Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ag Lime Help!!!

Hobart

Life Member
I am a dumb a_ _, I never read directions and now I have to laugh. Always used pelletized lime until this year. We got some good ag lime and I loaded it in my spreader. 4 -5 hundred pounds, got to the field and it compressed itself in the chute like silly puddy. Note to self: this lime is different. So I shoveled it all out and got it to spread but you could only put 100 pounds in there. Any more weight and it compressed.

Called around and was informed that I will need a drop spreader to put out the lime. Getting a wagon in there is not an option due to the tight quarters. Anyone here recommend a good drop spreader?

Joe

Here's some but they are pretty pricey unless you have tons to spread?

Gandy Turf Tender® Drop Spreaders

If you have a very small amount you could use a inexpensive one like this but you'd get your excercise!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Earthway 7350SU Drop Spreader

Some folks find it faster to drive a pickup slowly across the field while someone shovels the lime out the back... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Let us know what you come up with... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Wow some of these are a little pricey, The lil Limer $2400 delivered. Dbltree I think I will be shoveling out of the pickup.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hobart22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow some of these are a little pricey, The lil Limer $2400 delivered. Dbltree I think I will be shoveling out of the pickup.

Thanks </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Next time you might want to check out the Super Cal-98 on the second page of this link...

Using Lime

So in your story you said if put in a 100lbs it would spread? Did you spread it all or not?

Sorry I know 0 about liming, just wondering.

you guys will think im crazy but I just got done spreading 1600 pounds of pelletized ag lime through a quad mounted spreader. And did some with a bag seeder that will only hold 20 lbs. I have five small food plots none bigger than 1/4 acre, some that are only accessible by foot. I throw down 2-300 pounds per plot each spring for cheap "insurance". Seems like a lot of work, but besides frost seeding and shed hunting, what else ya gonna do right now??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did some with a bag seeder that will only hold 20 lbs </div></div>

Great excercise... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Yes the ag lime did spread but 100 pounds does not go far. Ended up bagging about 1000 pounds and throwing them in my bucket of my tractor. I'd load up the hopper and spread then stop and load, etc. My back has been killing ever since. Ended up calling Farm Service in Oskaloosa and they had a bunch of Pelletized lime. For my purposes it makes more sense to use pelletized lime every year. I can't see dropping all that cash on a good drop spreader.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ended up calling Farm Service in Oskaloosa and they had a bunch of Pelletized lime. </div></div>

I think FS handles the SuperCal-98 pellet lime. Just curious, do they handle that in bags or just bulk?

Be eaiser for plotters if the handled it in bags... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Didn't ask if they bag the stuff. You're right that would be great if you could get it bagged. However, they did not have any of the Super Cal 98 locally. They had some stored 2 hours away.

Joe

Top Bottom