Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Atrazine

marioncounty

I frost seeded switchgrass the first part of February. How long do I have, to spray the Atrazine? Seems like it rains every other day. I am located in Northeast Missouri.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marioncounty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I frost seeded switchgrass the first part of February. How long do I have, to spray the Atrazine? Seems like it rains every other day. I am located in Northeast Missouri. </div></div>

I hear ya on the rain... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

You can spray Atrazine on switchgrass at any time with out hurting the switchgrass, however atrazine is a pre-emergence type residual acting herbicide. It works best before weeds emerge although it can still do them some serious harm after the fact. I find that it just takes more of it, if applied later in the spring.

Timing won't harm the switchgrass if you need to wait until the "monsoons" are over... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Way back when atrazine was the only herbicide we used on corn, we could put crop oil with it to burn weeds that were already growing. Worked extremely well. Not sure if that is an option with switch grass. If you have emerged broadleaf weeds you could add some Banvel with out hurting the switch. DON'T add both Banvel and crop oil . Read the label on Atrazine. Increasing rates is not an option anymore. That stuff can wash off your field and do some damage downstream.

Check on Simazine, it is one of those strange things, it is not restricted use and it is stronger than atrazine it will last longer. Read the label you can mix with same herbicides as atrazine. Even shows a mix with atrazine. It costs a little more but it is not restricted. It is used on trees alot and it is listed at the 4lb. an acre rate for conifirs.

Top Bottom