Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it Prime-time?

Scooonie

I've seen plenty of deer over the past week but I've had less chasing then I've seen in the area where I'm hunting in years! I've seen numerous mature does without bucks trailing them much less chasing them. I have seen plenty of bucks cruising around but I'm sure of it that this years rut has yet to blow up!? I'm I the only one who is not seeing all the action or what? Are we still a little while before the "Prime-time"?

I am not a good resource probably as I have not seen "chasing" in the woods in most years. Yeah, about 10-14 days ago I saw some right before daylight for about 5 minutes but as far as anything like we all read about, NO. This morning, a mature doe with nobody on her trail. Later, a dink six out cruising. I was sitting a 100 yard wide creek corridor about 1/2 mile long with bigger blocks of timber N and S. I would think a classic cruising corridor this time of year but minimal activity from 7:00 AM till 11:45 AM. I think it just comes down to putting in the time and trying your best to stay positive until that magic 2-3 minute period comes along ??

I agree with you I think the best is yet to come. Next 5 days should be very hot around Mid-Missouri. I saw three buck on the way to work today dogging does. Wish I could cancel school for a couple of days and fill my bow tag and then go straight into rifle season.

I saw mature bucks chasing does the last week of Oct when it was still warm. As the temp has dropped so has the activity. Seen several immature bucks cruising but nothing following the does. I hope it picks back up since I passed on a couple shots during the heat and still have tags to fill.

Saturday I saw tons of small bucks sniffing the ground in the morning. Had 1 doe sitting behind me at 30yds with nothing around her.

Saturday Night saw a small 8 sniffing the ground also. Did not see any evidence of any chasing yet.

Sunday did not see a single deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I hadn't seen much chasing up here in SD either. Was out all weekend and didn't witness much but I went out all day yesterday and somebody flipped the light switch! Mature bucks chasing does all hours of the day.

It was like watching teenagers at a dance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooonie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really think it's a matter of time for things to BLOW-UP here in Iowa! </div></div>

I hope so. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

It's been really slow around here. I was seeing more deer when it was warm. Have not seen a buck chasing a doe yet, or following one for that matter. Haven't hardly seen any does at all, and what i have are by themselves. I have seen some smaller bucks cruising.

And already the wife is complaining. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

I am thinking within the next 5-6 days we are going to see things cut loose and explode! Then we will be in the prime time.

I'm not sure what to think of this year. I have good friends in WI, MN, ND, and here IA, and everybody seems to be having a really hard year, with very little rut activity thus far. I'm in the same boat as you guys... just hoping something breaks loose because it's been aweful quiet so far. It seems like a lot of little bucks are cruising, but most of the big bucks I've had an eye on all year are cruising around 3 a.m.

It'll happen. Good things are yet to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JakeWym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now til shotgun season is gonna be good. Just have to stay at it. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Glad to hear from you guy's! With the daily parade of big deer being posted on here, I thought maybe I was the lone ranger as far as seeing young deer!! I'm sure the warm weather expected for my area will stifle anything more than what I'm already seeing! Makes me cranky!!! Good Luck!!!

Lots of big deer take the dive this time of year, but year in and year out, Thanksgiving weekend will pump out nearly as many hogs as well. I spent too much time shooting pheasants in the early part of November (can't say I regret it) but plan to hit it hard between now and first shotgun. Keep at it...as many have said, it only takes 30 seconds to turn your season around.

NWBuck

Its just about to get really good. I saw a ton of movement in cornfields yesterday. If you have a stand on cut corn and have a decoy, get out there now!

I think last weekend, Nov 8th and 9th were full blown in my neck of the woods. I heard that from many others too. As far as a trickle rut or things being unusually slow, not here!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've been seeing smaller bucks cruising the last 2 weeks. saw a couple bigger ones Tuesday. No chasing here either. My buddy watched 13 does come out of a corn field and not one buck with them or around. So I would think good things are to come.

Top Bottom