Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My thoughts on leasing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all4s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For love of bone!!! Dam bone anyhow. No matter where you are that dam bone is gitt'n you in a jam. I almost wish there was no such thing as bone!!! </div></div>

Speakin of "Bones"........are we getting another viewing this year???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter </div></div> Still a bad deal to have me? [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's debatable and probably a post in itself /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif J/K....

What is the difference in available public land acres between Iowa and states such as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc...? </div></div>
270,000 public acres in IA
8.4 acres million BLM and 14.3 acres million USFS in CO. Total public hunting land 22.7 million acres
13 million acres BLM and 9 million USFS in NM. Total public hunting land 22 million acres

"HCH as president" -the thread!

That I would like to see....it would probably rival a TYP250 post for hits. No go take you meds Don! Just kidding. :')

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter </div></div> Still a bad deal to have me? </div></div>

That's debatable and probably a post in itself /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif J/K....

What is the difference in available public land acres between Iowa and states such as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc...? [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
8.4 acres million BLM and 14.3 acres million USFS in CO. Total public hunting land 22.7 million acres
13 million acres BLM and 9 million USFS in NM. Total public hunting land 22 million acres </div></div>

Hmmm.....roughly 80 or 90 to 1. Guess that's why land aquisiton is such a "touchy" subject round' here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all4s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For love of bone!!! Dam bone anyhow. No matter where you are that dam bone is gitt'n you in a jam. I almost wish there was no such thing as bone!!! </div></div>

Speakin of "Bones"........are we getting another viewing this year???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Are you interested in a lease? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all4s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all4s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For love of bone!!! Dam bone anyhow. No matter where you are that dam bone is gitt'n you in a jam. I almost wish there was no such thing as bone!!! </div></div>

Speakin of "Bones"........are we getting another viewing this year???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Are you interested in a lease? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Nah, but a video-taped segment from last years IBA get together on Friday night might just break 10 million hits on You-Tube. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. </div></div>

Jesus Don you are all over the map with this post...

Anyway when I apply for out of state big game or whitetail, I know the rules when I apply and don't bitch about it because I don't live there. Because I used to live in St. Paul I am not upset to pay non-resident fees up there to fish. If they change it, fine.

</div></div>Not bitching. I don't plan on going to IA to hunt for many years as I am booked up with the 11 big game species here, besides CO elk hunts. Just making comments about nonresident views by lease paying members on this site and how my belief is that nonresidents don't ruin hunting; LEASING DOES.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
all4s said:
For love of bone!!! Dam bone anyhow. No matter where you are that dam bone is gitt'n you in a jam. I almost wish there was no such thing as bone!!! </div></div>

Don't think it is all about bone at least for me.
Just a chance to be in the outdoors. Turkey hunting is coming next. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. </div></div>

Anyway when I apply for out of state big game or whitetail, I know the rules when I apply and don't bitch about it because I don't live there. Because I used to live in St. Paul I am not upset to pay non-resident fees up there to fish. If they change it, fine.

</div></div>Not bitching. I don't plan on going to IA to hunt for many years as I am booked up with the 11 big game species here, besides CO elk hunts. Just making comments about nonresident views by lease paying members on this site and how my belief is that nonresidents don't ruin hunting; LEASING DOES. </div></div>

That's the great thing about this site.......Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I can't keep from coming back to this thread, it's hotter than a pepper sprout. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm not taking any of it personally, I hope I'm not offending anyone. Anyways, I consider myself pretty serious when it comes to hunting whitetails so I'll answer these.

who has a magazine subscription? buy some off the counter
who has hunting videos? never bought one, have a couple gifts
who buys hunting books? never
who buys big name gear, Bows, Guns, calls etc.???? Martin bow
who drives a Chevy, Ford, Toyota pickup? Chevy, family crew cab
who has a 4-wheeler? Yep..never used it for hunting purposes
who buys seed for food plots? no
who owns equipment for setting up food plots? No

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Gene Wensel's "Come November" is the last "hunting" book I've bought, I loved the chapter where he described his loath for Iowa, it's residents, and how he thinks everyone who doesn't lease is freeloader</div></div>

Ouch..never claimed to be a fan, but will claim now to never be. Not an Iowan but still offended. Pretty sure everyone knows I am a teacher, but I am also the son of a farmer, who was the son of a farmer, and he was the son of a farmer. If farming was as good for the pocket book as some things, I'd be there farming beside my father. He was lucky enough to do that, but tough times on the farm are squeezing out the next generation. I'd love for my 2 sons to know there grandfather as well as I did, instead I'm 250 miles north. My dad's farm isn't located in prime whitetail country, more known for mule deer and great migratory birds. He's also got quite a few speedgoats on his land. The day will NEVER come where my father will expect anything from anybody who hunts his land except for respect....."fill in the pits". To Mr. Wensel they must be freeloaders, and as am I because I will never pay to access land because I was raised to believe being kind to your friends, neighbours and strangers is a pretty good reward way to live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing I question is SE Slayer, my lease payment runs me, lets say 1500 bucks, I talk to banks weekly, and have looked at many loans, 1500 bucks a year doesn't whiff the payment of land! Not even 20 acres! </div></div>

Andy...is it possible that the effects of leasing have made the affordability of 20 acres so difficult??? I cannot imagine living in a place where land costs what it does in some of those midwestern states. it's not b/c of high wheat prices or high soybean prices.

Again, I'm not personally attacking anyone, don't want it to seem that way. I respect everyone's opinion and whatever route they choose to pursue their passion. In all honesty...and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, I feel bad for some of you, b/c of what things have become.

Tonight...I'm going to enjoy the blackness and absolute silence of sitting outside my house after the boys have went to bed and love the fact that the only light I can see is from that of the moon, and I'll find peace knowing that if something should happen and I need help, I'll have to simply pick a neighbour from a few miles away, make a phone call and help will be there as soon as I need it. This thread has been enlightening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can lock yourself in your state and not allow any nonresidents; just don't get pissed when we say stay out of the west and no elk hunting for you. </div></div>

</div></div>Not bitching. I don't plan on going to IA to hunt for many years as I am booked up with the 11 big game species here, besides CO elk hunts. Just making comments about nonresident views by lease paying members on this site and how my belief is that nonresidents don't ruin hunting; LEASING DOES. </div></div>

That's the great thing about this site.......Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>I agree with you and still respect you too; even though you are wrong. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

my mammy told me if i aint got nuthin nice to say, not ta say nuthin at all. and if you got an opinion, keep it to yourself unless someone asks for it.
that being said, I only seen HCH ask two questions.
1. I wonder what would happen if all hunters boycotted leasing land? 2. Sky would fall????
the answer therein lies itself. It's simple. Some hunters lease land. Therefore, not all hunters would boycot.
And the answer to your answer of your own question is: The only way the sky is gonna fall is if you stand on your head and wait for someone to pick you up by your feet. Go give it a try and let us know if it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter </div></div> Still a bad deal to have me? </div></div>

What is the difference in available public land acres between Iowa and states such as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc...? [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
13 million acres BLM and 9 million USFS in NM. Total public hunting land 22 million acres </div></div>

So....can we keep this post going about IOWA!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I for one may be facing this very issue this coming fall. Just found out that my "permission granted" hunting ground may be sold to a dentist in the area and it'll get shutdown for hunting. Unfortunately I don't have a cool $608K to purchase the land or the $121,600 for the down payment.....

Since we only have two big game species to hunt in Iowa, I'd like to see what people think about leasing property. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

To be honest with you Kaare, I think Iowa is just catching up with everyone else as far as land prices go....apples to apples I speaking. $4.50 / bushel corn and 12 dollar beans are a big part of it also. I know ag land and timber are different, but a-lot of the time they're sold together in the same tract.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doublerack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I only seen HCH ask two questions.
1. I wonder what would happen if all hunters boycotted leasing land? 2. Sky would fall????

</div></div>
I asked several more but they haven't been answered. Here they are:

1.What would happen if EVERYBODY REFUSED to pay to hunt at the 4H ground??? Deer need hunted there and in the past there were always a limited # of hunters that got to hunt it. I am not singling anybody out with this statement, just using it is an example, please don't think I am. I have a good friend in Boone that pays to hunt there too.
A bunch of un answered questions in this next one:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i do think we need to restrict the amount of NR hunters.

</div></div>

a.From what I have read, IA gives out fewer nonresident deer tags than any state in the nation. What happens when you want to go out west and hunt elk and the state you are going to has a reciprocancy law that states you can't hunt here since we can't hunt there??
b.Are you saying that a landowner should not be allowed to lease his land to a nonresident or that a non resident should not be allowed to buy land in IA? Sounds like China or a 3rd world way of thinking. The only way I see is to stop the leasing practice all or nothing.
c.Not advocating this practice, but what would happen if leased lands by nonresidents were trespassed on by locals and posted-leased signs were ignored? What is a tresspass fee; $50? Do sheriffs have time to run around and chase trespass calls all day? Would the leasing continue if the posted signs that nonresidents put up were ignored, or would the leaser just say that it is not worth it and tuck his tail in betwen his legs and go elsewhere? What would happen to the price of timber? Would it go down in price dramatically? I believe so. I'm just saying........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Andy...is it possible that the effects of leasing have made the affordability of 20 acres so difficult??? </div></div>

OF COURSE NOT! LEASING IS GOOD FOR THE STATE OF IOWA! WHO WANTS TO START LEASING GROUND WITH ME!

I have a great idea. Let's just get a huge group of people, and go out and find as much ground as we can to lease. Then, we can start charging the people who live in this state to hunt there, and form a giant hunting club. That would be fun right? We could all draw straws to see which tree stand we are going to sit in for the morning, and then shoot the first 1 1/2 year old that walks by!

Wonder why hunting ground (timber) has went up on average over $1,700 an acre the past 15-20 years (rough estimate)?

I doubt leasing ground has anything to do with that! I mean, honestly, look at how many people leased hunting ground twenty years ago...oh wait, they didnt.

Before all of you start asking me if I buy magazines, movies, etc etc.....I realize that these variables are involved in the process, but the MAJORITY of the problems here are caused by the lease.....that slip of paper that binds you to that ground for a certain number of years, and then gets thrown out the window to the next guy that IS WILLING TO PAY MORE!

Man I should've went to school to be a doctor or something!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a great idea. Let's just get a huge group of people, and go out and find as much ground as we can to lease. Then, we can start charging the people who live in this state to hunt there, and form a giant hunting club. That would be fun right? We could all draw straws to see which tree stand we are going to sit in for the morning, and then shoot the first 1 1/2 year old that walks by!
</div></div>

Its IowaBama /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
For anyone who has witnessed this, (and yes, this does happen) it will truly make you glad to be an Iowan, at least what I consider an Iowan, for now anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Want to know what is ruining hunting in my opinion? Trophies!!!! Guess what, if know one got on a website and bragged about their kills then maybe it wouldn't be so bad! Maybe everyone wouldn't be leasing or buying up ground!

Maybe hunting shows, promoting products, states and animals, are killing hunting!
</div></div>

This I agree with 100% - the INTERNET. As much as I enjoy hunting forums as the next guy and meeting people and getting tips, I can't help but think the internet is causing many of the problems the hunting community is faced with in todays world...hell...not just the hunting community - the internet causes a lot of problems all over the world.

Top Bottom