. 80% of the tags to residents and 20% to nonrsidents. Deadline is April 9th.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who has a magazine subscription?
who has hunting videos?
who buys hunting books?
who buys big name gear, Bows, Guns, calls etc.????
who drives a Chevy, Ford, Toyota pickup?
who has a 4-wheeler?
who buys seed for food plots?
who owns equipment for setting up food plots?
</div></div>

You have a point.

Unfortunately some purchases are tough to avoid though. Me personally, I will NEVER buy another hunting video from guys like H.S., Drury, etc...haven't in quite a few years. Magazines, I'm now selective in that also...Traditional Bowhunter and Iowa Conservationist, that's it.
Gene Wensel's "Come November" is the last "hunting" book I've bought, I loved the chapter where he described his loath for Iowa, it's residents, and how he thinks everyone who doesn't lease is freeloader. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
As for the 4 wheeler, I pride myself in working hard and only use the quads God gave me.
My point is, you can narrow down your purchases to somewhat avoid the products that promote the "exteme commercialization".

I'm sure you think I'm extreme, but that's fine by me. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyhow, when I quoted Ghost, I was more so relating to the fact that people are eventually going to "have" to pay for the priveledge to hunt, resulting from other people's actions. Bottom line is many will give up just for that reason, hell we are already seeing it. If you start asking around, you find lots of average hunters who hung up their guns because they lost there spots. There is a difference though, people on this site aren't your average hunters, they will find a way. It's the others I really feel bad for! People like my Grandpa, my Dad and brothers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are probably those who will disagree with me, but there are landowners out there that do let hunters on w/o a price. It may not be the best land, but it is a place to hunt. For the farmers that do charge, can you really blame them for trying to make an extra few dollars?

For the price that most farmers charge to lease land, you can make payments on a purchase of your own. Set up a savings account or CD, plunk 100 bucks or so into that account every paycheck you get for 5 years, find 40 or 80 acres, make a down payment, enroll it in CRP, and make the payments on the rest.

I don't like leasing either, but its just the way things are now and we can't do anything about it. </div></div>

Save, save, save.........and pretty much give up all the extra stuff you do that costs money. It's really hard to save up enough for a down payment, you've got to have the patience and persistence to keep from blowing the money you've saved up on something else. Don't buy a castle for your wife and then expect to have enough left over each month for another mortgage payment, cause it won't work. Don't buy a 30 thousand dollar boat, or a 40 thousand dollar truck.......get buy with what you can and put the rest in the bank. Instead of making plans for your tax return 4 months in advance, don't think about it til' it comes and then put it away. Seems pretty hopeless when you first start, and that's what keeps most from doing it, but if you keep at it eventually it'll happen for you. You can't just "want" some land though, you've got to "WANT" some of your own ground. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Why shouldn't a nonresident friend be allowed to come here and buy an over the counter tag and hunt public land or a friends' farm with his resident buddy? "

</div></div>

It's called "checks and balances"........The fact that Iowa doesn't allow over the counter tags is the only reason we're having this discussion in the first place. You can poke and pry all you want HCH, fact of the matter is you'll still have to apply for a tag to come back here and hunt.......that's not going to change. Everyone seems to want what Iowa has, fortunately for us we've fought a little harder than some other states have. Don't let this discussion put a bad taste in your mouth for other residents.........we just need to make sure that folks like HCH don't ever run for office. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
. You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. </div></div>

I won't be pissed.........I promise. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Still a bad deal to have me? </div></div>

That's debatable and probably a post in itself /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif J/K....

What is the difference in available public land acres between Iowa and states such as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. </div></div>

Jesus Don you are all over the map with this post...

Anyway when I apply for out of state big game or whitetail, I know the rules when I apply and don't bitch about it because I don't live there. Because I used to live in St. Paul I am not upset to pay non-resident fees up there to fish. If they change it, fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are probably those who will disagree with me, but there are landowners out there that do let hunters on w/o a price. It may not be the best land, but it is a place to hunt. For the farmers that do charge, can you really blame them for trying to make an extra few dollars?

I don't like leasing either, but its just the way things are now and we can't do anything about it. </div></div>

Save, save, save.........and pretty much give up all the extra stuff you do that costs money. It's really hard to save up enough for a down payment, you've got to have the patience and persistence to keep from blowing the money you've saved up on something else. Don't buy a castle for your wife and then expect to have enough left over each month for another mortgage payment, cause it won't work. Don't buy a 30 thousand dollar boat, or a 40 thousand dollar truck.......get buy with what you can and put the rest in the bank. Instead of making plans for your tax return 4 months in advance, don't think about it til' it comes and then put it away. Seems pretty hopeless when you first start, and that's what keeps most from doing it, but if you keep at it eventually it'll happen for you. You can't just "want" some land though, you've got to "WANT" some of your own ground. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

=0) Critr,, I like my boat!!! =0)LOL and in a couple of years It will be one hell of a down payment on land!

I agree and it does take time and it does take savings, all of which I am doing, but honestly, there are a lot of people out there who will never be able to put away the kinds of dollars it costs to own land! Not everyone has the income to do so!

Only thing I question is SE Slayer, my lease payment runs me, lets say 1500 bucks, I talk to banks weekly, and have looked at many loans, 1500 bucks a year doesn't whiff the payment of land! Not even 20 acres!

But

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are probably those who will disagree with me, but there are landowners out there that do let hunters on w/o a price. It may not be the best land, but it is a place to hunt. For the farmers that do charge, can you really blame them for trying to make an extra few dollars?

Save, save, save.........and pretty much give up all the extra stuff you do that costs money. It's really hard to save up enough for a down payment, you've got to have the patience and persistence to keep from blowing the money you've saved up on something else. Don't buy a castle for your wife and then expect to have enough left over each month for another mortgage payment, cause it won't work. Don't buy a 30 thousand dollar boat, or a 40 thousand dollar truck.......get buy with what you can and put the rest in the bank. Instead of making plans for your tax return 4 months in advance, don't think about it til' it comes and then put it away. Seems pretty hopeless when you first start, and that's what keeps most from doing it, but if you keep at it eventually it'll happen for you. You can't just "want" some land though, you've got to "WANT" some of your own ground. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

=0) Critr,, I like my boat!!! =0)LOL and in a couple of years It will be one hell of a down payment on land!

I agree and it does take time and it does take savings, all of which I am doing, but honestly, there are a lot of people out there who will never be able to put away the kinds of dollars it costs to own land! Not everyone has the income to do so!

Only thing I question is SE Slayer, my lease payment runs me, lets say 1500 bucks, I talk to banks weekly, and have looked at many loans, 1500 bucks a year doesn't whiff the payment of land! Not even 20 acres!

But </div></div>

It will be a good down payment........I sold mine and used it for the same purpose. As far as the 1500 goes......nope, won't do ya much good on an annual basis.....triple it and you'll have something to work with in six or seven years. I have no issues with guys like you leasing land Andy.......if I didn't have my own I'd be doing the exact same thing.

For love of bone!!! Dam bone anyhow. No matter where you are that dam bone is gitt'n you in a jam. I almost wish there was no such thing as bone!!!

Top Bottom