Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drop dead date

Fishbonker

Life Member
I'm thinkin about planting RR forage beans and RR ready corn in my 330x40 foot plot this year. How late can I plant it and still expect ear and pod production?

What class of bean, not that I understand the class system, or day to mature corn should I look at?

I suppose I should consult with my designated tractor driver and his able assistant to confirm their avaiabillity, but I'm thinkin it would be the first or second week in July to plant.

Oh yeah, I'll be broadcasting it and cultipacking it in.

My other thought is forage beans and rye thinking the beans will attract deer till leaf yellow/drop, then the rye will attract deer then in late season the pods and rye will attract deer and give the turkeys something to scratch for.

Can I plant soys and rye at the same time? I'm sure I can, the better question is if I plant soys and rye at the same time will they both grow or will one out compete the other?

Several questions in one post, but I'm multitasking today.

The 'Bonker

It get's real tough to produce a corn crop when you plant in July. If you could get 90 day corn planted by the middle of June, you could expect some grain production, provided we weren't in a drought. If July is set in stone I would stick with soys and broadcast winter rye or wheat in Aug. before a rain. That size plot you could seed the rye/wheat with a hand spreader. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and planting that late the maturity of the beans won't be a huge issue. You will be mostly going for forage anyway, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm multitasking today.
</div></div>

Scared a that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soybeans respond to day length so the actual calendar date is highly influenced by latitude location. Each variety therefore has a narrow range of north to south adaptation. Soybean yield and quality are affected if a season ending freeze occurs before a variety reaches its physiological maturity. Dates of maturity are listed in the performance tables and indicate when the plants in a variety are observed and estimated to be physiologically mature. Usually harvest will commence approximately 7 to 14 days after the soybeans are physiological mature.

Relative maturity ratings are also provided for many of the varieties entered in the trials at various locations. These ratings consist of a number for the maturity group designation such as: (000, 00, 0 or 1) and followed by a decimal and another number, ranging from 0 to 9, which indicates maturity rankings within each maturity group.

For example the variety Jim is indicated as 00.6, making it a medium maturing variety in the 00 group. Walsh would be a 0.0 making it one of the earliest variety in the 0 group whereas Sargent is a 0.8 making it one of the later varieties in the 0 group.
</div></div>

So you need a number closer to 00 rather a larger number like 4 for instance.

Now...forage soybeans do not mature in our area, they are like a 9! They stay green all the way until freeze which cuts into grain yield considerablly.

This also makes it nearly impossible to establish rye or brassicas because they don't turn or drop leaves until freeze. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

This means they will turn and become unpalatable to deer right smack in the middle of hutning season...which is ok as long as you are aware of that.

Mid July is awful late to plant either corn or soys because dry summer weather can be a real problem, not so much for soys but corn can't take dry weather very well.

Looks like you are a good canidate for the 65 day corn!

Let us know how it works... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Bonker, if at all possible, you should try to get your soys and corn planted in the month of May. If you are in that window, you will get a pretty good crop.

If you are able to get into that window, I would plant 104-108 day corn and a 2.8-3.2 soybean. Both will mature and make good grain for your late season feed. Then, you can just broadcast your rye in around mid August.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I suppose I should consult with my designated tractor driver
The 'Bonker </div></div>

Sure, don't consult the help! Just be warned that this is the reason I got out of farming. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My planting time frame is pretty well cast in stone. My food plot is also fairway #4 in the FBO, the same fairway that I crashed the Rhino on. The FBO is in late June so by the time I burn down the weeds it will be an early July planting.

Still not sure what I'm gonna plant this year, butI'm leanin tword beans and rye.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">leanin tword beans and rye.
</div></div>

Planting that late I think I'd go that route and skip the corn... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Fairway in a food plot??? Why not! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Would you really notice playing the FBO from a food plot by the 4th hole? Start the plot early and make the game a challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you really notice playing the FBO from a food plot by the 4th hole? Start the plot early and make the game a challenge. </div></div>

Well, maybe not last year, but this year......you're right probably not.

The 'Bonker

I tried some corn last year on July 1 and it was a no go come fall. I would skip it. Plant oats/rye this spring, use it as a fairway, then plant Dwarf Essex Rape late late summer. It is a fantastic draw. Great viewing too if you can happen to see the area from the house. I had deer this year that would have a foot race to get to his stuff(thru other plots) and do the lab happy tail wag once they were in it and eating... Good stuff!

Top Bottom