Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rally for conservation, at the statehouse!!!

teeroy

Life Member
Rally for Conservation!

Join others at the Statehouse on April 9!

Please join other Iowans for a rally at the statehouse, in Des Moines, on April 9, to advocate in support of SJR-2002, the bill to establish a constitutionally-protected trust fund for natural resouces and outdoor recreation in Iowa.

For many years, Iowa has failed to commit the funds necessary to protect and enhance Iowa's natural resources and outdoor recreation opportunities. There are serious unmet needs before Iowa will have healthy water, land and wildlife.

This bill, SJR 2002 (formerly SSB 3250), is an important initial step helping us reverse this trend. It begins the process of establishing a trust fund to protect our natural resources and invest in outdoor recreation by amending Iowa's constitution to guarantee that revenue generated by the next 3/8 of one cent increase in Iowa's sales tax must be dedicated to protect and enhance water quality, natural areas, including parks and trails, fish and wildlife habitat, and soil conservation.

The fund would be constitutionally protected in the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund, audited annually and cannot be spent for any other purpose.

SJR 2002 is the result of two years of research and study led by bi-partisan members of the Iowa legislature along with many of the state's leading conservation, environmental, sportsmen, and agriculture advocates.

It is important to understand what this legislation does and what it doesn't do...

What it does
• It ensures that IF the legislature raises the sales tax, 3/8 of a cent must be dedicated to enhancing our state's natural resources

What it doesn't do
• This bill does not raise taxes, nor does it give voters the ability to raise the sales tax-only the legislature can do that.
• Even if this constitutional amendment is adopted, only the legislature can approve the sales tax increase that would be needed to provide funding

This constitutional amendment is a promise to Iowans of healthier water quality and wildlife and a top-notch system of parks and trails. It's our promise that Iowa's natural resources will be here for future generations. I hope you can join us at the rally.

Rally participants must first meet in the auditorium of the State Historical Bldg., at 9:30 a.m., April 9, to receive information and to talk about how to discuss this bill with Legislators. After that, we'll go up the Hill to the Capitol so that folks can speak face to face with their Representatives. It would be great to have folks from all 100 House districts. We are hoping to involve a minimum of 200 Iowans----the more the better.

If you are unable to get to Des Moines for the morning, please consider calling your Representative that day to encourage him or her to support this legislation.

Received this email from Rick this morning.

Tonight I secured funding for a bus from southeast Iowa traveling to Des Moines for the rally on April 9.
HyVee will be suppling coffee and donuts for the morning and Budwiser will supply beverages for the return trip home only. If you have anyone that you know in Lee, Van Buren, Des Moines, Henry, or Jefferson Counties that would like a free trip to the rally please have them call me at 319-372-5908. I want this bus filled to justify the spending of the money especially since I plan on doing this again next year. The money will be easier to obtain next year if I have a full bus. I can also be e-mailed if someone wants onboard.

Please Help!

Rick Tebbs

Iowa Whitetailers,

I think this is the best opportunity I've seen in my lifetime to provide long term funding for natural resources in Iowa. I hope to see many of you at the capital on April 9.

Old Buck

Top Bottom