Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot does with fawns?????

whitetailnut

This question has popped up a lot lately amongst friends. I personally have no problem shooting a mature doe with fawns. How many do you see without?? It seems the fawns usually latch on to another family group anyway. If you only shoot the old, old dried up wheeze bags, is that sound management? I know Alsheimer wrote a good article awhile back that said extreme management should include harvest of does of all ages. Even some yearling doe fawns. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but whats everyone's opinion??

Have no problem shooting does with fawns, by this time of the year the fawns will just hook up with some other deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetailnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This question has popped up a lot lately amongst friends. I personally have no problem shooting a mature doe with fawns. How many do you see without?? It seems the fawns usually latch on to another family group anyway. If you only shoot the old, old dried up wheeze bags, is that sound management? I know Alsheimer wrote a good article awhile back that said extreme management should include harvest of does of all ages. Even some yearling doe fawns. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but whats everyone's opinion?? </div></div>

Here's a recent discussion on this subject: Shooting does with fawns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many do you see without?? </div></div>

That's my thoughts exactly...every doe I see has fawns. I have a better chance of seeing an albino booner buck then a doe with no fawns!

The only exception is during the rut but the fawns will hook back up with the doe after she is bred (unless of course she's in someones freezer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

Sound managment on my place is to harvest as many does as possible. I don't take fawns simply because if I'm gonna spend 27 bucks, gut it, drag it, process it...I want some MEAT /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

By deer season, fawns are plenty old enough to survive on there own, in fact during the rut they get a pretty good taste of it no matter what, so worrying about the fawns is a moot point.

Beyond that, managment of your local deer depends on each landowners unique situation. Some areas have few deer and one might kill few if any antlerless deer.

In my situation I couldn't kill enough if it was my fulltime job (right now it's just a part time job... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

If it's a A) a doe B) NOT this years fawn C) Little or big D) Brown ...it's going in a freezer! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wow you guys summed up my feelings as well, I have been getting grief for this recently. But living in SW Michigan, knowledgeable deer managers are few and far between. I personally have never heard of anybody harvesting "too many" does.

I caught hell this year by family as well.I would rather shoot my does early with fawns,than mistake a button buck later on.

usally, when the mature doe comes into estrous, she will rid herself of her fawns. the young ones will try to keep up with their mama, but when the bucks begin the chase,they realize, were on our own.

i have been seeing lots of button bucks on thier own now....

i wouldnt worry about it, they will be just fine!

Top Bottom